Environmental impact of the music industry

The worse is industrial music! :pl: :
I buy second hand gear, stopped making huge concerts, now my public is my cats. I know they kill birds, but humans are much worth for the planet.
Don’t make more than 1.5 child!

3 Likes

YouGov is a highly respected polling organization who is one of many showing a clear separation between generations in their electoral choices. If you don’t want to accept that there are clear differences in values between generations, that’s your prerogative. I think youth has been doing the most to bring exposure to the problems and leading the way on more sustainable choices (veganism, plastic use, travel ect.)

When a group of people willfully ignore your livlihood for their shortsighted demands, what does one do?

3 Likes

As long as you´re aware of the impact your actions have it is a personal choice and nobody should force you to change your behaviour. If there was an alternative way that would be beneficial for you and the environment that doesn´t involve changing most of your life I´m sure you´d take it so the problem in my opinion is the lack of alternatives and not a lack of people wishing for a better future. My stupid chancellor keeps telling everyone the same old TINA (there is no alternative) fairy tale since she got into office 14 years ago and I´m just sick of these lies we´re being force fed every fucking day with the help of corrupt media.

1 Like

I disagree, if we talk about a western democratic humanistic society … it’s up to everybody to use his or her voice or to participate in a change.

If the majority of a population in a democratic environmet calls for a change, no industry leader or politician will or can ignore this. If the priority of the community is “a good living for us and following generations” and not “consuming as much as possible” the leaders will either change their mind - or - be replaced by other leaders.

But as long as majorities seem to vote for leaders, who are populists and liars, there is little hope for a change to the better in the near future :frowning:

3 Likes

Voting is very different from calling for change, which is one of the reasons we are where we are now. If election systems were designed to efficiently provide leaders that accurately express the needs and concern of the people, we would not have the political class we have today.

2 Likes

Absolutely, but I wonder, do people who care for the planet vote for somebody, who tells them that all scientists warning about climate change are telling nonsense?

I fear that votings in a democratic system are correlated with the true mindset of a population. If they vote for a racist they accept racism. If they vote for a liar, they want to believe, what the liar is telling them and they are happy to ignore facts or believe that those “facts” are “lies”.

If the mindset of the majority would be “green” or “save the environment” the votings would be accordingly.

3 Likes

Oh no on that point I somewhat agree.

On this I disagree, I know plenty of older people who have never used single use plastics, grow their own vegetables, don’t buy a new smartphone every year, ride bicycles, use public transport, prefer to buy locally, keep clothes for years etc etc etc. So whilst perhaps they aren’t tweeting about it, you can be sure many of them are actually doing and have been doing their bit for years. Even when I was a kid you had glass bottles for soft drinks that you happily took back to the shop when empty for recycling, they even gave you money for them.

2 Likes

Exactly … like in our familiy … doing it and trying to be mindful … and try to improve with every year :wink:

Ofc there are always exceptions to the rule.

But when it comes to electing people who can make a real difference, the numbers tell the story.

2 Likes

Great thread, thanks to the OP for creating it. Already, many topics have been touched upon, as well as many perspectives and deliberate life choices.
I can recommend a book called ‘Collapse’ by Jared Diamond, which features many examples of past societies that either succeeded to take their environmental problems under control or fail to do so, which enevitably lead to societal collapse in the long run (e.g. Vikings in Greenland, the Anasazi, Easter Island). Both top-down and bottom-up approaches have been shown to be successful to change socio-ecological trajectories for the better in the past, but examples of societies failing to adapt (because of a variety of reasons, some merely cultural, as in failing to adapt dietary habits) are numerous.
I can understand that people feel that it’s not their responsibility and that governments should control what is allowed or incentivized etc.
I think we need both approaches to steer the earth system back on the right track, especially in combination with a whole lot of education. You can’t protect what you don’t know. Kids that are now growing up with all the climate change, the current mass extinction event, deforestation etc., will hopefully develop a different value system than mass consumerism.

6 Likes

I have always been attracted by post-apocalyptic movies, good or bad, but it’s really in late May that I really began to measure how my (and our) way of life impacts, well, life, and this in so many ways, in such a scale that it is vertiginous…
Trying to reduce my impacts has proven to be difficult, and talking to my family about this, even harder.

Regarding the impacts of music industry, I thought of 3 ways to reduce my part:

• being aware of the environmental question reduced my GAS to almost nothing, and helps fight it when it comes back (although, Osmose… ahem);
  • I also try to stop buying vinyl, because of this video from Benn & gear on vinyl. It’s hard, cause I love them. I can’t even play with the idea to sell them. Guess I should.
  • I only attend local festival, knowing crowd transport CO2 emission is largely the main culprit with such venues.
6 Likes

Politics is a completely different story again even though it´s still part of the same problem.

To come back to the music industry there is also this trend of mega companies that keep buying up the smaller companies until you´re only left with fake competition. Music Tribe or inMusic as just two examples and the whole Investors pushing money into a market they don´t really care about just to squeeze out more money (that as a side fact isn´t even backed up by a real value but is only digital figures in a computer system. Unfortunately the profit margin needs to be earned through labour of other people and so phantasy turns into reality for very few people on the cost of the many). Many companies for basically the same product competing for a limited number of customers but all producing more and more gear every year. But innovation isn´t happening in such big monsters that firstly care about revenue/shareholder profit. I´ve seen more innovative ideas and niche products from DIY enthusiasts in the DJ scene than from any company in the last 10 years. The money being pumped into Native Instruments for example is being used to transform the company into a direction the managers think the users will want. If the rumours are correct they had a standalone Maschine in the pipeline but cancelled it to focus on their new cloud based approach with subscriptions coming in the near future.

1 Like

That’s why I check often on Kickstarter or other crowd funding portals to find “new” ideas :wink:

1 Like

I don’t believe you! I’m curious to know what is almost nothing for you! :joy:
Dractic changes since Synth Fest?
If you feel that guilty, I can help you. I wouldn’t be against a Cirklon, an MnM, a DN…:pl:

Last thing I bought was a PO-33 in late July, and before that a Peak in February.
No drastic change since SynthFest, from now on it’s one in one out, period :slight_smile:

Doesn’t mean I’ll get rid of what I have :wink:

1 Like

The reason why I consider politicians and industry leaders responsible is because of my utter cynisism towards humanity as a whole. If destroying/harming the environment is made very costly/illegal, that is the only way a significant change will occur. Otherwise the people who can make the biggest impact will just shrug off any “ideals” and continue the status quo.

I think your cynicism shouldn’t be directed at humanity as a whole. The majority of humanity just wants to live a peaceful life in safety IMO, but i’m sure that is also debatable to many people. The problem is that the biggest dicks end up in leading positions as, sadly, the focus of our global society is on economic growth. Ruthless people are having a much easier time screwing other people over, consider things such as environmental quality as externalities, and elbow their way to top positions. I don’t really have an answer on how to change that, but my best guess is to try to focus on education and teach children the consequences of their actions as well as rewarding ideas and projects that incorporate cooperation for the good of the whole, instead of stirring competition. I’m sure that sounds very naive to some and I’m sure that people will reply that this is not how the system works. That’s exactly where we need change.
Sorry for rambling and derailing the thread further from the music industry.

2 Likes

I already mentioned that it´s hard to isolate the music industry when the problems it causes are the result of being forced to play the same game after the same rules as the global players, who only got into their position through exploiting nature and labour. You described it well and I also think that education is the key. We flood people with money who are as superficial as it gets while we look down on people who actually do something valuable to society.

The media is playing us through psychological tricks and are also part of the problem, no matter which industry you look at. While we´re discussing this on a public message board, how many articles from the usual channels we get our info about new gear from can you link that are doing proper research on this topic and have a critical resumee about this? The industry needs them to keep planting the seed in our head that this new device will solve all our (creative) problems and is the thing everybody has been waiting for and the media channels need the industry to keep them alive because that´s how they get paid - they need advertising revenue from these companies to finance their magazine/blog etc. So even if the people in the media would like to act differently and people in companies would like to produce in alternative and sustainable ways we have been pushed into a system of mutual dependence which only goal is to keep this system alive.

Like you I think that most people just want to live a peacful live, raise a family and not having to worry about the future. For the remaining psychopatchs, narcissists etc. maybe we should try the method shown in one of the many Simpson´s Halloween specials with the giant billboard monsters destroying the town: just don´t look, just don´t look! aka stop making stupid people famous :wink:

1 Like

How about the environmental impact of the ‘deployment’ of 5G? Anyone care to think about that? No? Just gonna go a head and ‘deploy’ it without ANY long term testing to see if it has ANY effects on the flora or the fauna? Nope? None? Ok; this is proof we are lost as a species.

I’m not convinced that any of the current political parties can make a real difference but of course they all claim they can/will, no the only ones who can make a difference are the general population and most seem reluctant or that it is hopeless, or that they aren’t to blame and that it is someone else’s fault, everyone needs to own it before anything significant can happen.

Identity politics has and always will be one of the greatest challenges that humans need to overcome. Divide and conquer.

2 Likes