Finally, the perfect mixer? [Allen & Heath QuPac]

For recording to an USB (Qu)Drive there is a limitation, 18 channels, page 75 of the manual … I think. Best, Olaf

1 Like

18 tracks? thanks, good to know.

I wonder if I could use my iPad and Auria Pro for recording all 22 channels simultaneously… If not, I’ll have to group some busses to get all 22 tracks down to 18. Should be doable as long as I can do all the surgical equing before hitting the USB.

1 Like

firmware update v1.93

http://www.allen-heath.com/key-series/qu-series/#tab5

nothing exciting, mostly an update for the SQ series. the only new feature for qu-pac users is the Automatic Mic Mixer now has a Follow Fader option so the sidechain input can be affected by the channel fader.

1 Like

I have a few questions that I have not been able to figure out from Google and manuals. Excuse me if these have already been answered…

I know the QuPac can record 16 mic ins w/ preamp and a line level stereo in or two. You can also connect with USB to a computer to stream these inputs into a DAW. Can the mix outs work with a DAW, however? If I were to plug this into a computer could I use the sends for a multi channel audio interface (say I wanted to do a quadraphonic performance)? If this is the case, what is the full spec of I/O for a DAW (how many outputs at once, general latency)? I am curious about using this for performance with a computer alongside recording.

Secondly, I am guessing the recording quality is similar to RME?

Last, any way to connect a controller to a QuPac for real time control of the parameters? I just want to set up aux sends for recording.

I use one at work in conjunction with a Funktion 1 PA so I’m aware of the rest about these mixers

You could assign the groups as output to your DAW if that answers the question? Full spec is 32 Channel via USB stream, if used with an external converter. (They have some avialable through the snake extension plug out.)

So the ten mix outs and stereo main out (12 total) are all assignable as audio outs in a DAW?

If so, golden, I’ll be picking one up ASAP then

EDIT: The Qu series manual is pretty vague, the QuPac spec sheet is direct - all channels at 24 bit/48k.

1 Like

Using a matrix you can assign each of the 32 USB out channels to whatever you like. E.g. main out on USB out 1/2, input 1 on USB out 3, Group 1 on USB out 7/8. It’s pretty flexible.

From your DAW you can send 32 channels of audio to the Qu. On each input you choose if it uses the USB stream, Dsnake or the physical input. There’s a fixed relation beteeen the USB channel number and input channel number.

1 Like

Hi guys!
I have a question about Qu-Pac. What is the benefit over Ableton?
I mean, if I use only Elektron gear which have Overbridge, I can get all separate track anyway. And also I can use A4 input if I have other gear. Qu-Pac does not have physical EQ buttons, faders etc. It’s digital with display, I can do it all also in Ableton. Or am I wrong?
I want a good mixer, for jamming and also for recording. My idea is to get something like Mackie 1642 VLZ4 (which has all buttons and faders) and just record from Heat output (mixer output out goes to Heat).
I probably can not understand the things well, please help me understand.

The obvious benefit is you don’t need a computer :wink:

1 Like

I have a question about Qu-Pac. What is the benefit over Ableton?

Well, I suppose what @LyingDalai mentioned…you don’t need a computer, but! if you want to record to your DAW, you can also do that.

The reason I like it so much is that it’s so easy to route anything to anything…I’ve recently started using the iPad app (or there’s an Android app that’s quite good) and it’s been a huge change in workflow. As good as the onboard menu is, using a tablet is so much more efficient especially when it comes to controlling eq/comp/etc.

I mean, if I use only Elektron gear which have Overbridge, I can get all separate track anyway. And also I can use A4 input if I have other gear. Qu-Pac does not have physical EQ buttons, faders etc. It’s digital with display, I can do it all also in Ableton. Or am I wrong?

Sure, you can use Overbridge instead of analog inputs.

I want a good mixer, for jamming and also for recording. My idea is to get something like Mackie 1642 VLZ4 (which has all buttons and faders) and just record from Heat output (mixer output out goes to Heat).

and yeah, this would work…but you’d lose the ability to multitrack/mix, among other things, using your DAW.

1 Like

It seems like there’s a lot more love for the qu pac than there is for the qu-16/24 etc

Wondering if this is just because of size.

Finally realizing having a piece of gear like this is a necessary if you don’t want to record using your computer but you’d also still like to be able to track out your stuff.

And does anyone use an analog heat with one of these?

Do you run your mixer into it setup a group bus to send to it or is it possible with overbridge to give each channel its own AH effect?

I’ve just been running my current mixer (Mackie 1202vlz) into the heat as sort of a master compressor but would be really nice to effect each one of my inputs differently and then maybe throw one on the master channel as well.

The QuPac has a bigger inside than its 16 ch fader version - you get the brain of the 32 fader version. It is suprising how well the control with the display and one knob works - no need for the faders etc, for me. I also don‘t use the app anymore because the design is so good. My main problem is that the options with this thing are so plentyful that one can get lost. It is like with the Elektron machines - lots of options to explore, I am not suprised that this thing is enjoyed here :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m now using a QU24. It’s actually quite compact as a mixer. I do use the faders on-stage, to live mix - especially since I’m often mixing my musical partner.

Wondering if this is just because of size.

it’s a big reason why i got it…size and # of ins/outs/features.

And does anyone use an analog heat with one of these?

Do you run your mixer into it setup a group bus to send to it or is it possible with overbridge to give each channel its own AH effect?

not an AH, but i send my whole mix thru a stereo compressor into a dsd recorder using both the main outs and the aes digital signal.

Hi @zfigz, do you have a suggestion on how to convert the digital AES out into an analog signal? I could not yet find a use for this output. Since I feed everything into another DJ mixer, I’d love to convert the AES out.

2 Likes

yah, i’m using a da3000 to convert it from digital to analog…there are a lot of cheaper options out there. search for AES to Analog or something like that and a bunch of options should come up.

Just a heads up, I visited bome.com the other day to check for bome updates, and seems like BMT and bomebox now support the Qu series mixers! This means that using ext USB MIDI controllers for controlling the QuPac mixer channels etc should be possible, with or without a computer.

This sealed the deal for me. I am getting a QuPac next summer. EDIT: ended up getting an SQ5 instead

2 Likes

Still pretty in love with this mixer.
I use all 22 analog inputs.
As my gear configs change, it’s so flexible and so its a constant, always stays.
Out of curiosity, I spent the morning looking at other, newer, options, and for the $$ there really aren’t any.
Sure there are a few interface + adat converter combo options but I won’t do that again without a dedicated word clock i/o for synchronization, and the options that have those are cost prohibitive, when compared to the qu pac, and only offer 16-18 inputs at most.

If I could ask A&H to do one thing, it would be provide a Mac/Windows mixer editor like Motu and Metric Halo have. A port of the iOS editor would work. Something that would just require the USB connection and not a network.

2 Likes

I had a friendly chat via e-mail with someone from A&H about the Qu-Pac and communicated the oft-repeated feature request regarding the ducker settings to allow it to pump the volume more rhythmically. Passed along a link to this thread as an example of how much demand there was among hardware gear heads for using the mixer in this way. Was a productive chat, but of course no promises made. In the end its by no means a deal-breaker but I bet the feature would help sell more units for sure as all hardware forums these days (re: MPC X and Live) are always filled with the “what no sidechain?!?” commentary.

3 Likes

i had used the Android app on my phone but the interface wasn’t much better than using the internal interface. i have an ipad for work and started using that recently and it’s been a joy to set eq/comp/levels.

as for a network, i’ve used it with a WiFi extender and it works great. just so much easier to navigate it / mobile.