Finally, the perfect mixer? [Allen & Heath QuPac]

i purchased an expander to just add further inputs/outputs to it. i hate unplugging/plugging things.

Is it possible to control the QuPac via midi controllers like the Launch Control XL or Xone K1 direct or via the App on the Ipad? Just in case I would miss some faders or buttons at a certain moment. Have been looking for it online but found only some vague answersā€¦ it seems to be possible with a midi-usb host like iConnectMidi4? Anybody tested this?

Yes it will work with a midi host controller, I tested it briefly using a kenton usb host and a novation remote zero I used to have, but I could not be bothered to program the novation and sold it, so now I just use my ipad on the rare occasions when I want to change more than one level at a time.

I want to thanks the main actors of this thread that oriented my choice for a hardware mixer/recorder. I bought a QPAC, a month ago, and Iā€™m really satisfy.
I havenā€™t computer, so recording was a problem, Equing was a problem, compress and plug all my gear too.
Now, where are my problems? Forgotten.
Thanks a lot guys :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@elenacortes Yes for us guys who do not want to have a computer in the setup a QuPac is ideal, even though its primarily marketed at live/installation applications by A&H.

I think initially the user interface takes a little getting used to, but once you get it the customisation options are extremely valuable, you can have a scene setup for your default setup, then say a scence for USB playback, a scene for mastering pre-recorded material, etc. and that you can name almost every aspect of the scenes and save them to USB thumb drive with a scene name means that for example you can pick up where you left off if wanting to work on many different projects, for example.

Then the fact that you can save all your fx and processing separately and name them for later recall, well that is the icing on the cake, I have found that the internal fx whilst a little lacking in number of types/algorithms mostly sound very good, and are deep enough to create some nice custom fx.

I could go on and on about the QuPac, but Iā€™ll close by saying that A&H are underselling it IMHO, so many features and great implementation, it is easily the best Ā£1200 (bang for buck) I have spent on music equipment, the only thing that lets it down is the meagre 12 month warranty.

3 Likes

I would second that it is a great mixer, but also for use with a DAW. Iā€™ve found the 32/32 USB streaming to be rock solid and the routing very versatile.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got a few quotes now, so close to buying something. What are the reasons you guys chose the Qu-Pac instead of the X32 Rack?

To be honest? Brand.

The QuPac seems more suited to synths having 1/4 jacks, the inputs and outputs suit me better, the user interface, styling, and not a fan of Behringer and especially their use of blindingly bright horrid blue LEDs (although I donā€™t know if the X series have these)

3 Likes

Yeah the X32 would have been better if it had those dual use inputs Behringer put on their XR18 that accept balanced and unbalanced XLR and 1/4 jacks.

I donā€™t have much experience with Behringer apart from their BCR2000, but that is great. Iā€™m more surprised Allen & Heath only stand behind their products with a 1 year warranty.

1 Like

super keen for one of the Qu Pacs, warranty or no warranty. Sounds perfect. No computer whatsoever.

Talking of sound, how are the A-D converters on the Allen and Heath?

my experience with an rme fireface was amazing, brilliant qualityā€¦ also they had some kind of anti-jitter technology, but that was a soundcard.

If the Qu Pac is used as a standalone mixer/recorder, I guess there would not be jitter issues as it isnā€™t a computer as such.

Yeah the 1 year warranty is ridiculous these days, hate to say it but since they moved manufacturing to China I have had 2 A&H products go wrong, 1 just outside of warranty, after the first I considered never to buy A&H gear again. But simply put the Qu-Pac was the only mixer that ticked all the boxes for me. Note - Iā€™m not criticising Chinese manufacturing as a whole, as I have have tons of other gear made in China with no issues, even after years of use.

If you buy from some dealers you can get a free 3 year warranty, Thomann being one example, so Iā€™d suggest if considering a Qu-Pac or any Allen and Heath product make sure you get a longer warranty.

2 Likes

Side note re repairs outside of warranty, I was quoted Ā£70 per hour plus parts plus VAT, consider that these days most repairs are not performed at component level, so you will most likely be looking at a whole PCB being swapped out, and all the expense of the new board and labour intensive disassembly and reassmbly might even make a repair uneconomical - not easy to swallow on a > Ā£1000 device.

Just something to consider when spending over a grand.

4 Likes

One other point about the Qu expanders, currently there are none available with 1/4" jacks so if you want to use 1/4" and expand your Qu you will need adapters or cables to convert and it can get expensive, I contacted A&H about the possibility of making a unit with either combo jacks or just 1/4" but they were none too interested, maybe if enough people asked they might reconsider.

1 Like

For my use the converters are fine, they sound very good to me, although I have not used anything else to compare against, they sound transparent with no obvious coloration and handle a wide range of instruments and microphones very well.

Maybe @AdamJay will be the best guy to comment on how they compare with a dedicated audio interface.

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™d need an expander. Was just looking into that. Which is one reason why Iā€™m not sure whether to go with the Qu-Pac or the X32. The Behringer SD16 expander at least has combo jacks. So shame the X32 itself doesnā€™t, and that the Qu expanders donā€™t.

Also I prefer the fact the X32 also has a Windows app, as well as Android, as I already have a MS Surface Pro mounted on an arm in my studio.

Thanks for the headsup on the fact some dealers provide a longer warranty for the Qu-Pac, that is useful to know if I go that route.

As good as Focusriteā€™s latest generation. Almost as good as Metric Halo.

I previously used all Metric Halo, and I still have my Apogee Duet 2.
I have no complaints about Qu-Pac converters.

6 Likes

Thanks pt missed your post!

new video from messe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQoV8Ho0OiI

So I just watched this video this morning and it did make me curious about getting one of these to replace my Tascam DP32. Just a couple questions for those who may know.

Are there any ways to edit track? Mostly my concern is about deleting unwanted portions in a track. I like to just leave things rolling when doing overdubs and edit after. On that note, can you even do overdubs?

Also is there a mix down screen within the unit? I donā€™t use a computer at all in my studio so I would want to mix down after my tracks are all laid down. And finally, are there any tools to master with or do have to export to a DAW for that?

1 Like