Feed my OT: best IPad apps

Congrats to those who bought it during the introductory pricing period, and condolences to those who missed it.

Some comments of mine from another forum:
[font=Helvetica,Arial,“lucida grande”,tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif]Just had a quick play for the first time. I quickly reached the limit of what I could do with Egoist without reading the manual, but was inspired nonetheless by what I could do just by messing around. I imported an acoustic guitar track by Audiopaste, used the dice to randomly slice it, and mucked about with the effects, with and without the dice on the effects sequencing grid.

I wish someone would make a Numerology/Cirklon scale sequencer for the iPad. Would love to hook up the MOTO Midi Express direct to the iPad and use it that way.

aye, I have tons of ipad apps, even midi and sequencer apps and none of them compare to numerology or a cirklon…of course none of them compare to the OT either…but yeah, I would like to see a sequencer as good as numerology on the ipad…are you listening five12 :slight_smile:

Elastic Drums finally just dropped: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id817419955?mt=8&uo=4&at=10l4Ky&ct=forum

Only just had a quick play with it, but it’s a killer. Going to give my Machinedrum a run for it’s money for sure. Still early days-no Audiobus or midi, but that is coming soon. Certainly worth $4.

aye, I have tons of ipad apps, even midi and sequencer apps and none of them compare to numerology or a cirklon…of course none of them compare to the OT either…but yeah, I would like to see a sequencer as good as numerology on the ipad…are you listening five12 :)[/quote]
Numerology for iPad would be so awesome.

I guess the closest things we have to that are MobMuPlat and Lemur - the former will run Pure Data patches and the latter runs user-created templates - this is the current selection in the sequencer category. https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/

im new to iPad. my gf is all mac so i get to try stuff (STROM!)

but yeah, got animoog friday for 2.99… 'mazing

Baddcr-have you grabbed Elastic Drums yet? The more I use it, the more it blows me away. Possibly the most “Elektron” app in the App Store, even in its currently limited state.

Ooooh no, missed that one… thanks, I’ll check it out :slight_smile: :+1: [/quote]
Doug did a video about a month ago. It seems a bit more stable, but is currently missing some things like Audiobus (which should hopefully be implemented before the end of the year: http://www.thesoundtestroom.com/elastic-drums-pre-release-demo/
Once it gets midi (early next year), it’ll be killer, but as it stands now it’s excellent for sound design and mangling. A Machinedrum rival right out of the gate. The effects and sound design alone make it worth the purchase as it stands.

Dear Accent,
do you try also SeekBeats or someone else compare to Elastic Drums?
All the best,
waldemaR

I haven’t tried SeekBeats. Not a fan of the flat GUI, but I know a lot of people swear by it. Probably the closest thing I have is Stroke Machine, as I don’t generally bother with with dedicated drum apps since I’ve got a MDUW.

iVCS3 sounds strangely great.

iMPC Pro, iMPC Pro, iMPC Pro! :smiley:

I downloaded so many other apps, but keep returning to that one all the time, despite its limitations.

Additionally, Auria with Fabfilter plugins (as recorder not input), Korg Gadget, BassLine, Z3ta, Sunrizer, iSEM.

Here’s another cool one: 43d

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/43d-world-sound-mix/id436958100?mt=8

Field recordings from around the world. Just had a cool improv session using it with the Octatrack, so I thought others might enjoy it as well.

2 Likes

Nice find Accent. Can’t wait to check that out (after I get my ipad’s screen repaired )

That reminds me- thinking of picking up a lightning mic for my phone- planning a trip to Belize in a few months, and want to record some monkeys and birds…

ok i can’t figure out how to link it, but go to app store and search “dream talk recorder”. it’s a recorder that you set a level threshold to auto activate and it records your mumbles, snores etc into an easy archive format.

worldwide users upload their personal faves. some have a great singsong quality to them and the farts are surprisingly melodic - brass waveform anyone?

managed to get a great loop out of my snore/snuffle. enjoy.

2 Likes

I’m really interested in getting another Octatrack or a Digitakt and using an iPad I have access to for source material.
I’m just curious about two things before I invest;

• is the sound quality from the iPad the same as that from a normal software synth on a computer?
  • if you have a beat running on Octatrack synced with iPad app like boarderlands (running the grid) etc can you sample on the fly and end up with a usable (loopable) sample on the Octatrack or do you need to go in and edit the start and end points etc.

sound quality - same as computer … you can get a decent audio interface or capture audio directly (via aum or audiobus etc) … render it off as wavs and share it via drop box/email. you could also link ipad via usb lead and put audio directly into ableton.

in terms of usable loops , its like any other audio that youd put into the octatrack to loop , you could sync ios apps to octatrack clock via something like iodock2 or other midi interface.

i often use my ipad as an fx unit , 2 x mono inputs , routed through various plugins , summed together and sent out.
i’m using ipad pro and an older ipad and the older one is still very usable.

I haven’t heard any difference. However, I don’t use Omnisphere or other desktop computer softsynths that rely on big sample libraries.

I’ve never had to edit the start/end points on the Octatrack after sampling on the fly. I don’t sample more than 30 sec. of audio though, when I sample on the fly - it’s because when you sample on the fly, the audio goes into the OT’s RAM, which is 80 MB in size.

Cool threat. Thanks guys. I am currently looking for nice sequencer app for controlling my modular via yarns. Any good advices for sequencers specific. I was think about something like Rene only then in ipad format?