Escaping from the smart phone

In the long lost past I used to buy an album and rinse it to death, then in a few months when one of my favourite artists released something I’d buy that. Compared to today in which I listen to stuff on my favourite youtube channels like Hate or Acidalia, I’ll look at the latest tracks, have a listen, sometimes even skipping through for the best bits but then tomorrow something else is released and I never go back to the previous stuff. It’s a constant cycle that I think many of us are now stuck in.

You didn’t sit around the TV with your friends and share laughs? When i see youngins together out its Imo the same thing. They’re sharing their screens and ear buds and having a good time together.

Im not arguing in support of social media becausr I do think it’s extremely detrimental. It’s just…I can empathize that they would choose it over other sources of entertainment.

1 Like

I did. So you are now meeting your buddies and everybody is hunting for the next meme to show each other? Not impressed with your “sit ins” then.

Been doing music sessions with a buddy some time ago regularly and he was more busy looking at the notifications than actually focussing on the track we were doing. I disliked.

No. I don’t. But then I’m not watchin TV or going out to rent movies with my friends anymore either.

I can’t speak to your friend but I personally wouldn’t do that.

My daughter is constantly showing me tik toks and 90% of it is utter garbage. I keep telling her she’s wasting her life away, she spends hours on it !!

3 Likes

Yeeeaaahhh forgive me but I’m not going to look to Maynard for insights on youth.

2 Likes

Does she think it’s garbage? Did your parents think your entertainment was garbage?

It seems yall forgot you were also once young and dumb.

4 Likes

No worries, good luck. All ages are represented in the video, people can change.

This has nothing to do with that.

I think parents who were able to control the amount of TV were good parents. TV is addictive too - especially as child. Imagine how many books you could have read, new skills could have been learned. It’s not possible anymore because you can’t forbid a child to have a smartphone or control how long they are using it. Well you can but then they become outsiders or your relationship can easily flip if you can’t find a good way of dealing with that problem. Everyone thinks this normal but actually most of the world is nowadays addicted to stuff like TikTok. And only those who can find the balance and put away the device when it’s “enough” will be able to develope skills that are not sich timewasters and actuall bring you forward in whatever way. Memes are definitely not the thing that will bring you forward. It will only trigger dopamine.

2 Likes

Yeah but it’s still a video produced by a group of middle-agers one of whom is one of the most self righteous individuals in music.

Thank you for your insight. My grandma, 84 years old, is on her phone (Facebook) from the moment she gets out of bed until the moment she falls asleep with it in her hand. I live with her.

Did the kids if parents who controlled TV become outsiders?

Parents should absolutely suppress
social media with aggression. Kids need to be bored. That’s when the creative juices start flowing.

2 Likes

Ok. I’m not saying it’s not a problem. My only point is that it’s not all black and white and bleak as Maynard makes it out to be.

Yeah, more or less… now it’s Netflix “what you don’t have netflix??! what you don’t even know the new series we all talk about all the time” … or TikTok … even more if you don’t even have TikTok installed.

Ah who cares. Your kids will be better off and we as parents know that.

And anyway I’m not saying BAN it. Just regulate it. Put a parental app on it and lock that shit down.

Exactly - but it’s in the long run and you can measure your success as parents if the child doesn’t care as well.

I never had a smart phone.

the main reason I´d like to own one is the camera.
I think I refused to buy one for so long now,
because i have the feeling that I use the Internet and computers
way too much at home already.

I always got old cell phones for free of family members
who get new phones every 2 years or so.
I´m afraid the leftovers are completley smart phones now.

I use an old samsung solid extreme for about 3 years now.
Best mobile I had so far. needs charging about once a week.
better connection than most friends smart phones. writing sms sucks… not easy to destroy that thing.

I try to get a phone like that with a decent camera.

I don´t want to become a smart phone zombie.
the only way for me is not having one…

5 Likes

Your child may not care now but they probably will. My parents refused to allow us to have tvs in our bedrooms and we kicked and screamed about it but now look back eternally grateful.

4 Likes

That was the point I was trying to make. Better teach your kid all the cool stuff you can do in nature, an instrument and before all finding the healthy balance. And as stated earlier: I don’t have that either. That’s why I am glad I don’t have kids yet :sweat_smile:

3 Likes