Endlesss -- Collaborative Jam Software

The Push Instigation would make a great album name!

1 Like

I used this quite a bit (3 weeks + ?) when it first came out , it was fun to integrate it with the OT, and other gear - and I did a lot of things with endlesss, that I wouldnā€™t have tried otherwise.

a few things I didnā€™t like ultimatelyā€¦

• external input
    the built-in sounds/fx didnā€™t do anything for me, so the ā€˜externalā€™ (mic) felt too much like it was bolted on as an after-thought e.g. it doesnā€™t properly quantised the start/end loop recording, no multi channel audio support to help remix/resample (for OT)
  • too short loops, zero progression / song mode
    it just encouraged me to stick in loop mode, which is a bad habit that I already have and donā€™t want to encourage!
  • jam discovery
    feels really weak, too much going on in the ā€˜public jamsā€™ not enough in others - and no way for others to find jams (other than discord)

in fairness, this is 100% just about how and where I wanted it to go, rather than probably what endlesss is focused onā€¦ so its not entirely surprisingly that little/no dev took place in these areas - which is why I drifted away from itā€¦ but I think most of these are on their ā€˜roadmapā€™.

I have backed the KS though, partly as I think Endlesss is young, and it needs time to develop, and hope they will address some of these aspects.
I also think Endlesss Studio will likely help/solve the issues around external input and also allow me to pull out loops into the DAW and so develop them.

Also, as I have a Push2 , I like the idea this has full support and hope it will create a feeling of a kind of advanced ā€˜hardwareā€™ live looper.

a bit like @J0n35y I do fear there is a chance, that Endlesss studio might not ā€˜work outā€™, but its different, exciting, and they have a lot of enthusiasm - so happy to ā€˜give it a chanceā€™

EDIT:
one important noteā€¦ Im not really into iOS that much for music (currently?!), so was using endlesss on an iPhone, interfaced to external gear - if youā€™re using an iPad actively for music already, I could imagine a different experience (though its not integrated with AUM/Audiobus yet)

3 Likes

:joy: definitely using it for at least a track title

I might still jump on the Studio offer. The lifetime offer is great value but Iā€™m not writing music enough to justify it (I donā€™t think anyway). Iā€™ve also found it impossible to convince close mates to get interested in this one so itā€™d be more of a tool to experiment with random folks. Which in itself is pretty cool.

Lots of potential for sure.

1 Like

yeah, most i talked to were not interested in using the iOS app.

frankly, I do feel they pushed the ā€˜gamingā€™ feel a bit too far, which put people offā€¦
( I get that it needs to feel fun - pick up your phone, off you go)

Im hoping that Endlesss Studio will feel a bit more like a collaborative tool, and so others will be more interested in it on their desktop/laptop.
(Tim has already expressed that Endless Studio is aimed at a bit more ā€˜seriousā€™ use, so perhaps marketing/graphics etc will reflect this)

I guess ultimately, Iā€™d like to see some advances in the online collaborative area, and perhaps endlesss can provide this - or even inspire Ableton/Bitwig to consider it.

1 Like

Only a day or two left on the Kickstarter for those interested.

I was still on the fence about backing it but on Friday I got an email from Tim (or at least claiming to be from Tim!) asking, in a genuinely pressure less way, why I hadnā€™t jumped on my Kickstarter reservation. A nice touch whether it really was him or not! So sat down with it for a bit over the weekend and it started to click. Iā€™m not much of a sharer but jumped on one jam and accidentally shared something. 2 hours later, that something had been remixed several times and become something totally new. And then that was remixed. And again and again. Very cool.

So, Im going to back it. Now just a case of deciding between the Studio early bird price I can still use (Ā£59 I think) or if I want to go all in on the lifetime option (Ā£200). The sound packs are quite handy and from the looks of things Studio HD offers a little more than just lossless audio and full riff history.

If it works as suggested and being able to drag riff components straight into Ableton then that would be incredible fun.

1 Like

Only 30 hours or so left of the Kickstarter and a few early bird offers are popping up here and there. Suspect people are upgrading to lifetime pledges.

Might manage the final stretch goal (exporting song stems) though suspect itā€™ll appear in a future update in any case.

This is a very early sneak peak of the vst:

Actually looks like something thatā€™ll fit my workflow very nicely. Can work on a tune in the studio then jam/remix it in bed or when commuting/supposed to be working to then work forever on it in the studio.

Getting increasingly excited by this one.

1 Like

Endless is really a fun and refreshing way to create, even solo. Instant looping making, and with integration in the computer it should be really easy to then use these loops to jamā€¦ Highly recommended!

2 Likes

Really wish this caught on more, it doesnā€™t feel very alive. Tried using it and all the rooms are pretty dead. Not sure if thereā€™s a better way to find jams to mess around in or what. Also itā€™s a bit shit how itā€™s mostly like 2-4 bar loops. Iā€™d love to just drop in on some hip hop rooms and rap with randos but it doesnā€™t seem to be a thing

1 Like

Must admit to not using it much since pleading for the lifetime offer thing.

Itā€™s a great concept - kind of wish there was a way to string a song together rather than just sharing loops. Getting lost in a loop is whatā€™s killing me creatively these days.

Theyā€™re going through another bout of funding but no idea what the plan/roadmap is.

yeah agreed the concept is all there I think itā€™s just not marketed towards more ā€œseriousā€ musicians properly. Itā€™s a shame because I think itā€™ll go under even though loads of people out there have big interest in jamming with people online. wish I could just sync it so I can record my intended loop in. Plus I found it to be super laggy trying to use an interface with iPad for it and Iā€™m not really interested in using the same few preset sounds repeatedly. I hope it picks up. even more activity would make a big difference, its no good logging on to jam and having to leave it an hour till someone joins

1 Like

Endlesss expanding to the metaverse.

They have already raised Ā£362,881 from 157 investors on the crowdfunding website Seedrs. There is still over 3 weeks left so theyā€™ll raise way over their goal.

Other developments in the musicianā€™s metaverse include Sony partnering with Roblox:

1 Like

Endlesss now has a Windows version and has gone free on all platforms. Finally tried the desktop version - it is fantastic for creating food for the Octatrack and MPC (drag and drop loop phrases out easily). The most potential for me is in ignoring the included sound content (and scale mode/quantisation options, unless they specifically happen to fit) and just using your own sounds/instruments/audio inputs. Really like the retrospective loop phrase capture. Can see this reaching a lot more people now that itā€™s more accessible. Have barely touched the collaborative side but can see it being very cool if youā€™re working with the right people and thinking creatively.

https://endlesss.fm/

3 Likes

Totally enjoying this on the Desktop. The looper is easily the BEST looper Iā€™ve ever used in BitWig or Ableton.

1 Like

Is it just me or have they still not fixed the issue of being unable to change octave of synths from Push?

EDIT - looks like they have and I was running a much older version of the software. Might start playing with this some more to see if it gets me back into the swing of things

1 Like

Itā€™s certainly an interesting development for it to become freeā€¦

I think perhaps more exciting is the idea itā€™ll become open source, perhaps this opens the doors to riffs being created/accessed via other software?!

Itā€™ll be interesting to see how the platform (servers etc) can fund themselves over the years to come, using the new approaches they are planning.

I was a little surprised that Endlesss seems pretty much the same from when I last used it over 18 months ago - Studio is pretty nice, esp with Push 2, its really simple to use - and the retroactive looping is still funā€¦ though it still feels a pretty limited workflow , limited to 8 bars and such like.
fun to jam, on but Iā€™d hoped Studio might have developed the workflow more.

Im quite surprised we donā€™t have things like VST support in Studioā€¦ I recognise you can do this from your DAW if you use the VST, but that then neuters the Push2 support.

Dunno, I enjoyed giving it a go again - but again, left a bit unsure how Id actually use it in practiceā€¦ beyond what I can already in do in (e.g) Live or an Octatrack :slight_smile:

1 Like