External Keyboard only plays Track 1

Hi there,

Just got my Analog Four MkII today and am looking forward to diving in!

The only problem I seem to be having (so far, heh) is that my external midi keyboard (which is connected directly to the computer) always plays track one regardless of which track is selected on the Electron.

A few things to be clear:

-The Electron keyboard will play all the different tracks when selected.

-I’ve read about “auto channel” from a few different posts, and I have tried switching auto channel to channel 1 (I’m reasonably sure this the only channel my old Clavinova can send midi on), but no change. Strangely, even if I turn every channel to “off”, it still receives the midi data and plays the sound on track 1.

-My operating system is Windows 10 and I’m using Ableton Live 9.

-I have a few external midi keyboards hooked up, and I get the same result with all of them.

Any advice would be lovely! Thank you!!

The default midi implementation has tracks 1-4 on channel 1-4 don’t set your auto channel to any of the other used channels. Make sure your daw is sending on the auto channel if it’s in between your controller

1 Like

I did change the track 1 channel to something else beforehand.

But either way, the second part of your answer seems like a great idea – too bad I don’t know how to change what channel my DAW (Ableton) is sending midi on! Are you familiar with how to do that in Live?

Thanks for your help.

I forgot to say – I know how to send a midi channel out using External Instrument, but I’m not sure how/if there is a way to make that interact with Overbridge properly. I know I got a warning early on with Overbridge saying to more or less only use the track with Overbridge for midi input or something like that. Not sure how hard and fast of a rule that is (or if I’m just making that up lol).

Thanks again!

I just did a Template, try this. It’s working. A4 is on Autochannel 10.

Assuming that Track 1 is on MIDI Channel 1, Track 2 on MIDI Channel 2, Track 3 on MIDI Channel 3 and Track 4 on MIDI Channel 4.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Your exact solution didn’t quite work for me – I’m not sure if Ableton 9’s midi channel is slightly different, but it has an “Audio To” option where yours has a “Midi To”. However, I was able to discover a workable one based off your image.

In Preferences, under the Midi tab, I turned on the Track and Remote buttons for the Output to the Analog Four. Then, when using External Instrument, “Elektron Analog Four” shows up in the drop down menu for “Midi To”. Then I selected Channel 9 (the autochannel channel) as the channel output in External Instrument, and when I played midi on that track, it switched from sound to sound along with the hardware.

Thanks again to both of you!

1 Like