Firmware update without computer

Hi,

I am receiving an AR soon and was wondering if it is possible to update its firmware without a computer. I have none at home.

I have an iPad i can connect with the USB adapter only. I heard about an application “midi tool box” that can send and receive sysex, does it work ? I heard about sysex base also…

Thanks for your help.

sysex base should be able to do it, as long as you can unzip the elektron archive to gain access to the syx file. Remember to set your AR to send and receive via USB.

IIRC there should be no risk in upgrading like this, as the AR will not get bricked if the syx dump fails. But please correc me if I’m wrong!

never tried it but yea this should work…
the OS sysex files are actually several smaller sysex messages (128 bytes each) combined into a larger file. Any program which can just stream out a combined sysex file like this will do.

I will try this and report back, thank you !

Following with great interest !!!

Yeah maybe PAY ATTENTION to the energy saver on the IPAD so it not turn OFF when you upgrading at least… don’t know if it works i never try.

Tell us if it works :wink:

it should work…i did it once with my iphone and a yamaha i-mx1 via miditoolbox without problems :wink:

I just successfully updated Digitakt to 1.03 using my girlfriends Android smartphone, Syx-Lib app and an OTG-USB cable.

It is not as easy to find an Android device capable of running Syx-Lib and OTG as one might think, but not impossible either.
Transferring the file took several minutes but apart from that, everything went very smooth.

Special thanks to my gf for lending her precious phone, our vacation is now saved! :sunglasses:

2 Likes