Field Kit by KOMA Elektronik - an Electroacoustic Workstation

I stumbled across this today:
a beautifully presented little box for making your own sounds mixing and combining. Currently on Kickstarter. I just backed it, very cost effective for the amount of CV, inputting and mangling available. Music Concrete.

The new KOMA Elektronik Field Kit is the perfect tool for everyone who would like to experiment with electroacoustic sound. Use everyday objects, amplify them and use them to make sound, like our heroes John Cage and David Tudor used to do!

The Field Kit is optimized to process signals from microphones, contact microphones, electromagnetic pickups and able to run DC motors and solenoids. On top of that it can receive radio signals and convert signals from switches and sensors into control voltage!

3 Likes

Yes had my eye on this. Looks a lot of fun. Have the Koma SVF-201 Filter & its wicked!
Always quite fancied the Poltergeist too…I’m greedy I know :slight_smile:

http://www.soundonsound.com/news/koma-launch-field-kit-kickstarter

1 Like

Always liked Koma gear, really nice look and feel to it. The new Komplex sequencer looks amazing also.
Hoping the mixer component is decent, will help me in so many ways. Looking forward to trying it in March!!!

1 Like

Would be cool if Elektron made something like this! interested in making musique concrete with elektrons

1 Like

€103,183 of €20,000 with 29 days to go, holy shit!

1 Like

OT isn’t too shabby at it :wink:

1 Like

Pre-ordered mine! I’m really looking forward to using this with the OT, it seems like it could be the perfect companion to it…

Pretty sure I’m going to grab one at some point as well. Should make for a nice portable mixer with the aux send and the filters! This also works on batteries somehow or no?

I hope I can scrounge up some cash for it, eventually.

Yehhh…I meant to get one of these but was too slow for the Kickfarter.

Folks that get’em: Please post examples, I wanna see what these things can do + particularly how accurate the timing is on the servo+motor.

Cheerz

Just got the DHL link that mine has shipped! Super excited, hope I get it before Easter. Quick turnaround from KOMA, great effort by them. I hope this is the start of more exciting products from them.

1 Like

Getting a Foley vibe with this unit, running the radio and tape deck through for an old school ambient mix down. Getting some lovely effects and sounds with it already. Pretty inspirational, might get some contact mics and solenoids down the track.

6 Likes

Let’s hear something!!! :grin:

1 Like

love to watch a video or three…

Reasonably experimental sounding explorations, rumbles and inaudible murmurings to begin with, I will look to do some musical beat orientated stuff another time.

The last few days I’ve been exploring hand held tape recordings with my kids, using different objects around our house, toy truck tyres wheeling back and forth, clay pots banging. I’m actually having fun bringing a tape recorder outside to the park and listening to different everyday sounds in new contexts, very low fi hissy outputs. The short wave radio on Field Kit can be easily modulated by the LFO on the mixer and adds a rhythmic beating hiss. A bit of drone and melodic synth, then all put through the Analog Keys reverb at the end.

1 Like

I met with Christian from KOMA Elektronik at Superbooth last weekend. He takes on the Swedish Design Challenge.

First a brief background about the Field Kit and a run through of its most prominent features. Then a live-patching-challenge making musique concrète with: A toy train, Swedish matches and a bag of IKEA tools.

5 Likes

Do i understand correctly if i think this box can help me to record and process acoustic and electro acoustic sounds and then record it into my Digitakt?

looks promising…

1 Like

Sure. A nice way to get som quirky sounds into the Digitakt… I’m guessing you saw my video on using the two together!

1 Like

Yes,
It triggered me.

I used to listen to wauvenold and other elektroacoustic stuff.
This looks promising, but i have no idea what it does, Whats the difference from a microphone, and all these unclear aspects. The fact things are unclear says more about me than it does about the website… but it looks i just have to try.

I also love Einsturzende neubauten, tried to record many things with my voice recorder but failed all the time. This might be a solution?

I dont know… but i like

1 Like

The techo video makes things more clear since it gives some examples.
Looks and sounds very promising

Maybe my first step in the direction to modular