Eurorack noobie

lol

1 Like

and yes never sell what youā€™re happy with , my octatrack is still doing the sampler & sequencer job very well and the digitone the lush polyphonic pads & & fm drums

good luck finding a second hand beads!

disting & pamela are really differents , i hate disting & i absolutely love pam, itā€™s my second module and sometimes i wish i had a 2nd

1 Like

Why the hate? I was thinking of adding it just to have that ā€œoneā€ thing Iā€™d need for a patch. Especially the sample player to feed into Beads.

1 Like

User interface. Itā€™s terrible. That and the constant need to read a PDF file each time you try and use it.

2 Likes

Right. Ok. Iā€™ll watch some videos.

But you donā€™t come to memorize the select few you always seems to come back to?

it does so many things but nothing really well , and??? try spending 180ā‚¬ on something u never use

2 Likes

Pamela is absolutely a part of every patch. I just wish it had a back button so you didnā€™t have long press to get anywhere. Also my brain has a hard time wrapping itself around all the multitudinous modes + the effect all the parameters have on them. I work better with a module with a singular concept, but that can be used in many ways. Like Maths. Same reason I never got on with Plaits but love Noise Engineering voices/oscillators.

Pam is extremely powerful, but the menu was not too much fun for me.
If Iā€™d go eurorack again, I would rebuy it probably though. Just too useful

1 Like

I end up using it for set and forget tasks, like sending clocks and resets to sequencers. I have had one flash of brilliance with a generative patch basically powered by pam. It can do incredible things, especially with cv in, but you have to think of the thing first.

2 Likes

I took a look at Pamā€™s manual the other day and got bored immediately with the idea of editing 8 different outputs. It might not be that bad in reality. Thereā€™s no denying itā€™s abilities though.

one of the main lessons I learned from my little journey. Avoid menus, especially on small modules. They make the whole advantage of using hardware (haptic) obsolete

2 Likes

I didnā€™t find this in the manual on an admittedly less-than-close read, but does the knob work as a macro control when not in output edit mode? So can you use it, for example, to divide the external clock and all the outputs are divided then?

pam is a walk in the park compared to this :image
i must be oldschool :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll explain.

You have 2x push button knobs to control:

Main preset select menu.
Main module set up menu.
Preset functions menu.
Preset x variable.
Preset y variable.

Each list has multiple items to select, each item has values to select.

Each time you select something in a menu you have to wait to see what youā€™ve selected while a word or two scrolls passed, one letter at a time. It isnā€™t fun.
Then you have all the functions which are just placed in the module in a seemingly random order so you need to constantly dive into the PDF. Some functions use input X to do something, while other functions use input Y to do a similar function etc etc.

Iā€™ve owned mine for about 2 years and I donā€™t use it. If I need to use something the Disting does I see if I can do a work around and do it elsewhere first. If you think back at the worst user interface on a synth, something like say a Alpha Juno or Poly800 or whatever, itā€™s worse than that.

Iā€™d get a Disting EX if I had to get one.

2 Likes

not with the knob but maybe the cv ins

1 Like

Wow snooze ok thatā€™s the end of that idea. Thanks.

Yes ok I read that. I guess put an attenuator in there and you have your macro. Hmmmmmā€¦

I started making electronic music on a macbook :upside_down_face: skipped the one knob - tedious menu lessons I guess