Curious if anyone on this forum has opinions on any of these mics:

$200-300
Rode NT1

$100-200
Sennheiser MK4 (used)
Shure SM27 (used), KSM32 (used)
Audio Technica AT2035, AT4040 (used)
AKG P220

Thanks. I don’t want to buy blind, and I’m very inexperienced with condensor microphones. This is for recording voice / lead vocals (male), percussion and room ambience. I record to DAW but also Octatrack MKII (using send from my interface). My home studio is untreated but not in a bad sounding room.

The AT4040 is a bit of a swiss army knife in my opinion, sounds great on a lot of different sources. The only other one on your list I’ve personally used is the NT1, but it didn’t leave much of an impression on me - honestly can’t really remember if I liked the sound or not.

1 Like

i can only speak for the AT4040. used it quite a lot many years ago. it´s a nice solid mic. a friend of mine still uses that mic for vocal recordings. must be nearlly 20 years now and he treated it not very well. it looks terrible today but still works fine for him.

1 Like

Thanks all, at4040 seems like as good as any to try first.

1 Like

Audiotechnica mics are generally well regarded. Doubt you can go wrong with the 4040.

The røde mics are a curious thing. Many people seem to have em, but few really love them… I certainly don’t love my NT-2A. It’s not terrible or anything, its just very uninspiring sound somehow IMO

1 Like