Eurorack, wish me luck

Have fun. Explore.

1 Like

Itā€™s alive :wink:

My condolences and welcomeā€¦ha
Its great but expensiveā€¦you wont regret a second of time, inch of space or cent of the fortune in dollarsā€¦you dont need luck, you have a shared system.

1 Like

Itā€™s not about bang for bucks at the moment. Itā€™s more about staying focused.
Need a device for one job? get a device that does it. For example donā€™t get an octa if you only want a volca sample. Kidding but I guess you know what I mean

1 Like

Nevertheless I am thinking about trading my Lyra 8 for a dfam for the exact reason. Probably wonā€™t do it

I think the opposite happens to most people starting eurorack :wink: but it will be a lot of fun for sure. shared system looks amazing

1 Like

Haha yes, have bought myself the TS.

And what I found out is, that is so much more of a Zen-Thing to have all these cables, all these knobs, there is not a single second where you think about saving, how to incorporate it into something else, ā€¦

its just there for the moment and i really like it. wanted to start with modular drums, though, because at the end of the day, the kick is a kick, and the toms are toms. you can tune them, you can play with the decay, you can distort themā€¦ but they are what they are.

The shared system on the other side is kind of like everything you want it to be. I do feel a little scared that i wont be able to produce something that i like out of it. donā€™t want to spend 5k an then feel disappointed bc everything i get out of it are unmusical bleeps, zoings and zaps.

but I guess you know the feeling that a seed of ā€œhm, this looks interestingā€ just needs itā€™s time before it grows into the ā€œwhat the hell, lets just invest and find outā€ :smiley: iā€™m just not quite there yet :slight_smile:

but i would be really interested in your experiences, just give this thread a bump now and then and let us know how itā€™s going.

that being said, i really envy your aquisition :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh man, the shared system is a dream. I have access to one (for $44AUD per 4 hour session) and itā€™s so great.

Iā€™ve just bought a 6u frame + power supply for cheap on ebay, my journey is also beginningā€¦ though at a much slower rate :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

That is going in at the deep end!
Iā€™ve just started too after getting an Analogue Solutions Treadstone and a Make Noise 104HP powered skiff. What to put in next is my question? Maybe a MI Clouds.
Have fun!

1 Like

Yeah I know but it was a great opportunity.
Sounds amazing! Wish you the best too. Guess weā€™ll all have a lot fun.

1 Like

Just to keep you updated: everything worked out fine. Picked up the shared system in Vienna. Before unplugging the previous owner (now buchla guy) and myself had a spontaneous techno session which gave a great impression of my experience to come.
At home. A bit overwhelmed by the possibilities.
Read all the manuals, forgot 2/3 of what was written there.
Started to watch YT vids again and again.
Got up in the middle of the night because I thought I have to try the optomix module in xxxx context.
(donā€™t laugh at me but sometimes Iā€™m still confused as the low pass gate doesnā€™t act like a low pass filter. Yeah modular noob).
The sequencer is great, though I often forget about all the power of the mod output and logix. It will sure take some (lot) time to know everything inside out.
The sound is awesome. Hooked it up to the MD (donā€™t know why but sometimes it syncs via imp machines sometimes not). Probably will have to dig deeperā€¦ Or maybe just use a volca or crave to sync it up orā€¦

Maybe a midi to cv module, maybe a clock divider. Hm, an additional mixer module would be cool, too.

Oh no. The Eurocrack has got me.

4 Likes

Haha, thatā€™s really nice to hearā€¦ wouldnā€™t be surprised if i knew your Seller, the scene is far from big here actuallyā€¦

but Yeah, i know the feeling of reading manuals, not truly understanding all of it without having the actual gear in front of me.

cash is already reserved and iā€™m actually ready to pull the trigger, but i really have to say that iā€™m worried to not being able to use it at least for 10 % of what it could do.

iā€™m also watching all the videos and well, while watching iā€™m able to follow but couldnā€™t possibly recreate a single Patch besides a single bassline patternā€¦

got in touch with the guys from schneidersladen to fit my budget into a more user friendly basic setupā€¦ should be able to expand knowledge and thus modules from there on.

so glad that you seem to have Fun with it, wish you all the best!

let us hear something when you feel ready!

1 Like

oh wellā€¦

after watching all the vids out there and reading most of the manuals it suddenly went klick in my head and i really think i understand what the people are doing out thereā€¦

i just donā€™t understand why most of them are producing this unmusical mess, but i guess itā€™s just a different approach to musicality.

long story short: ordered the shared system plus today, ETA in 6-8 weeks.

letā€™ s see how this turns out, i do have quite a good feeling about this. Had the chance to buy a Buchla Musik Easel as well but decided to go with the Shared System because it seemed way more open to all kinds of soundsā€¦

i do hope you still think your purchase was the right moveā€¦

cheerio

2 Likes

Well done. And welcome to the rabbit holeā€¦ although it doesnt have to be one. The SS is a complete instrument and I love its architecture. Endless CV modulation and routing capabilitiesā€¦ can be soft, or hard. Also, its a refreshing step away from traditional subtractive synths I own.

Congratulations and I wish you many happy explorations and subsequent meditative sessions. It brings me so much peace :slight_smile:

And congratulations to you tooā€¦ its completely different workflow to the TSā€¦ youre going to lose your mind :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

The Shared System is fantastic and Make Noise have their synthesis philosophy on point. Good luck!

Just assume youā€™re going to expand and/or replace the more you learn and the more you figure out what you need and what you donā€™t need. One example - does your shared system come with an Echophon (older), or Morphagene (newer)? The latter doesnā€™t completely replace the former, but most people would agree itā€™s a big step up on the same concept. So Make Noise are themselves swapping out modules in the shared system. And they come out with new stuff that are destined to be classics - QPAS most recently, which could very well be in the top 5 coolest Make Noise modules. (and this is just within the MN world - thereā€™s arguably cooler/odder/more interesting stuff out there, like the Mannequins lineup). But whatever happens, youā€™re best off properly learning this system inside and out, which is probably a year minimum, 3 years+ maximum, before making any big changes!

1 Like

Morphagene replaced the Phonogene, the Echophon still exists :slight_smile:

The Rene also got replaced with the Rene 2, and having upgraded my Rene to the newer one I have to say itā€™s completely worth it!

But the Shared System, of any generation, is still a very very competent system.

2 Likes

Mine is the ā€œclassicā€ black and gold. Wooden case, phonogene, rene mk1. My first reflex was to upgrade those and get the tempi as in the ss plus. But having spend some time with it I really dig the way the system is unfolding in front of me. I will get the tempi first. Donā€™t feel the need to upgrade the rene atm. Same with the phonogene. Even with the tempi I am in no rush cause after all Iā€™m an Elektron guy and used to look for workarounds. :slight_smile:
One thing I can say for sure: it was definitely the right decision for me to get into eurorack.
On top: even if I still would love to get my hands on a es Techno System, the ts would be to much of the classic drums and bass in a modular clothing. The SS forces me to go new paths which is really a lot of fun and next level.

1 Like

The Tempi + Rene 2 with the select bus implementation is excellent though! Whenever youā€™re getting the Tempi do consider the Rene 2 :slight_smile: