Favourite gear for Couch, Sofa, Lap

iPhone with Koala Sampler.

1 Like

Definitely can related. :wink:

Lately I’ve been using the Digitakt as my sketchpad on the couch and overall it works great. But I’ve been gushing over the Deluge as the ultimate couch solution, I might get one if I find a decent used deal.

By the way: any tips on how to avoid the crippling neck pain after a 2 hour session on the couch? :unamused: I’ve been using a pillow to add some height, but it’s still not enough…

3 Likes

FWIW: If you’ve ever had a ‘workstation assessment’ for work, you’ll find that ergonomics experts will say that an optimal solution is to have the top of your screen level with your eyes. Presumably to avoid the kind problems you’ve been having. Some people might get away with not doing that, and work for hours with head tipped down. Sounds like you’re one of the unlucky ones who can’t. :man_shrugging:

I’m well aware of what’s causing it, just don’t know how to solve it (other than working on a proper desk, that is)! :grinning:

Do you guys use any sort of “couch stand”? is there even such a thing?

1 Like

Nanoloop FM is my favourite!

Followed by M8, but only because I am headless, if I had the real thing it would probably be my favourite.

2 Likes

MC-101 & Circuit Tracks.

Digitakt really pissed off the misses with the couch sessions :laughing: was a bit on the noisy side! tr6s works a treat though, love those gell pads!

1 Like

I use one of these and it’s pretty good:

1 Like

Digitone. I find myself much more comfortable and focused to do Sound design with a headphones, a pillow behind my head Just spending hours finding sweet spots and tweaking.

1 Like

I’d say Digitakt for myself. The small size makes it ideal, plus a great sequencer for the 8 tracks and onboard fx rounds out the package nicely.

You’re circling in on the key requirement here I think: it needs to be truly portable, as in, battery powered and standalone. Like an MC-101, M8 tracker, OP-1 or something along those lines. No cables needed except a pair of headphones. It should be something you buy with the explicit intention of keeping mostly separate from the studio, and only occasionally plugged into the other gear for recording/transferring of music/samples/etc.

3 Likes

Mostly the OT has been my portable setup, have a working Ripcord MyVolts cable so I can use it plugged to an external battery and voilà. 8 tracks of samples + resampling works really well for some couch jamming.

I’ve used the Digitone as well for on-the-couch-sound-design, it’s pretty fun but with the OT I can bang out whole tracks much quicker, just need to find some portable sound card to record to my phone while out of home… That’s the only thing I miss on the OT that my other Elektron boxes have: a fucking sound card.

1 Like

EDIT - SP-404 mk2 ticking all the boxes just now.
Live 2 is amazing but is actually still pretty big and heavy to leave lying around and just grab and rest on the knee.

Circuit Rhythm now, for me, has usurped the Zoia.

1 Like

Fun sofa combo under the watchful eye

12 Likes

I’d say lay down and rest it in front of you?

MPC One (Retro). Headphones.

4 Likes

Same as @djadonis206 except not retro. Also sp404mk2

2 Likes

I’m revisiting the sofa/lap gear idea, and re-reading your post I notice a definite slant to gear that facilitates composing. Now re-considering Polyend tracker, considering your note about using it with the lovely MM2.

1 Like

Circuit Rhythm’s closing in on being my first choice these days.

1 Like