Expression pedal via midi only affects track 1

can’t find the setting for how an expression affects the tracks. it currently only affects track one even if it’s global. (I guess)

Control Input A and B always effects parameters on the active track. So switch to track 2 and you will see that it will effect it in the same way as previously track 1.

From the Digitone Keys manual (14.7 Control Input A):

You can assign up to four track parameters to a modulation macro that affects the active track.

1 Like

oh sorry. I meant the Digitone (not the keys)

I use an external Nord organ with regular swell expression and then in via midi.

track 1 was affected no matter what channel was active.

maybe global midi expression is always on channel 1. must re-check

Which CC on which channel is the Nord organ sending?

MIDI expression would be CC 11, but CC 11 is not mentioned a single time in the Digitone manual and also isn’t listed in the MIDI implementation chart (nor is the term “expression” mentioned somewhere).

speaking of this.

digitone has settings for modulation, breath, aftertouch and velocity, but not for expression.
can i change any settings in the DN to receive EXP?

Bumping this up…

Idk if you’re still wondering about this, but the way to do it is in the DN’s Sound Setup Menu. Scroll to Breath Controller, and set up what you want to modulate on that track. Breath Control is typically CC2, and you would have to send that CC modulation on the MIDI Channel of the DN Track you want to modulate. DN also has to be set up to receive CC/NRPN in the MIDI Port Config Menu. I’m unfamiliar with the Nord Organ, but if it can take an EXP in and pass that signal to an assignable MIDI CC out, then this should work.

So, as an example:
Expression Pedal -> Nord Organ -> CC2 on Channel 3 -> DN MIDI In
DN Track 3 set to MIDI Channel 3
DN set to receive CC/NRPN
DN Track 3 Breath Control ModMatrix set for filter cutoff

Now you can sweep the expression pedal controlling your Nord to sweep the filter cutoff of Track 3 on your DN.

Variations:
Send CC2 modulations to DN’s auto-channel to affect whichever track is active.
Set all DN Tracks to same MIDI Channel, send CC2 modulations to that MIDI Channel to affect all Tracks at once. You won’t be able to sequence the individual DN tracks externally, though, and scaling different amounts of modulation per track might get tricky.

I spent some time playing around with trying to create macros on my DNK controlled by my DT, inspired by some MIDI Loopback ideas, but I ended up abandoning it because of scaling issues and I wanted to be able to sequence my DN externally sometimes. Hope this helps!
:purple_heart: :purple_heart: :purple_heart: