Finding it hard to love my new RYTM

Haha yes I remember, our parents asked us - the kids - to program the damn machine :joy:

2 Likes

I had such a row between my OT and RYTM today before leaving for the airport as to which one would come with me for a few days on the road, I ended up leaving them both at home as punishment.

Now I feel awful.

QY100, the OP-Z from 2001, made the grade though.

6 Likes

Oh yes! My mum used to point the remote at the video like it was going to burn her face off if she pressed the wrong button!
Way back when we had to RTFM :joy:

I’m actually watching the A-Team now!

5 Likes

Love television= love life
Best screenshot ever

2 Likes

Th Rytm is a deceptively complex and powerful machine… after 18 months of owning mine I’m only really realising how much so. I felt the same and quite frustrated for a while however now I realise that it can actually create all those samples your loading into it.

It also has the added benefit of plying samples through analog filter, amp with that amazing overdrive, analog compressor and over bridge once its released for mk 2 will change the way you work.

Don’t give up early you wont know what you’ve missed.

The secret is not to try and replicate generic drum sounds.
The RYTM’s strength is strange noises imo

1 Like

I use a lot of samples with the Rytm but I always layer in the analog engines with them.

Have you explored the scenes or performance pads yet? I think I fell in electronic love when I first started messing with performance macros on the Rytm.

I find chromatic mode really useful and I love punching beats and melodies in on those pads.

Have you checked your compressor settings?

I had some bad sounding juju going on and didn’t realize the compressor was squashing my beats’ balls.

And lastly, it’s just so natural to punch beats in with the pads in live record mode. I find this missing when working with the Digitakt. I use them both quite differently

1 Like

Funny, I’ve considered selling my DT for a RTYM mk2. The individual outs and performance features being the main draw. Oh, and Parts…now that I have been using an OT for a month or so, I see the value of parts. Then again, the DT is so fun and fast, I doubt I’d sell it anytime soon. Probably just keep saving up for a RYTM.

Rytm has no parts though?

IMO the parts paradigm on the OT is half-cooked. If one could stack parts like scenes, that would be nextlevel :diddly:

1 Like

Thank you guys. I’m gonna stick with it for a bit. I’ve been reading about using the LfO in one-shot mode, and the hpf and peak filter (instead of low pass) to get some extra low end in my kicks… I’m gonna keep at it for now. :drum::+1:

3 Likes

Same story here. Bought a Digitakt, never looked back and enjoying it.

Also, I got better results at drum synthesis with the Analog Four or the Digitone than the Analog Rytm.

he meant “kits” probably.

1 Like

I personally find it to excel when you really push the engines and go weird with it. It can create some really far out sounds. My tip would be to try not to make a kick engine sound like a kick, try to get a snare to sound like something else than a snare, etc. Build a couple of kits that way and see if you enjoy that. I love to use it this way, but depending on the music you make, it might not fit you, of course. :slight_smile:

agreed. I don’t see the point in trying to recreate roland or kawai drum sounds with any form of synthesis when it’ll always sound better to just run samples of them through the rytm signal path. you can just enjoy that luxury while embracing the alien stuff you can pull out of the rytm synth engines and no other drum machine ¯_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

Do you have a track that you can share that you feel best represents your music?

I’m curious about potential welcoming of your music to it

Edit: also, the OT is not that bad. Will take you only 5 deep minutes to get started on it- and then the learning is super fun on it after that

Thing is even if you only use samples, the RYTM colors the sound with analog richness in such an amazing way that the DT doesn’t

2 Likes

What’s the one trick?

I kinda have two sides musically…

Sometimes I make dance music… along these lines: https://soundcloud.com/inceptomusic/eko-centrik-rage-against-the-machine-original-mix-microbios

And sometimes more mellow electronica style… like this: https://soundcloud.com/inceptomusic/sets/eko-centrik-dream-catcher-ep

I like to sing, so usually vocals feature somewhere!

5 Likes

And it always taped fucking ALF instead.

4 Likes

The distortion and compressor settings are crucial. Just even a light glaze will do wonders.

That chain was the predecessor to the Heat after all.