Finally, the perfect mixer? [Allen & Heath QuPac]

I’d like to share my setup using a Novation Launch Control to control a QU-PAC. Using Bome MIDI Translator Pro and some digging in manuals I’ve figured out how to use the pots to control sliders and the pads to control mute groups.

The Launch Control is pretty much set to default with the pots sending CC. In this example one pad is used to toggle a mute group - the pad is set to “Toggle” A-2 (which corresponds to note number 9 between velocity 127 on the note on and 1 on note off. What’s pretty neat is that you can also control the LED’s in the pads using Bome.

The pods are translated from CC to a HEX string as can be found in the QU-PAC MIDI manual.

Example of the mapping of a pot in Bome:

[x] Translator 0.4: [POT01] QU 1/2 (mini)
Options: swallow
Incoming: Control Change on ch. 1 with CC#:21 (0x15) set ‘pp’ to value, on port Launch Control
Outgoing: MIDI B0 63 20 B0 62 17 B0 06 pp B0 26 07, to port QU-PAC MIDI In

The incoming string takes the value of the first pot that is set to CC 21 and put it into variable “pp”. This variable is written to the outgoing string.
The outgoing string will change the volume of input channel 1 - this corresponds to the value 20 in the string.

I’ve attached all configuration files you’ll need as an example.

qu.bmtp (6.3 KB)
Launch_Control_Mapping_Data.syx (177 Bytes)
qu.txt (4.2 KB)

10 Likes

I wonder if anyone here could think of a way to use a Midi Controller with the Qu-Pac while still maintaining the USB-audio-interface functionality?

I’ve connected both a MIDI controller (Launch Control) and the Qu-Pac to a computer and can use the controller to control volume and record in Logic at the same time so it’s possible to do both at the same time.

3 Likes

I see - you are using Bome software not Bome box.
So no midi control without computer.
Well you can’t always have everything I guess :smiley:

One trick we used to do to combat this was to run the dry channel also out and into another channel via a ‘do-nothing’ effect…it could be as simple as just using a cable. Point being, it puts your dry and your effected + latency signal together because they both now have the same latency.

I should clarify since I didn’t quote - this solves an issue where you want to run a send or something else out through an external box, or anything that adds latency, but you want the dry to be in phase with the effected signal.

4 Likes

I’ve a couple of questions.

Is it easy to do routing with this mixer? Say I have my Octatrack, and synths, and several fx boxes, is it easy to route my synths into the Octatrack or into my fx boxes, route my Octatrack outputs to the fx boxes, etc?

Is there a way to get digital inputs for this mixer? I have some synths that output SPDIF and AES/EBU.

Yeah, really good… never had a proper mixer before so took me a while to get used to it but I’ve just took time and it’s starting to finally pay off. Still alot of things to learn though.

I have the 32 channel desk, I have 1-6 Virus Polar line in’s going in (through the local setting). 7-8 Ableton or any other DAW output (using the USB setting) and then syncing via a USAMO which is transmitting on channel 16 (USB setting) then the USAMO sends the MIDI timing straight to a Cirklon which is controlling the all the synths/drum machine. 9-14 Virus TI2 (local) then Moog Sub37 (local) on channel 15. 17-22 Virus TI2 (yes another local) then 23-30 all individual outs of the RYTM (local) with 31-32 spare.

The great thing is the mix outputs, I have two eventide H9’s running out of the mix channels 5-6 and 7-8, those are routed back into the desk and can pretty much use them on any of the 32 channels.

Saving the settings is a breeze, easy recall for anything you set and you can have plenty of different setups instantly recalled by a touch of the screen.

2 Likes

Yes routing is as simple as it can be, hit channel button, hit routing button, select page (fx, output etc) and you can instantly see what is routed where, select whatever output, fx buss or whatever, turn the knob, repeat as necessary.

No spdif, but converters are fairly cheap.

2 Likes

Hi there, redecorating my cave and using the available room as good as I can.
In search for an extra mixer beside the analog and Presonus digital mixers the Qu Pac keeps turning up as the candidate for small and enough channels, recall and decent effects.
The multitrack is also a big plus.
How does the USB connection work with my Windows 7 based Protools?
Can I route the 16 channels from Qu Pac simply from the USB to my computer and select them into a Protools session?
Anyone works like that.
Of course I could simply record to an external hard drive and drag the 16 tracks afterwards into a PT session.
Any suggestions welcome.

I use and record to pro tools 12 on a mac from QU PAC and the interface is recognised without hitch, either as it’s own hardware or as an aggregate device … importing the files from the qu drive is painless too.

The fx are good quality, would be great if they included a few slightly more exotic effects too tho, I picked up a PX5 dj mixer this weekend which has newly designed fx and there are a lot more creative (which is obviously the focus) so I’ll use it as a send effect for the qu PAC too. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Tnx

1 Like

Could you use the multitrack recording without a computer?
Like edit and erase tracks etc ?
Thanks

yes

erase, yah, but there’s​ not much editing you can do other than that.

3 Likes

Thanks, it sounds just like what I need with regards to routing.

No spdif, but converters are fairly cheap.

On the Allen & Heath website I couldn’t see an AES digital input on the QuPac, only output.
What converter would work to get the digital spdif and AES output of my synths into the QuPac?

Finally ordered the Qu Pac at Thoman.
Should arrive tomorrow.
Ordered with a patchbay so that all connections are at the front side.

why order a patchbay if everything is easily routable?

Perhaps he has more ins than the Qu-PAC has?

1 Like

The Qu Pac will be installed fixed, so not easy to get at the rear.

2 Likes

Infact all ins and outs will be from the patchbay.

2 Likes

Next : the correct harddrive for recording
Anyone?

At the A&H website is a list with tested drives.