Feature Request: turn off latency compensation for use with external sound cards

Hi,
OB does a good job in latency compensation when using the built in USB-Audio-Connection. But you cant turn this off (or at least I havent found it) when you want to record the audio via a separate Audio interface. I made this running in Live with an external instrument rack with only 2 to 3 ms latency (instead of 45 ms when using the built in Audio Interface). OB is now running on another track, just for parameter control via midi. But it still reports the same latency to live as it would when capturing audio.

It would be nice to turn this off, to use OB just as a normal MIDI-Plug-in-Controller without the audio capture and latency compensation.

Cheers

Perhaps I haven’t completely understood your request, but isn’t it sufficient to just turn off latency compensation altogether in Live (options menu)?

Yes, but then I switch off latency compensation for all plug-ins of the project at once. It would be nicer just to toggle it on/off for every instance of ob. Should be pretty easy to implement.

Cheers

I see. How about using a track delay on the channel hosting the OB plugin with a negative delay offset that compensates the one introduced by OB? I agree with you it would be nice to be able to use OB just as a "sound design* tool - i.e. without audio routing - and get it to stay out of the latency compensation game (not sure what would happen with MIDI data sent to it, though)

The track delay setting of live doesnt shorten the overall system latency introduced by one Plug-in with long latency. Well its a minor issue though. Im not sending MIDI Data through OB, I use the normal USB-MIDI-Channel (or din midi) for that (so the data is send in parallel to ob). It works, I can play rytm and a4 with push or a midi keyboard through the DAW with only 3 ms of latency, which is not possible via ob. So if someone from Elektron is listening, just put in a switch to turn latency compensation on/off in the next release.

Cheers

If you actually want Elektron to address your request, your best option is to send an email to feature-request@elektron.se

There is no guarantee that Elektron staff read and note every topic that is on this forum.

1 Like

thanks peter, I just wrote a mail :slight_smile:

2 Likes