External input channel not working in Ableton

The external input channel is registering in the Overbridge control panel but not in the External L/R channel in Ableton. I can hear it coming through on the FX channel but there’s no audio at all on the Ext R/Ext L channel. Anyone know how to fix this?

1 Like

C’mon Elektronauts could really use some help here…

afaik the external input can be used either as a OSC source on a track or to the FX track, which in turn outputs to main out. no separate audio channel for external track like the internal tracks

1 Like

In the Dataline Overbridge video Cenk has sound on the Ext L/R channel. He even splits the input into 2 seperate channels with sound on both.

1 Like

It may seem so, but im quite sure that you will not be able to get separate/independent channels in your daw from the external inputs other than via osc source, mixed with the fx on main track. I’d love to be wrong about this.
The version in that old video might have been a beta with other features but as it seems now - we can have separate channels for four tracks + external signal mixed with the fx on main audio track, or as osc source on any of the synth tracks.
Cheers

1 Like

That makes no sense. Why would Elektron leave the seperate Ext L/R input channel available in Ableton if it is non-functional? …And also post a video demonstrating the functionality of this channel if it doesn’t actually work in the distributed version? I can’t imagine they would advertise features that aren’t actually available…

1 Like

At least I’m not the only one experiencing the dead dry Ext L/R channel in Ableton. Any word from Elektron regarding a fix for this issue? Where’s Cenk when you need him!? Lol.

It is not non-functional. It works fine for me. Can I double check the external channels are enabled in the Overbridge control panel?

2 Likes

Also I am running Overbridge/Ableton in WIndows 10. Cenk’s video is on a Mac. Perhaps OS is the issue?

Possible - I mean, it looks as if you have set it all up correctly, so I am a bit stumped.

As I say, it works fine for me on OSX, but that doesn’t help you.

I wasn’t aware of an issue with Windows, but you could be right. Sorry I can’t help you more to fix this.

1 Like

I’ve used this config with Windows 10 before, it worked fine (latency aside). Seems an odd issue given that it appears the config is correct in OB and Live. Maybe try a reinstall of Overbridge?

1 Like

Fresh install may be worth a shot. Also, My Ableton audio preferences are set to ASIO rather than MME/DirectX. Not sure if that matters. Tried MME/DirectX but got tons of distortion.

i tried your config out and it was indeed possible to have a separate audio channel in Live (mac os) but the channel doubles sounding both from the mains and the separate audio channel. don’t know how if it’s possible to mute the external in’s on the main bus.

maybe you should contact elektron support?

edit; regarding the doubling, muting mains gets separate four a4 tracks + external sound source, sacrificing internal fx going out of mains can be compensated by using fx sends in daw

Fresh install of OB didn’t work. Guess I should contact Elektron support :confused:

Opened a ticket with Elektron support. No answer as of yet :sob: Has nobody else succesfully overcome this issue???

I have the exact same problem. Signal to the A4 inputs registers in the Overbridge Control Panel (ExtIn L + R), but isn’t routed to Ableton inputs 7 + 8 (as stated in the Overbridge manual).

I works when I select Synth Trk 1 and play it on the A4. The signal registers in the Overbridge Control Panel AND in Ableton. It’s only the external inputs that don’t work.

According to Elektron support this is a bug in the Windows Overbridge driver. They told me it would be fixed with the next firmware update by the end of summer, however now they say there is no clear ETA for the update/fix :frowning:

3 Likes

my fingers are crossed for february