Feed my OT: best IPad apps

on the subject of synth apps, galileo organ is very nice

Arturia did a great job with this oneā€¦my current fave synth on the iPad realm.

Some of these apps are also available for Ipod. Can be usefull to create/record sounds with Ipod and feed the OT back home.

If you have both Ipad/Ipod and you purchased music apps for your Ipad, some of them can be directly downloaded to Ipod through iCloud.

It seems that there are no Ipod version of the iSynth suites (iPolysix, iMS20, iSEM, etcā€¦)

Music Apps I installed in my Ipod through iCloud:

• Xenon
  • Bebot
  • Impaktor
  • RoboticDrum
  • iKaossilator
  • Figure
  • FL Studio
  • Triqtraq
  • Grain Science
  • Yellowfier
  • Audioshare
  • Audiobus
  • Glitchbreaks
  • Thicket
  • Refract
  • Xynthesizr
  • Beatwave
  • SoundPrism
  • TNR-i
  • Poly

Music Apps I installed in my Ipod and which needed a 2nd purchase (Ipod/Iphone):

• Animoog
  • DM1
  • iMPC
  • Nodebeat
  • Musyc Pro

How do you guys feel about the sound quality coming from the ipad? I canā€™t help it think itā€™s a big commitment deciding to get most sounds from it.

Iā€™ve been getting excellent sound from the iPad, even running audiobus and through some effects like AUFX:Space or Echopad

Has anyone used the Korg Gadget yet? Seems like it would be prime for OT sample food.

Of course I bought itā€¦I mentioned I was a sucker for ios music apps.

I havenā€™t had a chance to spend a bunch of time on it yet. Initial impressionsā€¦sound quality on all the different instruments (gadgets) = fantastic. The portrait orientation lock is lame. Another bummer is that itā€™s pretty much a stand alone app, no audiobus, etc, etcā€¦no midi either.

The sequencer is easy enough to use though. It definitely needs some polish but good sound quality is already there.

If I get some time this weekend I will probably manual sync and sample into OT for manipulation.

Korg Gadgets is pretty fucking awesome. Each gadget is unique and offers quite a wide pallette of sonic territory relative to each. The daw side of it is very intuitive and well layed out. All of my gear is packed up right now as Iā€™m moving in the morning, but I will hopefully mess around with this and the OT in the next few days. If they implement well designed midi options, this would make a killer sound module app to be sequenced externally. The audio quality for each machine is honestly quite impressive, and the ability to record automation for everything on each gadget is killer. Worth the money.

I discovered 2 apps this week-end:

• Tweakybeat: A very groovy drum machine. Pure drums synthetisis with master overdrive and bit down. Sounds better than robotic drum for me but is monophonic. Kind of Mr Oizo beats style. Devil grooves when shuffle is set to mid.

• SQRT: A graphical sample reader (can import via audiopaste). Very cool for glitch / noise.

Oscillator
Animoog
iShred
SoundPrism Pro

Impaktor
TriqTraq
GlitchBreaks
Samplr

Vox 3000
Synth & Drum Pad
GrooveMaker 2
meta.DJ

This thread had me jonesing for Korgā€™s Gadget till I read all the reviews about latency, crashes and portrait mode only, Will wait till all thatā€™s sorted, even if it winds up costing me more.

Everyone raves about the sounds (Iā€™m a fan of Korgā€™s VAs and RAs), but can owners tell me if Iā€™m worrying over nothing?

I was probably one of those reviews, if I would have known portrait mode only (and no midi or inter-app) I probably would have held off a bit.

The sound quality is great but a pain to try to work into somethingā€¦even just trying to sample is a pain because the way I have my iPad set up for landscape

his newer app seekbeats looks interesting

Add Sector to the list. http://kymatica.com/Software/Sector

Just spent an hour with it, lots of fun.

Reactable IOS
Nave
Animoog
Electribe
PPG
iMS-20

just picked up Sector, will check it out, I saw a video on it when it was in beta

the dev makes some great effect apps (I own those)

My top 15 iPad apps (I have a lot!)-in no order-

1.Animoog
2.Samplr
3.Thor
4.Nave
5.Gadget
6.Arctic Keys
7.Polychord
8.Space
9.Sunrizer
10.Epic Synth
11. Cassini
12.Magellan
13.Arturia iSEM
14.Chordion
15.Addictive Synth

Xynthesizr has been updated. This is by far the easiest to use of all the generative sequencing apps that Iā€™ve tried. It does odd-time signatures! The built-in synth engine is pretty good too, imo.

From the iTunes page for this app:

Whatā€™s New in Version 1.1
Xynthesizr is no longer freemium and does not offer in-app purchases. You get a fully-functional version.

New features and improvements:
ā—¦ Improved UI
ā—¦ MIDI (notes output, sync input and output)
ā—¦ Notes to MIDI channel mapping for driving multiple apps or devices simultaneously
ā—¦ Stereo delay with tempo sync
ā—¦ Export via AudioCopy and AudioShare
ā—¦ Tap tempo
ā—¦ Pattern clear button
ā—¦ New gestures: 3-finger tap to clear pattern, 2-finger tap to clear notes of a certain color
ā—¦ Ability to change ā€˜songsā€™ in sync (wait until the end of current pattern before loading a selected ā€˜songā€™)
ā—¦ Adjustable interval (-12 to +12 semitones) for the second oscillator
ā—¦ Variable step length subdivision (whole note to 16th)
ā—¦ New and updated songs and presets
ā—¦ User Manual

this one looks quite interestingā€¦
havenā€™t tried it yet. a probability-retrig kinda sequencer:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/02/sector-stuttering-stochastic-sample-slicer-using-probability-curving-lines-ipad/

Thatā€™s a good way of describing it. Lots of ways of inducing randomness into it. Iā€™m actually really curious to feed it melodic material from the Monomachine. Iā€™m hoping the upcoming midi implementation will let you trigger the sequencer externally.