Fill Mode on Octatrack needs two hands

good point. elektron should probably rethink this button combo. in the meantime I just use one-shot trigs instead for fills on the audio side

Pardon my ignorance, but how can one shots be used to do fills?

That has been in the Octatrack for a long time / always: you can create a musical fill by just playing additional triggers. For that you can use the one-shots. Of course, you are short of leaving notes away using that method. It is somewhat limited.

Which is probably exactly why Elektron now introduced their “Elektron Fill” to the Octatrack as well. With the new implementation of a fill you can now also leave notes a way.

:slight_smile:

What is this?

Holding yes, one shots are all played continuously.
Grid Recording mode : for active track
Play mode : for all tracks

4 Likes

Could you explain how FILL TRC are different from One Shot trigs in that concern ?

I think /FILL can make a difference, but anyway they added all TRCs, and not because of One Shots.

Fill TRC plays only when fill is active. /fill TRC allows for notes only being played when fill is not active, this allows to remove notes from a fill.

All the other TRC’s are not related to fills.

I know TRC, thanks, but I don’t understand what you mean by that :

You mean that with one shots notes are retrigged, and with FILL you can use trigless trigs ?

They can be with PRE, /PRE, NEI, /NEI…:wink:

3 Likes

What i wanted to say: using one-shots you can create fills by adding notes. With the newly implemented fill-mode you can also remove notes to create a fill - that was not possible with one-shots, as far as i know. Hope that clarifies what i was writing.

PRE /PRE NEI /NEI didn’t think about them yet. Is that of any additional value? The smiley lets me guess no… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Meanwhile i have an idea why the guys at Elektron used the arrow-combination: with up you trigger the break momentarily, with down you trigger it for one bar / one time the pattern length. That second option is something you don’t have on the AR.

Nonetheless the two-handed operation makes it somewhat fiddly, and the interference with the arranger is a total showstopper for me…

What is this?

It’s just my way to make a difference between the musical concept of a fill and the fill mode that Elektron implemented in the boxes.

Edit, @dobpoq, I just understood, you are talking about /FILL condition, aka removing trigs?

Ok I see what you mean. With one shots just after a trig and -23/384 microtiming you can overlap notes, so you can replace or remove notes too (before with +23/384 and VOL=0).

Very useful, and that can be related to FILLs. :wink:

1 Like

+1 on the conflict between arranger navigation and fill mode shortcuts, using both together kinda kills the usefulness of the arranger outside of leaving it on autopilot

Definitely not. Just leave the arranger temporary (like you need to when you want to change other track/fx parameters interactively), perform the fill and get back into it again. I don’t see why the arranger view should be open all the time.

(but, of course, clashing shortcuts should be fixed)

Of course there are work-arounds, thanks for suggesting, but compared to fill mode on AR/A4, it’s becoming quite a gymnastic. Shift+arranger then down+page then shift+arranger again, that’s a lot of two hands combination that could be used for more musical gestures… :wink:

Anyway, I know the hopes for any change on the OT are lows, but as the very likely “last new feature ever” of the octatrack OS, it would be nice to properly think back the fill shortcut to make it as instantly fun, expressive and rewarding as it can be on the other machines.

1 Like

I just discovered this today. What a stupid button combination - you’re right, it renders either the Arranger or FILL condition useless, take your pick. @Elektron

3 Likes

Are you talking about momentary fill (holding [Up Arrow] + [Page] or all three fill modes?

IIRC you can latch fill mode [Up]+[Down] + [Page] or use [Down] + [Page] to trigger fill mode at next loop cycle without going up/down arranger rows.

I started to use the arranger for multitracking like half a year ago and at first used fill conditions like I would without arranger but then quickly changed to A:B for convinience, so might be I don’t remember correctly^^

I was using the Up + Page shortcut, but the problem would exist using Down + Page. I suppose Up + Down + Page would work… at least it wouldn’t move the Arranger cursor - but then you have a less flexible performance situation (latching isn’t quite as fluid as momentary).

In my mind it is an issue - typically you would want to trigger a sequence of fills before moving to a new pattern. And moving patterns in the Arranger requires the Arranger to be active, which then means you end up navigating the Arranger playlist as you trigger fills.

(Also, you don’t need to leave the temporary arranger to change parameter values - they’re still accessible whilst Arranger is playing.)

2 Likes

Damn…it really goes up/down arranger rows…
I really hoped there was a clever implementation that would somehow prevent this (smt like delay the execution of up/down commands and if page button is pressed quickly don’t go up/down in the arranger, but instead trigger fill would work I guess), but turns out apparently my memory is terrible^^

It’s not exactly confinient, but we could leave the Arranger, cue the pattern change and trigger fill - or latch fill/cue fill for next loop cycle and then switch to a new pattern then back to arranger.

I’m quickly losing focus, when going in and out of arranger, but I’m only using arranger for multitracking and some special tricks (high bpm scene automation for glitchy drums and things like that), so maybe that just needs some training…