External keyboard

HI, I’ve borrowed a friends analog four for a few weeks and just in the process of hooking up my midi keyboard, I’ve read all the threads and manuals but must have the midi settings wrong because i can’t get this keyboard to play the A4, can anyone help

thanks

What is your setup? Midi via USB or Midi via the in/out ports? Are cables okay and plugged in correctly?

A new project on the A4 should assign midi channels 1 through 4 to the A4 tracks 1 through 4.

Check this out in <GLOBAL MENU/MIDI CONFIG/ …> particularly the MIDI Channels submenu.

If your midi keyboard sends midi notes on channels 1 through 4 or the A4 Auto Channel, your A4 should generate sound.

1 Like

You need to set your midi keyboard’s midi transmit channel to match whichever auto channel number your friend has the A4 set to.
Go through the global menu to midi config and scroll to auto channel to find that number then set your keyboard to match that, now whichever track sound is selected will play from the keyboard.
Page 47 of the manual if you need more detail www.elektron.se

EDIT. Damn, I type slowly.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replays I’m running standard midi out of my keyboard into A4, keyboard is transmitting on channel 9 A4 auto channel is set to 9, like I said I’ve followed the manual and numerous threads and to no avail, I’ve checked the keyboard is transmitting data

Thanks

As SoundRider hinted, you need to set the following on the Analog Four:
[ul]
[li]Set INPUT FROM in GLOBAL > MIDI CONFIG > MIDI PORT CONFIG to ‘MIDI’[/li]
[li]Activate RECEIVE NOTES in the same menu.[/li]
[/ul]

Slightly off topic, but would it be cool to discuss A4-compatible midi keyboards in this thread? I’m looking around for something small and portable, but it’s hard to find stuff with physical midi ports these days. Top contender right now is the reface DX, which provides the added bonus of some tasty FM sounds. Thoughts?

Way uncool, but I will out-uncool you by suggesting that you buy my Korg Prophecy, which has 37 keys with after touch, 2 regular wheels and the log ribbon touch sensitive control and foot pedal(s), and VA, FM (Korg VPM) and Physical Modelling synth engines, as well as full DIN connector MIDI.

1 Like

Way uncool, but I will out-uncool you by suggesting that you buy my Korg Prophecy, which has 37 keys with after touch, 2 regular wheels and the log ribbon touch sensitive control and foot pedal(s), and VA, FM (Korg VPM) and Physical Modelling synth engines, as well as full DIN connector MIDI. [/quote]
Awesome synth (dat log) but too big! I’m building a pint-sized touring rig.

1 Like

What about …

• Novation Bass Station/MiniNova

• Korg Minilogue (after release …)

• or swap your A4 for an AK :wink:

[ul]
[/ul]
[/quote]
already have those settings, really frustrating this, could there be anything else ?

[ul]
[/ul]
[/quote]
already have those settings, really frustrating this, could there be anything else ?[/quote]
Okay … this happens sometimes, if a little nasty thing has been missed.

Midi is simple and reliable, if you start from a known configuration point. Typically most instruments or gear provide a factory setting that enables them to get connected and used without problems out of the box, if the hardware is not faulty.

First exclude that hardware failures are the source of your problem.

If your keyboard and those cabeles work with another synth - fine. Do you have a second source for midi-notes, check the midi-input of the A4.

Now … new project on A4, all midi related settings back to factory settings (but don’t kill the patches), the keyboard midi-out set on channel 1, check that keyboard and A4 are ready to “receive” and “send” midi notes, and no “midi-filter” is at work.

If you connect the midi-out of your keyboard to the midi-in of the A4 you should hear a sound from track 1 … well … if you have turned the volume on the A4 to an appropriate level :wink:

I have been in situations like yours too … :wink: but if nothing is broken, it’s only a systematically step by step process … really.

1 Like

just wanted to revive this thread and ask what the general consensus is on the best, small keyboard for the A4 is… you know, short of just buying an AK!

Arturia keystep is good value.

Depends what you need … only type the one or the other key every now and then … or playing a keyboard with one or two hands fluidly.

If you want to play a keyboard a 37 keyboard is limiting (bass-line, solo but not with too much of sweeping up/down the octaves) … 49, or 61 might be better, depending on the style.

And then there is the key-size question … :wink: or do you need after-touch?

IMO the keybed of the AK is quite good. I like it to play live.

You could also get a decent small master keyboard from Novation or Akai. They offer different sizes.

1 Like

I really like my Taktile 49 Korg. You can sync his very efficient arp with A4. Standalone, midi DIN, customizable, full size keys, pads, touch pad, scales, chords on pads, light weight.
No aftertouch.
49 keys is the minimum for me but there is a 25 keys model.
Novation Launchkey 25 MK2…
https://static.bax-shop.fr/image/product/91514/205573/e19ee698/Korg_Taktile-49-controller-angle.jpg

I like CME XKey.
At first, it’s a bit weird, but quickly it’s OK.
It’s solid, flat, small.
You can set the velocity curve, there is an aftertouch, you can hook it to traditional MIDI plugs or USB…
Oh, and the big win for me is that you can enable a mode where you can quickly jump from one MIDI channel to another, hence play the Moog then the MM then come back to the A4 with the same keyboard. Essential.

I got the XKey37, I believe it’s the right size between transportable and big enough for studio. But I’m no keyboard player.

1 Like

Some good suggestions here for me to check out. I’m definitely no keyboard player either, but I’d like a nice small keyboard to just noodle on and put some of my newly learnt music theory into action. CME xkey looks very nice. Arturia key step also looks like a perfect mix of small size and lots of features.

Any love for the KMI Qunexus?

I’m more a guitarist, I tried many midi stuff for guitars but now I play keyboards, the most efficient midi gear I think, talking about notes. I tried several keyboards and the best for me is still my Studiologic 88 keys piano touch. 25 kg ! Ouch, my back. :grimacing:

37 keys is the minimum if you don’t have other keyboards. If you want to go further, you’ll realize that 2 octaves is not enough, small or unusual keys won’t let you improve correctly on regular keyboards. You always have to change octave ranges and transpose, which is boring, and you can’t play wide chords for pads.
Smallest can’t be the best, or take 2 keyboards.

For midi drums, Hpd20 is on my wishlist, and you can play notes with it too.

1 Like

I ended up with the key step and am very happy with it.

1 Like

I’ve been using the reface DX as a master keyboard for around a year now and it’s pretty good (very nice action, feel and size) but am slightly frustrated about the lack of modwheel and aftertouch. Have considered swapping out for a virus indigo or similar (I really like 37 keys) but instead I may end up adding an ExpressiveE Touché for expression, once their software is available for Windows. That thing looks like a real game changer!