Finally, the perfect mixer? [Allen & Heath QuPac]

I am not yet using all ins but all outs and I am keen to make use of the digital AES out, converting it into analog.

The expander apparently only adds inputs and no outputs (the outputs on the expander are remote versions of the ones in the system, I believe).

Although @zfigz says there are solutions for less than 1000$, I have yet to find a simple solution that does just the “cable conversion” AES-2-Analog (no need to buy a recorder as well). I searched for quite a while an also asked Thomann and A&H for suggestions, with no result. There surely must be a 300$ adapter/converter? Any suggestions are much appreciated … likely that I am too stupid to search for it, but I did try for some time :slight_smile:

Olaf

• Behringer SRC2496 Ultramatch Pro

• Old M-Audio Flying Cow

Make sure to use a proper AES cable, not just a standard XLR cable.

1 Like

Thanks! Both not available from Thomann in Germany and most other stores I tried. I will try my luck tomorrow morning with one offer on e-Bay.

i’m using the AR84 expander for an additional 8 inputs for multitracking drums. and yeah, the 8 outs allow you to mirror any of the mixes (groups, mix matrix, mixes, etc).

I have a question.
I have band - piano, cello, two violins and vocalist.
Is it possible to use QU-Pac this way:

Everybody needs their own monitors. Pianist needs to hear piano and cello. Cellist wants to hear piano, cello and violins. Violins wants to hear a bit of cello, violins and piano. singer wants to hear piano and itself. Main mix is with small echo, but monitors are dry. And I want to adjust all from distance, with iPad. Is it possible with Qu-Pac?

1 Like

Yes, its made for that, you can connect also personal monitoring sub mixers to it.

http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/me-1/

1 Like

Funny how sidechain compression is so indispensable to some users. I’ve used sidechain compression maybe twice, and it was for de-essing in both cases :wink:

1 Like

Using the QuPac with the AR 84 expansion.

I maintain that the A&H QuPac is almost perfect. After using a DJ mixer for a while, I am now back to the QuPac for mixing in live setup. For each pattern or scene (song) on the Elektrons one can have a dedicated scene on the QuPac, which means that EQing, compression, effects etc could be, with all setting, recalled with the press of a button. I don’t think there is any other mixer with that small size and yet amazing flexibility.

I now ordered the AR 0804 / AR84 expansion, which gives eight additional inputs. Unfortunately, the device has to go back right away - unusable in a studio due to the loud fan :frowning:

The fan is unfortunately not low noise, and starts right away, not just in heated situations.

That does not spoil it but in case someone was considering the expansion, I wanted to share my experience.

8 Likes

yah, this ^

such a loud fan, but i deal with it.

Which cable I need to use if want to use Heat?
I understand that I should take signal out from Stereo Mix outputs (pair of female XLR’s) to Heat input (pair of mono Jack’s).
and from Heat output (pair of mono Jack’s) back to Qu-pac input (pair of mono Jack’s).

But there is no such cables availabe- pair of female XLR to pair of mono Jacks. Should I use two separate “female XLR to mono jack” cables?

yes there are

1 Like

Link? At least I can’t find such cable in Thomann.

purchased mine off of amazon if that helps, i think.

Inputs and outputs of Analog Heat are both balanced (do some research on this term if you don’t know anything about this).
So you can (and should) use XLR <-> stereo jack cables (such as above link), that’s the best way.

1 Like

Thanks!

Heat quick start manual says:
8. INPUT L/R, Audio inputs. Use either 1/4” mono phone plug (unbalanced connection) or 1/4”
(Tip/Ring/Sleeve) phone plug (balanced connection).
9. OUTPUT L/R, Main audio outputs. Use either 1/4” mono phone plug (unbalanced connection) or
1/4” (Tip/Ring/Sleeve) phone plug (balanced connection).

So I can use both Balanced and Unbalanced cables??
Am I correct that I can use Balanced cables “XLR to Jack” from Stereo mix output to Heat input (two cables) and unbalaced cabel “Jack to Jack” back to Qu-Pac (let’s say Stereo IN 2)?

Qu-pac to Heat two these cables -> https://www.thomann.de/intl/ee/cordial_cfm_15_fv_klinkexlr_kabel.htm
From Heat back to Qu-pac Stereo IN this cable -> https://www.thomann.de/intl/ee/cordial_cfu_15_pp.htm
Or I should use from Heat back to Qu-pac Stereo IN this (two cables) -> https://www.thomann.de/intl/ee/cordialcfm_15_vv.htm

And yes, really I don’t know much about this. I’m trying to understand. But it’s a bit hard because manual says that I can use balanced or/and unbalanced cables. So…

For the TRS cables with two rings, it also works woth the cables with one ring (mono, unbalanced) since you have very short distances. In principle, the TRS (tip-ring-sleeve, two rings) is better for noise rejection. In practice, with short cables, it shouöd not matter.

I have the heat behind the QuPac main out and don‘t feed it back in.

2 Likes

Thanks Olaf.
But in your way you lose ability to record the final mix with Qupac. Also you can’t monitor the final mix througt Qupac monitor and headphones output.
Ho do you record your mix? Do you have external recorder??

you are right, you then can‘t record the final output with the QuPac … but with the AH since it has a soundcard. My focus is not on recording at the moment, so I don‘t want to waste any input :wink:

2 Likes

With the QuPac you won‘t record through the headphone out but via USB.

How happy you are with screen? I noticed when I press to screen there are some “waves” or don’t know how to call it, like you push your laptop screen…
Of course it’s not so important, sound is the no 1, just asking :slight_smile: