Expressive E Osmose

I haven’t received my copy of the newsletter yet but i’m wondering if they intend to cover up the backside of that keybed

“blipskrieg” at 4:00 is my father.

3 Likes

Ah, I missed that announcement. The Slim Continua seem to be the ‘next version’ of the two full-fat editions that have been in productions for so long. They aren’t doing the “full size” units, but the Slims are the same lengths as the two full-sized variants. Me, I wish I could afford a Slim, as it addresses some of the design issues I had with the old version (some sort of display, and proper left and right analog outputs). Still, it isn’t going to prevent me thoroughly enjoying the Continuum I have now. It’s still one of the most important and inspiring instruments in my studio.

1 Like

In Part 3 of the Superbooth Home Edition you can find:

Christophe Duquesne showing the “La Voix du Luthier” with a Continuum: 0:13:50

Nothing new here, as far as I understand. I like that approach really much to add these kind of special speakers in an electronic setup for an even more instrument like feeling. I only listened to it in a loud environment on Musikmesse Frankfurt yet. Christophe is really a smart and kind guy.

Ed Eagan showing the slim line Haken Continuum: 1:40:46

He says that the presets for Continuum, Continuum Mini and EE Osmose are compatible while they are at the same time designed for the specific instrument. Interesting.

(the video on the superbooth site shows markers for the different parts in the video)

https://www.superbooth.com/en/landing.html

What is the last date they mentioned? Delivery still in june? Or more july? October?

The current newsletter. I am looking so much forward to the instrument - although I have to wait a little bit longer. The final design looks fantastic to me - both in design and functionality.

update

4 Likes

Suspected this would be pushed out to Q4. I’m in the 1st early bird phase and expecting this to be a 2021 delivery to be honest

2 Likes

I’m actually fine with waiting until mid-fall 2020 instead of this summer as originally planned. This gives me more time to knock the rust off my piano skills. Granted I was never a virtuoso on the piano in the first place, so the de-rusting process should be fairly quick for me. :sweat_smile:

This book happens to be on sale today so I’m ordering. It contains 12 piano etudes as part of the study of the Indian Melakarta system. I cannot think of a more appropriate piano lesson book to work with on the Osmose.

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/elements-of-indian-music-sheet-music/20820986

1 Like

Interesting details.

The stuff about key branches is the first time i read about their design philosophy on this:

key branches

The long black extensions behind the key is part of the key mechanism itself, forming one long lever. We call these extensions “branches”. With their high-sensitivity settings, chromatic glissandos and new approaches to playing are now possible.

Also interesting news is the material science technique using a “microscopic polycarbonate texture” to give both a smooth feel and a grip at the same time to the keys.

And heres an enlarged view of the angled mod and pitch controls:

EDITED: The blip on the bottom here is for the headphone output and volume control.

Was also looking at the connections on the back:

Osmose Back

Aside on the "Elements of Indian Music" Book

Interesting that this book is for both keyboard and classical guitar practice. I know you play guitar too, Governor Silver. Mel Bay strikes again. I found a sample page:
Etude in Melakarta
And two audio samples:
Classical Guitar
Piano

3 Likes

How do you like the angled mod controls? I think I like the straight ones better.

Delivery mid fall… oof. Time to enjoy the summer outside I guess!

Final design looks great to me…regretting a bit that I didn’t preorder now, especially seeing those ETAs.

I’ll probably use this book on multiple levels.

Summary
  1. Source of new - for me - compositional ideas. Maybe take an excerpt of one of the 12 etudes and enter that into a sequencer as MIDI data, mess around with the MIDI, etc.

2. Source material for playing with the ornamentation that Osmose allows - note bends, glisses, etc. Melakarta ragas are usually played with ornamentation, but for compatibility with presumably acoustic piano, I’m sure the book de-emphasizes the ornamentation - so it’ll be fun experimenting with putting it back into the music.

3. Something to practice on the keyboard, for keyboard playing technique in general. Of course I won’t rule out learning the same etudes on guitar. As an aside, I’ve learned bits of the Bach Inventions on both instruments, although the guitar versions that I have were transposed to better fit into the guitar’s slightly more limited pitch range.

2 Likes

New video about the Kinetic Model in the Eagan Matrix which will be also in the Osmose:

edited: youtube link seems to have changed, there is an own channel now

4 Likes

The EaganMatrix editor terrifies me every time I see it.

If they get the UI right on the Osmose, you may not ever have to use the editor software.

2 Likes

This is my dream.

The left side controls and OLED display looks beautiful, at the very least, to me.

June Update

This one focuses mainly on the EaganMatrix, the new improvements to it, and on the collaboration with Haken Audio on the Osmose. Specifically Haken has recently added a Kinetic Modelling Bank – which does synthesis based upon mechanical behavior. And they have added the Jenny Oscillator a mix of synthesis techniques including phase distortion.

They also report that they are in the process of assembling their “industrialized prototype”, so they are working through the manufacturing process and making their earlier prototypes something producible at scale. Expect a video showing the new “industrialized prototype” soon.

And here’s a new video they produced to show what’s new with sound development.

Having the development of the Osmose happening in two separate parts helps let both parts develop more fully without waiting for the other. Often the sound design team must wait for the synth to be nearly complete to begin their work. So since they can work in parallel, means the Osmose will likely have a rich and well developed sound palette when it is released.

There is a key phase coming up when the “industrialized prototype” is integrated with the new sounds and sound engine. Hopefully they can make the two parts perform as one evolved instrument. Lots of work left for Expressive E, and lots of challenges, but it sounds like they have a high likelihood of staying on schedule.

11 Likes

Wow, this thing sounds so effing organic. I’ll will have thee one day.
Seriously impressed

1 Like

Yeah this is like the best sounding instrument I’ve ever heard. Everything else is so flat in comparison. It sounds like the future

3 Likes