Favorite FM Softsynth?

This might be a blasphemous thing to ask on here (given the Digitone existing and whatnot), but I am curious about software FM synths. What’s out there these days and what is awesome?

Bitwig’s The Grid (yeah, I know, I’m a broken record) but it truly cured me of any need for Digitone or any other FM synth, with the ability to put as many LFOs as I want. Check it out!

4 Likes

https://www.sonicbits.com/exakt-lite.html

4 op, yamaha style.

4 op, author speaking about monomachine inspiration.

All free

4 Likes

U-He Bazille is one of the most interesting options in my book. 4 very versatile oscillators that can track pitch or not, feedback allowed anywhere, DX FM, phase distortion, 0-Hz FM (aka wavefolding), amplitude and ring modulation, 2 LFOs that can work in the audio range, two table modulators (TapMap in U-he’s words) that can also be used as oscillators with drawable waveforms, 4 multi-mode filters, 4 loopable enveloppes, two ramp generators, a bunch of signal processing modules (rectifier, quantizer,…) and a sequencer…

I use it a lot and I am very often amazed by the sounds it can produce. There are “free” versions around (computer Magazine for example) that have a reduced set of features (typically half the full version) that are already good starts to get an idea of the possibilities. I recommend it highly!

5 Likes

Dexed. Free and a good alternative for DX-7 6 Operator sounds. Can be used as librarian and you have 10k+ sounds on the internet.

3 Likes

Nice one - and even better for me, Manjaro Linux will install it from source via AUR too.

Seconded; this thing is amazing.

1 Like

FM8. Easy layout, noise, filter and fx. The ability to morph between four timbres is the cherry on top.

5 Likes

I really enjoy this one: RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer | Inphonik

Simple to use and has a lot of character.

1 Like

fm8 is still great.
Bazille is very fun.
I also still like abletons operator

1 Like

Not actual FM, but Virtual CZ is my fav for crazy modulated sounds. I got it on sale for 10 bucks or something.

1 Like

Mine is Plogue’s chipsynth MD, though I have a good feeling that their upcoming DX7 emulation will give it a run for its money.

2 Likes

Ableton’s Operator. I love the simple interface and how easy it is to come up with interesting sounds.

I’ve been tempted by Bitwig primarily for The Grid and having something similar with more modulation possibilities (seems more fluid than working with M4L).

6 Likes

While I don’t use FM much so I couldn’t say my recommendation is with much knowledge but I have FL studio and when I do use FM I use Sytrus.

A lot of people like it from what I’ve read over the years but other than when I messed with it a lot when I first got FL I’d say it’s just a weird mystery to me in sound design. I am more prone to just throw free patch libraries at it to get samples out of it. But for what it is I enjoy how it sounds.

2 Likes

Ok cool. Lots of suggestions I knew nothing about. Thanks everyone.
@craig Is the Bitwig grid limited to their environment? I’m very intrigued by all things Bitwig but I’m too lazy to switch DAWs again at the moment.

Been playing around with Waves Flow Motion and it has produced some pretty cool results. The Arturia DX7 as well.

I do miss the Digitone. Had to thin out my studio earlier this year and the Digitone went away. It’ll probably come back at some point. But yea……

Cheers all.

Yep. But well worth the price of admission alone, even if you just use Bitwig as a glorified ‘tape’ recorder for manipulating sounds elsewhere. I use The Grid for everything but my default patch is a 4-op FM (well, PM) synth that is very piano-like

2 Likes

I like Ableton’s Operator, Dexed, and the Arturia DX-7. (I also miss the DN, probably shouldn’t have sold mine either). But of the three I thing Dexed is by far the best value for money :smiley:

2 Likes

Drambo’s FM options are pretty insane. The interface can get a bit unwieldy as you add operators but the flexibility to add FM to other forms of synthesis is really appealing.

1 Like

Been meaning to get PortaFM as well. I’ve heard good things. Lo-fi FM style.