Empress Zoia // Euroburo

I’ve had the ZOIA for a while as part of the beta crew. Here’s an introduction.

Cheers! // Carl-Mikael

16 Likes

The more I think about this the more I think it could be right up my street for processing a couple of external synths with prior to them going into the DT. Then, if you could then have a little generative sequence running alongside for further flexibility. Could be a real useful part of a live setup…

I’m not in any immediate rush so I’ll see how things pan out over the next wee while to see…

• what new modules make an appearance
  • what the cpu usage is and if it could handle what I’d want to do
  • if a computer based editor makes an appearance.

I think patching on the unit looks pretty decent for what it is but I can’t escape the thought that for faster and more in depth patching an editor would be pretty cool.

3 Likes

I don’t know if things have changed in a years time but last year they said no to a computer based editor see this earlier in this thread: Empress Zoia

If i spring for this myself (waiting to hear more on whether it’s CPU starved on larger patches) i plan on just making some sort of chart by hand (with a computer that is) when i design a patch, and referencing that.

1 Like

Cheers, thanks for the heads up on that. Well, hopefully some intrepid soul will make one as whilst I understand the desire to get away from the computer I’d be much more likely to get one if I could use both approaches… not that an absence editor is definitely a deal breaker so much as an editor existing could be a deal sealer.

1 Like

Well since all the patches get stored as some sort of file on the SD card, maybe someone can work out the file format and write a little program to handle it. Even if all you could do was convert a patch you made on the Zoia into some sort of graphic representation that would be very helpful.

1 Like

Curious about two things, if you have the possibility to check or know already.

1.) Can you switch effect modules on/off? Say you have a reverb or delay with a long feedback and then you turn it off and it goes quiet and then you turn it on again and it’s reseted = quiet and waiting on new input audio. Like the reverb in Ableton works if you turn it on/off.

2.) Does the looper have an insert - or the possibility of routing the audio out before feeding it back to the loop? Basically the possibility of degrading the loop gradually with effects and lower the volume - frippertronics-style.

Thanks!

1 Like

We need grains ! Tons of 'em !

The idea of modulating with an envelope follower from my sax mic convinced me to order it. I’ve used an envelope filter before, but it’s just a filter effect. Changing an LFO speed or delay time/feedback with breath, for example, is absurdly exciting to me.

5 Likes

I am looking at the Zoia as an effects pedal too, as well as a synth and sequencer, both. I play the sax also mr_bernard (as well as guitar – poorly) and i like that Zoia could be the only pedal needed with both. I “double” on the Roland Aerophone and so think about the possibilities of using the Zoia with the Aerophone purely as a synth or as fx on the diverse SuperNatural sounds of Aerophone. The Aerophone has several ways to send CCs and so i think about ways to customizing controls on the Zoia.

Black%20Aerophone_a

2 Likes

Olof i think the answer to your question 1) is Yes – if i understand your question correctly. Take a look at Cuckoo’s MegaTutorial 1 – he demonstrates how that is done. Skip ahead to 12:50 where he goes through the detail. (You might want to start from the top though if you need a more full introduction.)

Not sure about 2

I found the Zoia Manual.
And the Module Reference Guide. It’s in a spreadsheet format.
The Guide talks about the Looper function – you can modify the start position and the length, and the playback speed.

I haven’t a clue as to why there are ‘foot’ switches on this?! … its never going to go on the floor is it…

I’d have thought a few knobs would’ve been a nice addition where the foot switches are - at least 5 or 6 so you can assign them and realtime tweak…

It looks cute but I reckon ill give it a miss… You don’t need all the toys in the toyshop!

If you play an instrument that uses two hands (sax, guitar, violin, even keyboard) you will. Lots of people use regular pedals with their hands too, the foot switches are hand pushable too.

For other controls in more of a synth like fashion think about adding a midi controller of your choice.

1 Like

Whacking the cost up though innit… and extra clutter.

Its a great idea, if a bit fiddly. . not very immediate. at least to me.

1 Like

You have a very good point there dee. Empress Effects is a pedal maker so all they’ve ever made are pedals – if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail

I’ll come back to that… Not sure if its a diss?

Not toward you – i agree with you. I’m talking about Empress – the thing they know really well are pedals – so everything to them is a pedal.

2 Likes
  1. Modules themselves do not have on/off switches. You could construct different types of signal flows using a VCA (like @cuckoomusic), mixers or audio switchers.

2. There’s no insert. But I guess (haven’t played with the looper) you could set it to non looping and combining it with a delay (relating to loop time) and your FX of choice and then create a feedback loop.

It’s a modular you know! :wink:

2 Likes

Plus on question 1) re: turning reverbs and stuff on and off, you could flip the “mix” parameter from 0 (full dry) to 100 (full wet) and go from all dry to all wet, or whatever value of wet you might want. [From the Reference Guide.]

@CarlMikaelBjork – a question for you. Do you find yourself building a patch and run out of CPU? I mean you max out the CPU usage meter to 100.

This brings back memories of using an Eventide H9… Many wonderful things possible, great sound, but ultimately the lack of tactile controls turned out too much of a headache for me. I see this zoia potentially suffering from the same dilemma.

Someone really, like really needs to make a MIDI Figther twister with DIN MIDI output! I know one could attach a USB MIDI convertor, but then that be two additional boces required just for using one effects unit…

1 Like

H9 is indespensible on stage as an instrumentalist. Granted, I’m loading patches, not tweaking anything. As much as I play live, this thing saves me from lugging out a bigger pedalboard.

Edit:
Meaning… I see patches on the Zoia being something I’ve set up, and just run. I don’t know that there’ll be a ton of tweaking on stage. I’ll have to see how it goes. I like the idea of having it on a stand somewhere in my effects chain, and having some push button options. I’m sure there’s going to be a lot of various scenarios, and I doubt that I’ll settle on one.

5 Likes