Encoder clicks not working

Hi, today I got my first Elektron machine, a used MK1 Monomachine from ebay. The listing stated that the encoders had been professionally replaced and they work fine except for the fact that the click function doesn’t seem to be working. If I press it to clear a trig or to scroll faster as the manual states nothing happens. Has anyone experienced this before or have any advice? I already did a factory reset and nothing changed. Thanks for any help.

On your first day, especially with a second-hand instrument, it’s always worth using the Early Startup menu to run Test Mode, where you can check the functioning of the buttons and knobs.

Download the manual from Elektron’s website if you haven’t already and check the details on page 110.

Thanks for the advice. I performed Test Mode and the Level click works fine, unfortunately none of the other data knobs register anything when pressed. Clearly a hardware issue. So I guess the question now is has anyone experienced and fixed this?

1 Like

Many months after your post, I can advise that replacing the encoders on the MnM is difficult. Not something you can rush on a $ per hour rate. But I reckon the clicks will be fine if the 2 contact pins on each encoder are soldered correctly. Because none of the 8 work, I am guessing the tech simply didn’t solder them. This requires opening up the unit and removing the top circuit board.

I think faulty encoders will be a common problem in the future and I’m going to buy more spare encoders. Its not a pleasant task to replace them, but we have to keep these gems functioning!

Please check the all the ribbon cables between the controller board and the mainboard. Once i had a Machinedrum mk1 wich behaves strange, some buttons were faulty, also at some time the encoder. I took a pliers and pressed the contacts again to the cable (on the cable, itself, not the contacts on the PCBs), hope you understand what i mean. After that my Machinedrum works again.

After this procedure also try to update your OS via MIDI.

Last thing i would look at is the PSU. My Machinedrum MK1 did not boot properly, but sometimes it worked. Couldn´t figure out what was going on for a long time, then i changed my PSU and everything worked. I have measured the faulty PSU but couldn´t find a failure.

If all of this doesn´t work i hope Elektron will fix your problem.