Field recorders

Thanks! I have a little Roland R-07, which makes lovely recordings, but it takes so long to boot that I end up using the Voice Memos app on my phone.

Same with zoom H5. Going to sell it because of that.
Tascam dr-05 booted so quick and saved files fast. Zoom h5 is very slow. Scans the whole sd card every time after a recording it seems.

Also: there seems to be a weird thing going on. Not sure if this already has been discussed but Sony pcm d100 seems to be discontinued, tascam discontinued its flagship field recorder (which I was very interested in). I want to start recording at 192khz so I’m thinking of switching to something a bit less portable.

Really sucks that tascam dropped the 100.

Just 2 posts above :slight_smile:

Yes but I meant more in general. 2 flagships being discontinued and no real portable replacement for them.

Damn, seeing the thread title over days and haven’t read it, makes me lust for quality field/town/home/casual recordings. I love sample-based music, props sounds, unusual material creeping into my samplers…

Now, what’s the consensus here, for a quality recording experience, enjoyable experience (fast to boot and operate…) device? I read that some flagships are discontinued… so, I guess in what’s left? Executive summary (sorry if it’s too much to ask)

The Tascam Portacapture X8 I posted above is 32 bit 192khz. The touchscreen interface might not be what you want though.

Seems the Tascam DR-40X could fit for me. I had a Zoom H2 but I find it too plastic and a little too limited. stereo line/mic input with optional phantom power sounds good to me (I have an external stereo microphone to use from time to time).

or Tascam DR-44WLB… I’ll see.

32bit is excellent but we still don’t know what’s the equivalent input noise (EIN) and how good are the mics.

Woat. I’ve been searching with my nose apparently. This one has totally flew under my radar. This might be exactly what I’m looking for. Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It looks friggin excellent. Please buy it and tell me if it’s worth it :joy:

4 Likes

Same here :slight_smile:

Did you get one in the end? I was considering buying a field recording device but am thinking, as I have an iPhone that I may buy a Zoom IQ6.

One advantage is that then I can more directly plug the phone to a sampler with USB connection than most field recorders. I don’t have huge needs of recording hours of sound at once…

A big disadvantage of any phone based recorder is that it uses your phone. Which means battery life will be far less than a dedicated recorder, AA batteries won’t be an option. Leaving the recorder in the foliage while you go bodysurfing is much riskier, and of course you can’t use the phone while recording - no timing, making notes, or web browsing.

Also: my Zoom H2n and Sony M10 have outlasted several iPhones.

5 Likes

Thanks for that reality check. The leaving in one place, if only standing on something while taking some distance is a good one.

1 Like

The small and medium Gorillapods make excellent field recorder stands.

1 Like

I purchased an iQ7 and was very disappointed. I returned it and bought an H1n for the same price. Much happier.

The iQ7 (I imagine the iQ6 is no different) has very loud radio interference even when in airplane mode, lots of handling noise especially when headphones are connected (the H1n is not much better in that respect but it’s more manageable).

You would need an extra clasp to be able to mount the iPhone on any tripod (or Gorillapod).

Most class-compliant recorders will let you transfer recordings to the phone over USB and use the recorder as an external mic.

1 Like

Thanks! Convinced.

Don’t forget that for 192khz to make sense, you also need microphones that can actually produce anything above 50khz. Most mic’s even when described in specs as “20Hz-20kHz”, can go up to 40-50khz, but not higher.

1 Like

Isn’t there some benefit to for instance pitching down samples, even when the material isn’t above 50khz?