Finally, the perfect mixer? [Allen & Heath QuPac]

I don’t own one yet, but… maybe? You should probably check out the PDF manual.
One solution would be to just use the main Rytm outs for that (unless you’re using those for internal Rytm FX), or use a device like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GJCA6M/

Hi there,
you could use both entries at the same time but however I ensure you’ll loose nearly a 50 - 60 % of the signal for both entries. I connected just for error a line input in the same channel I had the microphone and I was confused so that channel wasn’t sounding properly. Then I realized they were sharing the same input.
Regards.

I used a splitter on one input for a while, and that worked fine. Maybe try that before using both the xlr and line input.

I haven’t had a chance to really do my cheer for the Qu-Pac, but here goes…

I’ve always been mixer-less (other than a couple of very small mixers for when I had my gear in a flight case), and for a long time relied on an Echo Audiofire12 to be my pseudo-mixer. So a couple of my biggest needs was to be able to interface with my computer and be able to route anything with ease. The Qu-Pac offers both of these things, albeit, the interfacing is a bit confusing at first because if your inputs/outputs are in use with physical hardware, you can’t have that on if you want to bus sound from various virtual inputs from your computer.

Anyhoo, if you’re new to digital mixers it’ll probably take you a couple hours to wrap your head around everything and how it works. And after that, you’ll wanna figure out how you wanna configure it to your needs. I have a couple of default scenes (default hardware scene and default computer scene so I can listen to my computer’s sound on my monitors). Then, for specific songs/tracks, you’ll have to create specific scenes so that your routings/eq etc are to your liking.

I think it’s perfect for the musician who plans on using it in a studio environment…and even if you’d wanna take your tracks on the road, it’s pretty straightforward to recall a scene for a specific song to play.

It’s quite the swiss army knife of a mixer, and! I just received an email about a new firmware that’s right around the corner, so hopefully there’ll be some new bells and whistles to further promote its usefulness in your studio :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting your thoughts., zfigz.
And thanks to Olaf for talking me out of a Qu-16 on Facebook.

I’ve thought about some fun ways to use groups and soft keys together, as parallel FX busses, with the goal of spicing up live recordings with OP-1. Soft keys assigned to mute groups, acting as four more FX memory buttons, as found on the OP-1.

The fact that all of everything has a parametric EQ on it is wonderful. I envision these groups receiving very selective bandpass filter style EQing, before sending to FX (both internal and my Pigtronix Echolution 2 Deluxe), so that only specific frequencies are effected, frequencies that are unique to various instruments in the OP-1 composition.

Of course, this will apply / can be applied to any other input, and my Rytm and A4 will get the treatment. I’m just particularly enthusiastic about getting even more out of my OP-1, in a realtime performance style that is very OP-1 esque.

4 internal groups to use with internal stereo Qu-Pac FX, plus the mono and stereo mix busses (aside from main L/R) to use in the same manner (as 4 DCA groups), as sends to hardware FX, via XLR Mix Outputs. Hardware FX outputs sent back into Qu-Pac input channels. A signal stereo OP-1 with 2 internal (OP-1), 4 internal (Qu-Pac) and 4 external hardware momentary FX memories, utilizing 4 pairs of Qu-Pac hardware inputs for hardware FX returns. 8 soft keys for this. Will be completely insane. I’ll need to make a video.

I will be ordering my Qu Pac next week and hopefully will receive it before next weekend.
Excited!

2 Likes

It looks like you’ve really thought you setup through! :slight_smile:

I have my softkeys set to primarily mutes (which I’m not using as much as I thought I would), clear PAFL (which I have since gotten working well using the ALT out), previous/next scene, and saving/recalling scenes. Depending on what’s around the corner with the new firmware, I might change the scenes around.

I’m using Q-Control for most all levels as well as some other things I can’t quite remember, and then I have all my channels set up for the bottom green keys (I have only one that is not set so that it’s a space between my individual channels and my final mix L/R).

I’m really loving being able to think of crazy/interesting routings and then just saving it as a scene to recall. So much better than either a patchbay or having to deal with interface software.

Hey Guys i receive and tested my Behringer X18 (X18 and XR18 is basically the same XR is slightly lighter in weight and aux are in XLR rather than Jacks)

I must admit that’s exactly what i’m looking for and for the price it’s fantastic. I do not have the Qu-Pac to compare and i will not because it’s really not the same price range so no doubt about the quality comes with the price (often…)

But 18 inputs with soundcard 18in / 18out and 4 Stereo Effects Bus with a lot of model to choose (and very not bad that’s the one from the X32 so…)

So for those who’s like me, don’t have 1525 euros to spend in the A&H Qu-Pac take the X18-XR18 you will not regret it (and if you already have an ipad like me it’s better for sure) because from its 625 euros i can say it’s quite capable !

I buy it with Live in mind firstly but maybe i will use it for recording purpose. If i’m not happy i will buy a pro soundcard but for now it seem ok… (Live purpose i mean mixing and recall mixing parameters and FX)

Cheers Everyone

EDIT : I haven’t investigate much on latency subject because i only use my computer as multitrack recorder so i have not my computer act like another machine in my setup to play in sync with my setup so i don’t care about latency. all tracks coming in the computer comes exactly at the same time so if i have some blank at the beginning i just cut it. (latency with FX or EQ, compressor not choking me it’s very usable as it is…) Recording is taken at 24bits 48khz wich is ok for me.

Yea, I don’t understand the computer latency concerns with digital mixers.
The whole idea is to mix, process, and route things all within the mixer so that you can hear the effect of that BEFORE those tracks hit the computer and any latency.

Regarding prices. The X18 looks great for the price. I never pay full price for gear, though, so my Qu-Pac will comes in at $1099 US (shipped) for an “open box”, literally a box that is opened by the dealer for the sole purpose of selling it at a lower rate than the MAP. Are these types of deals available anywhere in Europe?

Zfigz, sounds like you’ve taken great advantage of the Qu-Pac’s customizations!

v 1.9 firmware is out!
Click here for the latest Software for all Qu products.

Thanks

Woooo!!! So much good news today, got a job after a series of interviews and my qu-pac’s new firmware, score!

Thanks adamjay, you got the news out to me faster than a&h could.

Can QU mixers do sidechain compression?

Like say kick is on channel 1 and bass on channel 2… Csn I route channel 1 kick into channel 2’s compression sidechain input???

The new v 1.9 firmware ducker with attack/hold/release can mimic side chain compression.
Similar concept, different execution.

Awesome … Qu16 arrives tomorrow

Aye, responded to your earlier post. Adamjay’s got you!

Anyhoo, the duck feature works pretty well, but it’s not the same…more subtle.

I’m having XR18, but I just ordered a Qu-24. XR18 is really good for what it is, pretty flexible and cheap for what you can do with it.
I just couldn’t stand the touch screen operation with it (have a dedicated cheapo win tablet with full windows application) and I run out of connections.

Hopefully Qu-24 will really let me work less with computer, with hands on controls on “everything”. And recording directly to drive, without hassle and arming on laptop. I have watched a ton of videos how Qu and Behringer X32 mixers work and I feel that Qu workflow is much more intuitive. Touch screen operation looks great (you can select from touch screen and then operate with physical knobs) compared to X32.

Also ordered a second H9 pedal to help with the effects. And now… I’m not going to buy any more gear this year!!!

The Behringer Mixer is actually more expensive, when you consider the recording feature, for the Behringer X32 you need an expansion card to connect an USB drive.

It took me like 4 weeks to decide on the qu pack , but i found often, that when i buy cheap and miss some feature i will have to pay later for the thing which i originally wanted. I can now record without the computer, and that freedom was worth it.

True, the recording feature was one thing which made me decide for Qu-24. One thing which is superior on X32 - you can buy a stage box which expands the mixer. On Qu - you get separate connection points, but you don’t get more channels. There X32 clearly wins, it would be nice to have an option to expand when you run out of inputs. But then you need to deal with more layers and things get more complicated to understand just by glance.

The Qu-Pac can be expanded with a stage box as well.

1 Like

^ Yes indeed, I added a AB-168 to my QuPac and now have 38 inputs, the 8 outs on the AB-168 can be assigned either as mix outs that mirror the mix outs on the mixer or as group outs which is pretty handy.

The new QuControl app is pretty nice, this mixer just keeps getting better and better.

1 Like