Eurorack gateway device - DFAM?

If you get into sampling percussion loops from the DFAM, here’s a cool thing to do so it doesn’t sound so “loopy” and more interesting…
Get a cool groove going on the DFAM, lots of modulation (FM!) and dynamics. If it’s a tonal loop make sure it’s in key with what you’re working on (a tuner pedal can help with this, audition individual hits to fine tune pitches).
When you sample, use two hands to subtly tweak as many knobs as possible for more tonal variation.
Put the loop sample on a track and make the length uneven (I often use 14 or 30 steps) so it interacts differently with the main beat every time it comes around.
Then the most important thing is to have the LFO on s/h set to modify the Amp parameter… with positive values you need to make the overall sound quieter to hear the effect. Add some ping-pong delay to taste to fill in the gaps. If dialed in right this will make individual drum hits jump out randomly and make new grooves every bar.
This basic technique never gets old for me and I use it on every track, even when the DFAM is used as a bassline. Layered with some Minitaur subs on another track you can make great evolving patterns.

2 Likes

Thanks @DonovanDwyer some good tips there.

I have to say it’s nice to get a printed manual, makes a change from having to track down a PDF online. And the cardboard templates are a great idea. I’m basically ready to disappear down a eurorack black hole already! The internet has repeatedly warned me about this, to be fair.

2 Likes

Well, then you can keep your Digitakt, too, because what you would get for selling it are just peanuts in the modular world and won’t make any difference :wink:

4 Likes

very true

Something needs to be said (or rather repeated) about the quality of the DFAM manual, it’s impressive. The blank “patch pages” to draw your patches is a really cool idea, very useful for the learning phase :+1: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Tell ya what, to get an idea of what the DFAM is like, if you have iDevice (an ipad/phone) try out the Ruismaker Noir iOS synth, its amazin

2 Likes