External synth output into one M:S track

Big thanks djenzyme :hugs:
I’ll try during the week & give you feedback

1 Like

No prob, the CMS looks like a good choice to pair with M:S. I’ll be interested to hear what you make with it :slight_smile:

What I have tried… :blush:
M:S config
MIDI > Sync > Clk out > On
MIDI > Sync > PCH out > On
MIDI > Out Chan > PCH out > 16

NMS config (all Receive params to On)
MIDI Note & MIDI CC
RX On (external clock control)

So, I have a MIDI cable from M:S MIDI out/thru to NMS MIDI in

I have 2 patterns in M:S bank E
Which patterns should be the equivalent in NMS, so I can test the program change works? And which Session?

The only I have achieved is to control NMS tempo from M:S, using the connection Clock in

I am a bit lost here :sweat_smile:

As @djenzyme told you above, you need to use patterns in bank E and F of the M:S’s pattern banks.

Pattern E01 on the M:S sends MIDI Program Change number 64 which should select Session 1 on the CMS.

Pattern F16 on the M:S should select Session 32 on the CMS.

1 Like

Typo error… I meant E

Ok ok… The concept sessions / patterns in NMS was confuse to me. Now I get an idea of the mapping

But the point is, with config settings explained above I can’t see any change in NMS if I change patterns in M:S :thinking:

Maybe I should disable MIDI note & Clock receiving in NMS, so it only receives CC (control change)?

Almost certainly no need for that.

You should probably experiment with changing OUT POL in the M:S’s SETTINGS > MIDI > PORTS menu.

2 Likes

You rock! :tada:
It was set to STD, changed to INV & now I see NMS changing sessions :grimacing:

2 Likes

Now I have 2 last questions, so I feel less stupid :sweat_smile:

Why Channel 16, and not another one, in M:S for Program Changes? Is it explained in M:S manual, or NMS? As I didn’t noticed that

And… Can I find this info in NMS manual, I guess?

Thank you very much both of you
Just trying to understand the things :blush:

1 Like

This information is in Novation’s document called ‘CMS MIDI Parameters’ downloadable from their support page. It’s not in the main User Guide.

Channel 16 keeps it distinct from Channel 1, which allows users to change synth patches using MIDI Program Change messages.

This is Novation’s unique and slightly eccentric use of MIDI Program Change messages; nothing to do with Elektron.

1 Like

That sounds like you could sample using the M:S USB interface? :happy: I tried finding information on this, but no luck, even after quickly searching the manual and asking my local dealer! Can you tell more about that? Probably I misread you…

M:S has no sampling capability but it can act as an audio host for iOS apps. You can send clock to an iOS synth app, and have the output coming out of M:S.

Ah, thanks! Damn, so close, right out of reach.

I am checking this :blush:

What does that bal/unbal connections mean? Does it mean I can put one Jack stereo in 1 of the slots there & it will work? Or do I need to put 2 Jack mono per connection?

Output does not say bal/unbal so I understand there I should need same cable as the one I use for M:S output (2 jack mono), but I have some doubts about that input connections

I used to use mine with some volcas and I just used twin mono jack connections. You can plug the CMS to the socket under the mic using an instrument level mono jack, and then the M:S into one of the stereo pairs using a twin mono jack. If you had 3 of CMS you would plug 3 instrument level mono jacks into the lower sockets,

There is a slightly better quality mixer, the VLZ4 402 which would also suit your needs but it has 2 mono inputs and 1 stereo as opposed to 1 mono and 2 stereo. Have a look and see what you think. The main differences are a built in power supply and dust resistant pots.

One thing to note is that connecting a bunch of stuff, all running on power supplies can introduce some hum. You can minimise this by connecting everything to the same power bank. Just something to keep in mind :wink:

1 Like

Nice
I have been trying a M-Audio Fast Track Pro of my girlfriend & it does the trick :partying_face:

I must think now about the mixer… Lot of sound difference?

By the way, I have found (by accident) that patterns mapping don’t require to use M:S banks E & F explicitly. Don’t know if it is generic or it’s a result of my configuration, but M:S banks A, C & E 1-16 patterns map to 1-16 NMS sessions, and B, D & F map to 17-32 :slight_smile:

You must be careful about this, I mentioned this before. Although the banks A & B change session, it is not a ‘queued’ change, it is an instant change which will not work properly as the M:S sends its program change before a pattern finishes. Using banks E & F will always ‘queue’ the change so the behaviour is the same as M:S.

Edit: I’m not sure why banks C & D are working for you, this is not described in the manual.

2 Likes

The preamps are different so there will probably be a slight difference in sound quality. I’ve used both and they both sound good. My logic was that I’m just mixing line level signals so I went with the cheaper one and I’m happy with it. It has had heavy use as my decks are running through it for last few years. The extra stereo input is useful too. However, If I were recording vocals or guitar or something through it, I would probably go for the VLZ. Also, the external power supply on the cheaper one is a bit awkward and there is no power switch on it, making it less portable.

Totally right. My mistake :flushed:

2 Likes

:smile:

1 Like

Nice, the CMS is on sale at the moment here in the UK… must resist… I always wanted the patch flip feature when I had a Circuit :slight_smile:

1 Like