Eurorack, wish me luck

Good luck! I bought a DFAM and now I’m stood at the edge of the eurorack cliff trying to decide whether to step off. Alternative is to abandon that plan and buy multiple hardware synths and drum machines separately. But then you don’t get the “Lego” possibilities!

Enjoy your new system, no doubt many jealous people here!

1 Like

Just stay safe lol

2 Likes

I questioned this for me too before. But I don’t want any more machine on top that only add a little more functionality with much more space. I hope with euro I might stay focused more on what I need.

That’s interesting because one of the things I like about semi modular and some other hardware is that you get a lot for the cost. DFAM has 2 osc, 3 envelope, one filter and a sequencer for £500. It would cost much more for the separate eurorack modules. If I got a Dreadbox synth, for example, for another £500 I get a lot of extra building blocks.

Have fun. Explore.

1 Like

It’s alive :wink:

My condolences and welcome…ha
Its great but expensive…you wont regret a second of time, inch of space or cent of the fortune in dollars…you dont need luck, you have a shared system.

1 Like

It’s not about bang for bucks at the moment. It’s more about staying focused.
Need a device for one job? get a device that does it. For example don’t get an octa if you only want a volca sample. Kidding but I guess you know what I mean

1 Like

Nevertheless I am thinking about trading my Lyra 8 for a dfam for the exact reason. Probably won’t do it

I think the opposite happens to most people starting eurorack :wink: but it will be a lot of fun for sure. shared system looks amazing

1 Like

Haha yes, have bought myself the TS.

And what I found out is, that is so much more of a Zen-Thing to have all these cables, all these knobs, there is not a single second where you think about saving, how to incorporate it into something else, …

its just there for the moment and i really like it. wanted to start with modular drums, though, because at the end of the day, the kick is a kick, and the toms are toms. you can tune them, you can play with the decay, you can distort them… but they are what they are.

The shared system on the other side is kind of like everything you want it to be. I do feel a little scared that i wont be able to produce something that i like out of it. don’t want to spend 5k an then feel disappointed bc everything i get out of it are unmusical bleeps, zoings and zaps.

but I guess you know the feeling that a seed of “hm, this looks interesting” just needs it’s time before it grows into the “what the hell, lets just invest and find out” :smiley: i’m just not quite there yet :slight_smile:

but i would be really interested in your experiences, just give this thread a bump now and then and let us know how it’s going.

that being said, i really envy your aquisition :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh man, the shared system is a dream. I have access to one (for $44AUD per 4 hour session) and it’s so great.

I’ve just bought a 6u frame + power supply for cheap on ebay, my journey is also beginning… though at a much slower rate :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

That is going in at the deep end!
I’ve just started too after getting an Analogue Solutions Treadstone and a Make Noise 104HP powered skiff. What to put in next is my question? Maybe a MI Clouds.
Have fun!

1 Like

Yeah I know but it was a great opportunity.
Sounds amazing! Wish you the best too. Guess we’ll all have a lot fun.

1 Like

Just to keep you updated: everything worked out fine. Picked up the shared system in Vienna. Before unplugging the previous owner (now buchla guy) and myself had a spontaneous techno session which gave a great impression of my experience to come.
At home. A bit overwhelmed by the possibilities.
Read all the manuals, forgot 2/3 of what was written there.
Started to watch YT vids again and again.
Got up in the middle of the night because I thought I have to try the optomix module in xxxx context.
(don’t laugh at me but sometimes I’m still confused as the low pass gate doesn’t act like a low pass filter. Yeah modular noob).
The sequencer is great, though I often forget about all the power of the mod output and logix. It will sure take some (lot) time to know everything inside out.
The sound is awesome. Hooked it up to the MD (don’t know why but sometimes it syncs via imp machines sometimes not). Probably will have to dig deeper… Or maybe just use a volca or crave to sync it up or…

Maybe a midi to cv module, maybe a clock divider. Hm, an additional mixer module would be cool, too.

Oh no. The Eurocrack has got me.

4 Likes

Haha, that’s really nice to hear… wouldn’t be surprised if i knew your Seller, the scene is far from big here actually…

but Yeah, i know the feeling of reading manuals, not truly understanding all of it without having the actual gear in front of me.

cash is already reserved and i’m actually ready to pull the trigger, but i really have to say that i’m worried to not being able to use it at least for 10 % of what it could do.

i’m also watching all the videos and well, while watching i’m able to follow but couldn’t possibly recreate a single Patch besides a single bassline pattern…

got in touch with the guys from schneidersladen to fit my budget into a more user friendly basic setup… should be able to expand knowledge and thus modules from there on.

so glad that you seem to have Fun with it, wish you all the best!

let us hear something when you feel ready!

1 Like

oh well…

after watching all the vids out there and reading most of the manuals it suddenly went klick in my head and i really think i understand what the people are doing out there…

i just don’t understand why most of them are producing this unmusical mess, but i guess it’s just a different approach to musicality.

long story short: ordered the shared system plus today, ETA in 6-8 weeks.

let’ s see how this turns out, i do have quite a good feeling about this. Had the chance to buy a Buchla Musik Easel as well but decided to go with the Shared System because it seemed way more open to all kinds of sounds…

i do hope you still think your purchase was the right move…

cheerio

2 Likes

Well done. And welcome to the rabbit hole… although it doesnt have to be one. The SS is a complete instrument and I love its architecture. Endless CV modulation and routing capabilities… can be soft, or hard. Also, its a refreshing step away from traditional subtractive synths I own.

Congratulations and I wish you many happy explorations and subsequent meditative sessions. It brings me so much peace :slight_smile:

And congratulations to you too… its completely different workflow to the TS… youre going to lose your mind :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

The Shared System is fantastic and Make Noise have their synthesis philosophy on point. Good luck!