Fader controllers

not correcting at all, just enthusiastically sharing! I like celebrating the variety of devices it’s brought into the world.

2 Likes

I just came across https://makepro-x.com which offers a platform to create your custom controllers, and they include 60mm and 100mm motorized faders.

Personally I am not interested in motorized faders, and anyway their design in general is not for me, but maybe someone is interested. Also, their website seems a bit quiet and not updated in places but they seem to be active – see this video (demos in an expo last May). You can see the motorized faders dancing in the background here.

Very surprising to me, they are less than an hour drive from where I live. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found this 16n Faderbank version assembled and sold by Slate + Ash and it’s so gorgeous…

I think it’s the first time I look at Buchla style caps and I’m like “wow”. I don’t like wobbly caps and there is no way those can wobble at all. Plus the color choices with black background, of course.

I have searched so much for faders in the last days that now the algorithm does the work for me even when I’m not asking. :joy: So it brought this: Faduino, a Faderport clone with Arduino and open source components.

2 Likes

I found another one, pretty compact, youc can choose between 30mm & 60mm

https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/1359265210/parks-8f-8-fader-midi-usb-anpassbarer?crt=1

The shop has some nifty small midi controllers in general :wink:

2 Likes

Today is my birthday, faders are on their way but stuck somewhere in transit, and this is what I’ve got in the interim. :heart_eyes:

It even has the original brand in the bottom.

2 Likes

I have another controller that I can wholeheartedly recommend:

Novation ZeRO SL MkII

Unlike the subsequent Mk lll product series (from which I also own the SL49 Mk lll), this controller still has full Midi and Sysex integration and can also be mapped to hardware standalone without any problems. It is super flexible, I can recommend to take a look into the documention which is still provided by Novation.

It is only available second hand but widespread, I always see some offers online at least in Europe and NA, ofc this depends on your personal region. The screenshots of Automap 4.12 & the SL MK2 Template Editor are from my own Win 10 machine, the software runs without problems and even if for some reason it would not the device can be automapped standalone without any software involved by hand.

5 Likes

Novation would clean up if they released an MKIII of that. Chances are they’d gimp it knowing how companies silo things these days, but that was a very powerful controller and, by all measures and comparisons with the current competition, still is.

1 Like

The most impressive thing about this one is that they still have spare parts for it. Bought one beaten up for something like $50, they sent me a couple encoders and one fader cap for free, along with a new filter knob for my BS2. They really have the best support.

1 Like

Absolutely.

When I bought the Novation SL49 Mk lll, I assumed that it would have the same functionality as the Novation ZeRO SL MkII, only to realize with horror that it was a dumbed-down version when it came to midi functionality.

Any questions to Novation as to WHY they made this decision went unanswered.

1 Like

I can confirm that the support is very responsive to any hardware support issues. This is also a reason why I appreciate the products of this company.

Only in terms of midi controller functionality and SYSEX they have regressed for whatever reason.

Certainly a decision determined by the spirit of the times, demand and profitability. Most new devices from around 2010 have a much more rudimentary if not dumbed down midi functionality, not to be compared with gear from the 90-00s

2 Likes

You were such a good boy for a while. Time you go be a good boy for someone else now……

6 Likes

I was always temtped by one of these, and it sounds like you know the answer to a question I wanted to ask…
under the fader caps, they’re just standard faders poking up right? Or are they super short tabs poking through?

I was sort of thinking of one for a performance tool, but those fader caps would be no good for the kind of MAXIMUM FLOURISH I clearly need to do as I bring the kick drum back in…

:wink:

I can take a photo later. All I can remember now is that Chinese fader caps fit as well.

1 Like

literally had a Novation Zero SL mkII in a basket this morning and am SO PROUD of myself for managing to not buy it and remember I have an APC 40 already and although the Novation is probably better it’s a bit mad to buy one.

2 Likes

The final version just arrived!

5 Likes

2 Likes

thanks (that is a bit annoying as looks pretty hard to replace them with something more “performance” mode.

I ended up ordering one B-stock as it was on Black Friday sale, so will just have to try it I guess!

1 Like

I bought one some weeks ago.
Its a nice unit, solid faders.
But…
The usb connection on my unit disconnected with the tiniest movement of the cable. :frowning:

The 16n Faderbank pictured above comes with a magnetic USB plug. It’s the first time I see and use one of these and, wow, why isn’t this the default?