Empress Zoia

it does have a sequencer module :star_struck:

Well fudge me sideways.

Be great to see elektron moving outside the current form factor paradigm, though the 1/2 sized DT and DN are a great evolution.

A superslim battery charged Op-1 machine or a grid controller digital modular like the Zoia.

This thing is seriously blowing my mind.

As far as ecosystem health, around the 13:30 mark he talks about how they’re building looper codes for the other two pedals which they would then use for the Zoia. Which imo means that any code later written can and/or will be used for the Zoia.

And did you pick up that he mentioned being able to send MIDI OUT? And the “mono send/return” feature??

A seriously awesome bit of kit. I can’t wait to try it. High hopes.

“So what kind of building blocks have you got here?”
“Ummm…well what do you want?”
:joy:

i’m very interested in this

would be a huge win

I like when he chains together delays and modulates the timing with lfo’s, coolest pedal yet it seems

please keep in mind he’s talking to guitar players :joy:

Question on TGP: Any chance the environment will be open to other developers?

Empress answers:

In a way, no. In another way yes.

The answer is no because there are already a lot of open source systems available for developers.

The answer is yes because the Zoia is more of a visual programming language than a traditional guitar pedal, so it already is an open environment! For instance, for fun I made an interval trainer using it. And it was funner to do than if I did it in C. First I just used a paper notepad (how refreshing!), and then just translated that into Zoia land. So you can program with it. It probably took less time too! For instance, there are basic modules that let you do conditions and math on audio and cv signals. Cause you can see all the signals quite easily, Zoia is a really good debugging environment. It makes REPLs blush!

The whole point of the Zoia for me personally was to untangle music playing from the computer. I really don’t want to move the interactive environment back into the computer! But if someone has a ton (metric preferably) of money lying around, as a capitalist pig I’d definitely consider it.

About RAM:
Actually we are looking into maxing out the RAM. But RAM sizes don’t really go obsolete on embedded stuff like they do on PCs. On PCs, developers have a lot less pressure to optimize RAM usage, so everything seems to take up a monstrous amount. For instance, I have a single chrome tab that is currently taking up 517MB. That’s like 10 thousand times the amount of memory that the Apollo Guidance Computer had (64kB). One is showing me my email, the other is piloting the only human-made object to have made it outside of our solar system.

I wonder if you could possibly make an elektron style sequencer with conditional trigs with this :grimacing:

I love watching the two nerd worlds meet over this thing like two tribes who while always sharing the same land had never met before:

Guitar:
What in the holy hell is that? That’s not a pedal. One knob? Pfffttt.

Synth:
Oh an untethered Organelle. Noice.

or

Alpha Synth Nerd: “What’s your name again?”

Guitar: Who are you? This is Steve.Bragg.

I would bet money their next big box is essentially a modular.

If there is voting on modules, I’m clicking a million times “resampler”.

empress is asking wheter to add full midi i/o
put a like to vote

https://www.instagram.com/p/BevSYAUgIPp/

Whelp Imma have to sign up for IG now, aren’t I?

Sampling confirmed (on IG :smirk: )

I can’t even with this thing.

Is there a forum or something where we can follow the developement of this ? Their website does not even mention the name…

Thx a lot ! :slight_smile:

Any word on whether they plan to stuff some genuine empress effects into it? Or is it more PD in a box? Guessing it’s more the latter…

In one of the videos, they said that they were the same building blocks as the reverb and delay boxes, so you could recreate them. However, they would come with none of what he called “the presets”.

Interesting. Would be really cool if they were stuffing it with analog effect components like BBD chips and germanium transistors and such. But that’s probably unrealistic. Digital ‘only’ doesn’t make it much less cool. I’m sure some of their best effects -the tape delay, for instance- are digital.

yeah their delays are all digital, and some of the best I have tried (for guitar).
I seem to understand they will put basic reverb and delay blocks, but the user will have to figure out how the “Presets\engines” in their flagship pedals have been created.
I mean, their echosystem delay has a wonderful space echo and a great bbd simulation, you won’t get that out of the box in the zoia

So whatever happened to this?

NAMM 2019 predictions / releases

The goal is to release Zoia by end of 2018, see discussion here.