Gear to be CV/gate sequenced by AF/AK

One VERY important thing about Shruthi and CV:

[li]The CV inputs are scanned at a fairly low rate (close to 50 Hz), and their resolution is 8-bit. This prevents audio-rate modulations, and accurate pitch control.[/li]

Source:
http://mutable-instruments.net/shruthi1/faq

It is a deal breaker for a fifth voice, isn’t it?

1 Like

in this old forum thread http://www.elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=2&func=view&catid=9&id=225946

it says:

Here’s my global CV settings…

CV A Config
Type: Gate
Polarity: V-Trig
Level: 5.0 V

CV B Config
Type: Pitch V/Oct
Middle C: +3.00 V
V/Oct: 1.00 V

But I have another setting in my CV B …for a second note … why is that?

The way cv setup is done got changed a few os updates ago, thats all - check out elektrons youtube to see how to setup the cv now.

edit: just did this… hope it helps somebody … thanks so far xponent … http://youtu.be/lMQ_qONSSXw

…take a listen to the shapeshifter :wink:

Slim phatty is now on sale for $595!!! B&H,Musicians Friend,etc

Analogue Solutions Leipzig K

I remember someone writing something about it being possible to add an additional sixth voice and use the FX track to CV sequence. Am I imagining this? Can someone point me to the thread / video?

track 1-4 = 4 voices

cv1 = 5th voice

cv2 = 6th voice

So are you just using the CV track for both the 5th and 6th voices? With one being CV A/B to gate/cv one synth and CV C/D to gate/cv the other?

Yes.

You need to setup something like:
[ul]
[li]CV A = CV on track FX[/li]
[li]CV B = Gate on track FX[/li]
[li]CV C = CV on track CV[/li]
[li]CV D = Gate on track CV[/li]
[/ul]

http://analog.pen.io/

1 Like

So are you just using the CV track for both the 5th and 6th voices? With one being CV A/B to gate/cv one synth and CV C/D to gate/cv the other?[/quote]
yes… what you may overlook: the cv1 out is 1 cable out from the A4 which splits in 2 cable … you still have another cable which is comming out of the a4 from CV2, which then also splits into 2 cable…
in total that makes 4 cables = 2 tracks … shit this is getting confusing… sorry… hands on is the best … just get a Roland SH101 and a Juno, then 2 cv cables and enjoy the ride

This was a pretty good resource for a thread. No idea why the OP sabotaged it by erasing the list and changing the title. Someone should start a new one.

Hi,

I currently have a Minitaur which I like a lot but unfortunately the CV tracking doesn’t work well so I have not put the AK CV track to good use.

I am curious to know what synths people are sequencing using the CV track, specially considering to complement the A4/AK sound. Something moogy seems obvious but I wonder which other synths people use.

Any audio examples of A4/Ak plus another mono synth sequenced by the elektron machine are very welcomed.

[ Moderator note : merged this from here, see other established threads listed regarding this frequently surfacing question] - [ps: no reason the CV tracking won’t work very well if set up right, but it may have a narrow sweet spot, again lots of threads on calibrating]

CV-tracking on the minitaur works quite well for me, you just need to give it loads of love and attention. Remember to calibrate it in the editor. The volt ranges seem to be varying from unit to unit, but dont worry, you’ll get there in the end. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve bought used Analog Four (from GB, so with pound so low it was a good deal) - still waiting for it to be shipped.

I was aware that it won’t sequence external gear via MIDI (which is a shame - would love to sequence my Blofeld, or maybe a soft synth like Zebra or Largo). And I know that there are ways to convert CV to MIDI (I think the Doepfer A-192-2 Dual CV/Gate to Midi/USB Interface is the cheapest way?), but I thought that it will be a little counter intuitive and I started to look for a cheap (under $500 new or used) synth that can be sequenced via CV/Gate. It doesn’t have to be analog - but I’m not sure there are digital synths with CV/Gate (beside Roland System-1m)…

And I’m sure I didn’t thought about them all - what are you thinking would played well with Analog Four?

And if you will ask what kind of music am I doing - I’m not sure to be honest, I’ve had a long break with music making (a second kid, built a house and so on). I think it will be rather electronic, noisy, ambientish and weird.

These are the ones I’m thinking about:
[list]
[]Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms SV-1 Blackbox
[
]Make Noise 0-Coast
[]Moog Mother-32
[
]Doepfer Dark Energy
[]Dreadbox Erebus
[
]Korg MS-20 mini
[*]Waldorf Pulse Plus[/list]

Or maybe use Beatstep Pro and sync it with Analog Four and use it as a sequencer…?

Th egood thing about the Korg and Dark Energy is that they are self-contained voices, same with the delicious looking 0-coast which I tend to think would be best left to its own control in a more organic way, but I think the Korg is terrific value all round as a closed system with huge potential to learn stuff on and explore the hidden depths
The Make Noise sounds/looks amazing and I like its architecture from what I can see, but the MS has a great palette which suits my tastes
The DE1 is a bit more like a one trick pony but it sounds great and all the above keep you from the edge of the euro cliff
You could throw a microbrute in the mix if your budget was reduced, not sure how you’d get much mileage with the BSP

1 Like

I know that modular is a one way to go, I even looked at it, checked prices, made a little virtual system for myself, but I’m not ready for this now :wink: So - as you write, I’m looking for self-contained voice.

I’m tempted by something weird - rather than adding one more voice (even if it’s a different flavor). So 0-coast looks very interesting. And I will look again at MS-20 - I’m not sure it’s “my” sound, but will check it for sure. Thanks.

1 Like

It’s versatile, can be sweet, can be ballsy, can be raw, can be chaotic, always kinda noisy but it’s a bit more east coast, I like the whole vibe of the 0-coast, if cost was not part of the decision it’d be high on a list of mine …

1 Like

I too just bought an Analog Four, partly for its strength as a CV sequencer. I have plenty of old analog to try it with, but I have been having so much fun with the A4+MS-20 combo that I haven’t gotten around to any of the others. Mine’s a vintage MS-20, but a new one should be an even better companion for the Analog Four. The MS-20 has a very different and I think complimentary sound to the A4. The Analog Four seems to my ears to be so beautiful and refined - analog for a modern age - while the MS-20 is so gritty and can really scream. A great combination. I love it.

1 Like