Falling in love with the DN

So a friend of mine let me borrow his DN, and after a few days I don’t want to give it back! :slight_smile:

I linked it up to my setup, and it’s working fantastic. I started messing with LFOs on FM params, and routed my guitar through it.

Such an awesome box.

4 Likes

It is one of the best Elektron machine IMO

5 Likes

+1. Sold mine. Realized I needed one. Bought a replacement. Keeping this one!

3 Likes

I ended up buying it from my friend :slight_smile:

Now onto some DT + DN fun…

8 Likes

I feel this “falling in love” I just re-bought one (after selling one earlier this year) and I really really like the immediacy of this little box. I haven’t used any other gear (except Heat) since I got it.

1 Like

Bought one two weeks ago (my second Electron, first being the OT which I bought about 6 years ago and still have), and think it’s wonderful. My only problem is my subconscious telling me to assign parameters to a crossfader. Might have to get a dedicated midi processor for this purpose. I’m reviving this topic to share my joy, and if by any chance anyone involved in the DN’s creation reads this, to express much appreciation.

2 Likes

You can assign multiple parameters onto modwheel, on dn module too… Then you just need to find a controller that you can configure to send midi cc 0. Its possible, but sometimes the dn gui starts to stutter. better save often. :+1:

1 Like

Other than a quick and positive test to ensure the DN syncs as should with other gear, I’m using the DN standalone to get familiar with it. But your tip makes think a midi processor to send OT scene switches and / or crossfader to CC0 on the DN could be much fun.

Modwheel is CC 1
And fwiw, Breath Controller is CC 2, and also easy to configure on Digitone

1 Like

Ratio offsets set to mod wheel yield awesome results

2 Likes

I know what you mean!

The mod wheel and breath controller suggestions are a pretty good substitute. Another way to get extra modulation is to use the velocity mod – I often use that and even turn off velocity to volume, so all it does is modulate parameters I’ve assigned to velocity.

4 Likes

Wise men say!

1 Like

All of this is part of why the Digitone Keys is a massive leap forward from the module.

4 Likes

To be clear, for others who might not be familiar with it, besides the very good keyboard on the DK (though only 37 keys and only channel aftertouch, not polyphonic), whose velocity really makes presets come alive (much more so than for the A4, imo, but you get this with an external controller as well), there are eight assignable knobs above the keyboard. These control a single parameter, not multiple as with the A4 or with MIDI loopback on DN/DK, but they’re an easy, no-fuss extension to the DN.

3 Likes