Feed my OT: best IPad apps

his newer app seekbeats looks interesting[/quote]
tweakybeat has been a long time favourite of mine, and seekbeats added to its concept with global randomization… super sample food, those apps.

Edit - seekbeats just got updated and now has midi sync…

Mendel Synth is outdated and blurred a bit on modern devices (never even got a retina upgrade for the iPhone 4), but it makes some wicked sounds. You mutate various sounds on assorted bubbles nearby, and make some crazy stuff you can then chop up, etc. You can email the raw sounds to your computer, too, if you like. Tbh, I don’t know if I’d still buy it today since there’s no telling when an iOS update will finally kill it.

Bitwiz is great fun for lofi bleeps and drones.

Purple Goo is like having Paul’s Extreme Stretch with a sort of resynthesizer on top, and it’s free.

Xynthesizr just became free.

Not in the U.S, where it’s $2.99:

If, however, you had downloaded Xynthesizr when it was free (before the price increase), you should have gotten the features that were once IAPs for no additional charge. This was a very nice gift of appreciation from the developer to us “early adopters”.

[quote="“GovernorSilver”"]

Not in the U.S, where it’s $2.99:

If, however, you had downloaded Xynthesizr when it was free (before the price increase), you should have gotten the features that were once IAPs for no additional charge. This was a very nice gift of appreciation from the developer to us “early adopters”.[/quote]
Oops, I misread the update :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No worries, KrisM. Before the update, you would have had to buy the IAPs to get any real use out of the app, because you can’t save your own projects and I think MIDI was also not included in the free version. Yuri was very generous in essentially giving away those IAPs.

Anyone try rrarrow yet…looks interesting

Just got this - wow, what inspiring sounds, beautiful UI…

1 Like

yep, I picked it up as soon as released also

I actually got notified that one of his other apps dropped in price and then I saw that one…so I had to get it instead

it is already one of my fav. ipad synths for sure…but I dig crazy modular sound so it may not be for everyone

sunvox is what i use most, but i use it on my laptop too. stupid powerful. i like to record samples of other apps into it as well to get them all in one place.

gadget is nice. i really like it for song names though!

i recently picked up caustic and that seems really nice too, some interesting innovative stuff going on.

i mostly like to use apps that let you make “tracks” or rough out ideas and then remix/arrange them with the OT.

I’m on the verge of finally picking up an iPad and some of these, can any of you recommend any new apps that have come out since this thread was last updated in March?

Keep an eye on Synthopia as they regularly feature iPad apps and new releases as well as other great stuff like:

Anyway, have a look at Oscilab. It’s a hell of a lot of fun.

Sector - Audio slicer/sequencer. Might seem familiar on the surface if you’re a veteran user of the OT’s slicing features, but it places more emphasis on probability-based slice playback. The Warp features are reminiscent of the OT’s track LFOs - simpler in some ways.

Sliver - Sample-based soundscaper (you provide the sample). A bit hard to find in Google, so here’s the link: http://matheusound.net/sliver/

Oscilab - Unusual sequencer that is controlled by waveforms. There is a drum machine section provided, but it is not a drum machine - just saying this because some users complain about the drum samples. Just use the synth section would be my recommendation.

Other than the above, I’ve actually been digging more deeply into the venerable iMS-20 app to help learn how to use my MS-20 Mini.

Electronic Piano Synthesizer is on sale for 99 cents. It’s apparently a stripped down FM synth.

http://www.palmsounds.net/2011/07/electronic-piano-synthesizer-for-ipad.html

Is there a way of recording the output of all of these synths / samplers internally on the IPad? Or an App like Audio Hijack so you can sample from Spotify etc?

Yes, there are several ways.

Some of these apps will allow you to record internally and upload to Soundcloud.

Audiobus is another way to record. Start Audiobus, then put you synth/sampler in the Input slot and your recording app of choice in the Recording slot. Most of the time I just put Audioshare in the Recording slot. Obviously the popular DAW apps (Cubasis, Auria, etc.) will also work in the Recording slot. Audiobus will give you a Record button you can press from within your synth/sampler app to activate recording.

There is no app like Audio Hijack that allows you to record system audio. I wish there was, as I often watch movies on my iPad and wish I could sample dialogue from them.

anytune pro + allows you to sample from youtube…

That is good to know. I know I’ve seen a couple different apps that allow you to sample from YouTube, but a way to access system audio would still be preferable. 99% of the time I access my content via Plex (https://plex.tv/), so it would be nice to have some way to grab samples when I’m sitting on the couch and hear something good. I used to do this all the time with my MBP, but since getting an ipad it just stays in the studio.

iMPC Pro is on the horizon.

Mitosynth…holy shit. This is a must. Incredibly deep but easy to use, a real sound designer’s dream, and in the running for best music app right out of the gate.

http://www.wooji-juice.com/products/mitosynth/