Finally, the perfect mixer? [Allen & Heath QuPac]

Yes, I don’t much care for the :elmm: reverb at all, so I’m really grateful of the Qu-Pac’s when I’m working with that.

I currently run into a problem with the Qu Pac - when do a multi track recording, some of the individual channels seem to be recorded with too low volume. The stereo mix that i record at the same time (Master Track out ) is ok.

Does it record without the compressor on the individual channels? I did not see that i can configure something for the multi track recording?

It’s all in the Qu Mixer User Guide (Manual.

Regarding setting the insert send (record) point as pre fader or post processing,
Pg 49.

Section 9.7 Home Screen – Qu-Drive (USB audio)

Regarding getting more trim/gain on the direct out (recording),
See Pg. 36

Channel Routing screen
Adjust the channel Direct Output Trim from off to +10dB gain. The Direct Outputs can be patched to feed the internal FX devices, for example a delay effect send for a single vocal. They also feed the dSNAKE Monitor outputs (ME Personal Mixing System), and can be set as the CH/ST channel USB source.

1 Like

I hoped that you would know :slight_smile: In fact i read the manual, but still …

Insert sends means in that context that the compressor is applied in the recording (and the insert FX )?

I.e. i record now the “out” of the channel. If i set to -> “direct out” my option would be only to raise the trim level ?

Sorry, I actually worded that wrong.

The screenshot of Pg 49, set to direct outs.

Then go to an input channel’s routing page. (Pg 36).
Here you can change that direct out gain/trim, and also set the global record point of the signal path - aka direct out source (pre preamp, post EQ, etc.)

1 Like

Ok, i think i got it now, this is subsequent - post PEQ means, that also insert,preamp and compressor is applied?

This helped me tremendously already :slight_smile: Thank you very much.

Post PEQ is post preamp and post insert, and post eq.
But not post compressor.

The signal path goes from top to bottom on that list.

Preamp, then insert, then eq, then comp, then delay.

1 Like

Hmm, delay is the default - so it should include everything already - i wonder why it still was so low volume. The +10 db trim helped a lot already. I need to experiment with the compressor a bit more.

Could it be that you are using fx sends on some of those channels?

Sorry breaking in … :sunglasses:

Is the multitrack recording by USB also available for mixdown on the same mixer?
Edit possibilities?
Or is this only on the bigger mixers with real faders?

Guys, talk me into selling my Apollo Quad silver and buying this. I have ran out of ins/outs and want to have more flexibility to run outboard fx… Wouldn’t I be better off just buying an RME UFX that is a good compromise between the 2? Or just buying a little analog mixer and run the Elektrons through that and then 1 stereo out into my Apollo??

At the moment I have the following setup but want to add an Eventide H9 Max to the equation:

Current setup on Apollo:
In 1/2: OT Master L/R
In 3/4: A4 Master L/R
In 5/6: OB-6 Master L/R
In 7/8: AR Master L/R

Out 3/4: A4 going into OT In A/B
Out 4/5: OB-6 going into A4 Ext Ins
Out 7/8: AR going into OT In C/D

The reason for the outputs is to obviously be able to play the instruments on their own if i wish - Apollo allows to mirror to Master on each of the outputs if one wants to.

How would I benefit from the QuPac?

1 Like

Actually it doesn’t matter, sorry for highjacking the thread - I think I will hang on to it and just buy a small mixer instead. I absolutely love the Apollo and its sound… and the Lexicon 224…!

2 Likes

I dont think the mixdown from USB drive works, but you could mix the USB stream (i.e. use it as sound card in your DAW.) You could combine recording and USB audio stream.) There is no real audio editing in the mixer, its for recording, and then mixing in your DAW.

1 Like

i don’t mean to hijack the thread, but i just got an AR84 expander for the qu pac and i’m completely perplexed how to get the inputs from the AR84 to the qu pac.

i’ve set the correct inputs via the preamp page as well as the patch page. i included screenshots below.

anyone who uses an expander with their qupac, any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

I would definitely direct that question here: http://community.allen-heath.com/forums/forum/qu/qu-general-discussions

1 Like

Yup, already have.

Making me crazy, I thought it’d be simple stuff. Coming to the conclusion I’ve a faulty unit.

I dunno about the A+H mixer, but the Soundcraft MTK really blew me away. I was actually queued up to buy the Presonus Studio Live mixer, but the sales rep @ sweetwater made me aware of the MTK line. My only problem was that I just bought the 12 channel… ive just sent it back to swap for the 22 ch.

1 Like

@zfigz If I could figure how the hell to upload pics on this forum using ipad I could send you screenshots of my audiorack set up, I am going out now so when I get back tonight I’ll try to send the pics, assuming you have not sorted it by then.

1 Like

1 Like

Thanks @bassmaster I knew I had done it before but totally forgot again, d’oh!

Here are the pics @zfigz

3 Likes