Examples of using MIDI CCs to Select Useful Delay and LFO Speeds (Audio Included!)

So I had the idea to create custom buttons on my Novation LaunchPad Mini Mk3 that would send MIDI CCs to the DELAY TIME and LFO SPEED parameters to see if that’s more useful than trying to dial those amounts in with the knobs on the unit itself.

Here is an example with delay on the snare. Some fun artifacts as you jump between delay times.

And here is the LFO test. It became more interesting when I realize that timing button presses between slower and fast times makes things funkier. You’ll hear than in the latter half of this example.

Any other ideas for controlling the M:S via MIDI CCs?

Nice clips! Decay seems like an obvious choice if you like doing the closed-open hat trick with a single sample

I’ve gotten into the habit of parameter locking decay on my hihats to do exactly that. I’ve also developed a technique where I apply LFO to hihat decay. That can get really funky.

1 Like

I also set things up where I can have a single button press to mute each Track. Note that I’m doing all of this via a DAW (Ableton). This muting idea took 6 individual MIDI tracks.

I’m hoping to find a way to be able to use the LaunchPad Mini without the need of a computer, by using some sort of USB MIDI hub, although I haven’t discovered anything that might do this except perhaps the iConnectivity mioXM.

Retrokits RK006 will do that. There are other, simpler, alternatives too, the key feature you need is “USB host”, that’s what makes it a substitute for a computer.