Field Kit by KOMA Elektronik - an Electroacoustic Workstation

Great videos, both the Koma and DT!

1 Like

Coming back to this after release. How do yall like the mixer side of the fieldkit?

Iā€™m still a bit confused about it as well, I know Iā€™m just being a novice but can someone explain it to me? I know it can amplify signals from acoustic sources and has some control such as filters and an lfo, and the radio. Iā€™m interested in electroacoustic and music concrete, Iā€™d imagine it would pair up nicely with something like the Octatrack but what Iā€™m wondering is what it would offer over taking a bunch of found sounds of portable recorder and throwing them directly into a sampler?

1 Like

The Mixer is great. Clean signals no noise. I am using primarily as a little mixing desk. Great small footprint.

1 Like

I have been scanning through the Koma Elektronik Fieldkit FX manual today and checked a few videos (again).

Would it be possible to use it as a send/return effect on a mixer? The main questions I have are about (audio) interfacing with the FX. Line level signals are possible the manual states.

Are there owners here on the forum? Please share a few words here about the unit, pro/con.

I backed the Kickstarter for the Field kit FX, when it first arrived I wasnā€™t too impressed, however the more I used it the more I like. I have been using it standalone with a couple of synths plugged in and utilised the onboard mixer.
However even though it is an FX unit the CV functionality has lead me to use it like an instrument or a rather a sound sculpting tool than just an FX unit.
I have not run any of the FX through aux sends in to my main mixer yet. I have intended to try but we have just had a baby and time with studio gear is almost nonexistent at the moment. The field kit arrived two days after my daughter; resulting in only a couple of hours playing with it so far.

Apologies probably not the kind of feedback you were after!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback and more important, all the best with your daughter!

Have you tried/Did you like - the spring reverb on the unit?

Thanks!!
I got the FX with the expansion pack which includes a tank for the spring reverb, which at first I found unusably noisy. I then went on the Field Kit Facebook page and some other users noted the connections were labelled incorrectly, so I swapped them round (out into in on the tank etc) and it works great.

2 Likes

Great! Have been looking for spring reverb options (Vermona, Doepfer,ā€¦) , this looks like a great deal with the extra FX and possibilities.

The use of the JD fader is a ninja move!

1 Like

I would definitely say the field kit FX as a unit is greater than the sum of its parts, however the individual effects arenā€™t top drawer. They are all at least a little crunchy and dirty sounding, the bit cursher gets incredibly nasty very quickly, so you need to be careful with it or it can go from sounding well balanced to absolutely obsecenly nasty in a very small turn if the pot!

ok, I have a cheap bit crusher pedal with the same behaviour so I can relate. Not a fan of bitcrushed sound generally speaking.

Thanks for the feedback.

Is it worth it? They are selling a small discount bundle with free shipping till New Year! First I only wanted the field kit fx, but this original field kit also has radio, lfo, mixer on fadersā€¦

I have many ideas (lots of gear but no modular myself and not going into modular world) I always change my setup of making music, meaning everyday is a new day with new ideas! Thinking about using the field kits with some volcas, op1, ms20mini, maybe mc202, some circuit bend Speaks and SK1, bunch of pedals, Lyra8, minibrute, maybe A4, EHX 8step cv sequencer, Korg SQ1, so many options and even thinking of making a second recording room for sound experiments.

-I do know it could be useful for a jam when visiting my friend who has Morphagene, Plaits and Maths!

-It could be useful for me to experiment with accoustic sounds, would love to add some kalimba or a rainstick to certain ambient tracks!

-I always wanted to have a spring reverb (because I love the sound) Even thinking about buying different sizes of reverbtanks.

So what are your experiences about Koma field kits? You love it, use it a lot? Any other tips, what gear do you use with the kits? Do you use it a lot or is it just a bit of fun and then you donā€™t touch it anymore for months?

2 Likes

Field kit is great for experimental stuff. I just saw they do little sensors now and one has a Stepped Random Voltage, CV Sequencer and an Euclidean Trigger Sequencer. Even if you only have a small amount of cv to patch to it is a worthwhile little piece of kit.

Anybody has more info on the Field Kit Synthesizer, release date? pics?

Jamie Lidell pitting his field kit to good use here:

2 Likes

So, ive been on a bit of BON IVER its after i saw them liveā€¦
And i read about one of their pianos they have in the studio.
TheyĀ“ve placed lots of contact mic on theirs and routed the mics to different effects.

This made me think about the KOMA Field Kit and my upright piano.
Has anyone tried using the Field Kit with a piano?

i envision placing some contact mics and a speaker inside the piano to create a feedback system and then route the audio and CV to ZOIA for modulation and effectsā€¦

it could be really cool, but i havenĀ“t seen anyone using the field kit like this.

1 Like

You can pick up contact mics super cheap. You could try one of those first and see if you like the sound.

1 Like

yeah that might be an idea. thanks for the tip

ā€¦electro accoustic wonderbox from berlinā€¦
even with an inbuilt little radio receiverā€¦
comes in a little wooden boxā€¦the perfectly fitting top closure is also a perfect little playfield to record all kinds of objects rolling around in that frameā€¦

koma is a great little shop in berlinā€¦there u can learn how to solder ur own circuitboards, or one of their products, like that field kit, or u can just buy one there, already assembled by themā€¦and u can hang out with other onic weirdos to share a chat with a little shot of their very own formulaā€¦

i used one of those field kits for quite a whileā€¦created some of the most unique electrofied accoustic samples to imagineā€¦ur imagination is the limitā€¦
they also sell heaps of little contact mics, quirky speakers, electromagnetic sensors and what notā€¦

i still got one with loads of such add on gimmicks, such as contact mics in different sizes, little motors etc to give awayā€¦
if somebodyā€™s intrested, pm meā€¦150 euros and iā€™ll ship it to uā€¦

1 Like