[solved] External trig works, but can't record it

I can trigger the tracks of my RYTM externally, but when I try to record it, it won’t record. Any ideas? Midi settings all look ok…

Where you triggering from? DIN MIDI? USB? OB?

Using OB…

Not sure about the AR but on the A4 in order to be able to live-record incoming external MIDI you need to send MIDI data to the AUTO channel and select the track you want to record into. AFAIK it is not possible to live-record sending MIDI to the regular OB MIDI tracks.

In Ableton:

• MIDI preferences: Output “Analog Four (Elektron MIDI)” Track ON
  • Create a MIDI Track with MIDI Output to “Analog Four (Elektron MIDI)” channel 9 (or whatever your auto channel is) and arm it

On the A4 MIDI Setttings > MIDI Port Config

• “Input from” is set to “MIDI+USB”
  • “Receive Notes” is ON
  • “Live REC on Trk Channel” is ON

Well that’s a PITA. :frowning: I was hoping there was a way to do it w/o the autochan - especially given that I can trig the track! I’ll give it a shot tonight or tomorrow and report back!

Just reporting back here (I forgot to reply way back when!).

This didn’t work. (also, there’s no Live REC on TRK Channel in the RYTM).

Any ideas, anyone?!

This is how it works. I record from Push2 to the rytm with OB opening a midi channel and send the notes to the rytm auto channel. Of course you need to see what channel is on preferences. Then you select the track on the rytm you want to receipt notes and pres rec+play.

So strange… This is definitely not working for me. I have “notes on” too. Does the auto Chan trig whatever the selected track is too? It doesn’t for me…

Yep, tried for another hour to see what the heck was going on…
I can trig the track if I select the midi chan for that track, but if I select the auto chan (chat 14 in my case), it doesn’t trig the selected track or record anything… ARGH. I really need to move these patterns over!

FFS! I figured it out.
I was sending the midi to the VST and not the RYTM unit itself.
What a noob move.
haha.

NOTE: You don’t need to send to the auto chan. you can send to the tracks directly and it’ll record it. Makes life much easier!

1 Like