External Sequencing + A4 + MDUW + OB + Interface Recording =?

I understand there might be issues doing standard Built in sequencer recording when recording via OB and live recording. I think I’ve heard issues in regards to syncing?

However if all the sequencing is being done from an external sequencer instead of the built in sequencer, is there any reason all the tracks wouldn’t be recorded copacetically?

running md through a4 into ob should result in same sync? i run md through ar and bass station 2 through a4 with ob tracks in daw. ar and md using their internal sequencers and a4 and rest of the instruments sequenced by daw.
i guess that using same sequencer source should result in less sync variations. i don’t think my reply helps you in any way, just wanted to know if i understood the question :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Ryan

Am not sure I follow… when you say built in sequencer are you referring to the A4?

I use the OT, A4 and MD along with various other hardware/software synths with no issue… But - I don’t use OB…

I’m thinking I’m gonna try to run my MDUW through my interface, not A4. Probably gonna try for the higher quality OB settings and to get as many channels I can out of my MDUW

But your answer hit 80% of my inquiry! :slight_smile:

I think as long as the sequencing is done separate from the Elektron sequencers, I wouldn’t THINK that the input source would make much of a difference

I’m referring to the A4 and the MDUW, both are going to be sequenced from the Pyramid.

I understand there are certain issues with syncing when using OB. Most notably, a 4+ beat delay before the whole pattern plays when using OB from the built in sequencers(from my personal experience)

i’ve noticed that when multitrack recording with ob and ar, the first bd hit don’t get properly recorded. if im having a bd, half of it gets recorded when i start recording.
or did you refer to the delay in pattern change when trigging internal elektron patterns from daw?

I haven’t gotten that far with it. I’ve only experimented and troubleshot it. That initial lag is all I’ve experienced

You can use A4 stereo inputs to capture you MD through OB. You know that, don’t you ?

Yeah I know, but I want to split up the voices to have the most editable recording

Still, getting 2 of your outs in A4 is pretty funny.
If you use one or two A4 tracks you can even play with filters and distorsion, it’s really amazing on drums !
And just on direct input, you can already mess with delay / reverb / chorus, which is pretty cool :slight_smile:

1 Like

I could do that after recording though, right? And use the fx as sends? I reckon I could also send MDUW tracks to the A4 after it’s been recorded and OB it into the A4, right?

I haven’t really messed with OB that much. I came close two weeks ago and discovered that the Pyramid can sequence my ITB instruments so I went down that road instead. And then I discovered that I have Komplete followed by the discovery that it’s actually really cool.

1 Like

I suppose, but you might as well dedicate two MD mono outs for messing with A4 FX and record these directly through OB.

I did it with Volca sample, nowadays I input 0-Coast and one of MM outs…
A4 inputs should never be left unused, that’s the rule !

1 Like