Empress Zoia // Euroburo

Is this the one?

https://patchstorage.com/falling-forward-a-multi-tap-looper/

Enjoyed playing with your Fading Dream patch last night. Turned up the bit crushers and loved the sound.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the one. My favorite sound on ā€œFading Dreamā€ is sending delay 1 all the way into delay 2 with the bit crusher of delay 1 set very high and delay 2ā€™s diffusion set high/maxed out. It creates a very pleasing noisy wash without being too abrasive.

2 Likes

I think these may be the best digital distortions I have ever heard. Like having Tim Hecker in a box.

I havenā€™t even touched the distortion yet, but Tim Hecker in a box is extremely in my interests! Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Possible to configure the Zoia as a WMD Geiger Counter? (lofi, wavetablesā€¦)

I think youā€™d do some crazy stuff with one of these Sezare56, custom modular fx routes midi sequenced from OT!?! :thinking: Portals will openā€¦ I certainly would enjoy oneā€¦ :smile:

2 Likes

Yup, midi seqing to process Cue Out and feedback to OT inputs ā€¦ tempting ā€¦

1 Like

No wavetables (yet).

But Aliaser, bit crusher and modulator, od, distortion, fuzz and cab sim (its a pedal after all) with 3/4 band tone control. Plus ofc all the cv audio mixing and control.

I should say my standard for digital distortion is very low as i donā€™t usually like it. I doubt that it could hang with something like Soundtoys.

3 Likes

It sits so nicely next to it like a sidecar.

8 Likes

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :smiley:

2 Likes

Had a go on that distortion just now (with the granular module as sound source). Tasty and crunchy! I havenā€™t heard a software/plugin distortion Iā€™ve liked yet (I think itā€™s notoriously hard to do), and this handily beats all of those, for what itā€™s worth. Pretty cool considering good-sounding distortion wasnā€™t even in the top 20 reasons I bought the pedal for.

Iā€™m recently in the process of selling off a bunch of my Eurorack (and gear in general) and slimming down to hardware modules that do useful, unusual, lovely things I canā€™t do easily in software or Zoia. Zoia is now the mother brain of my Eurorack setup, with MIDI->CV and CV->MIDI being handled by Hemisphere Suiteā€™s Captain MIDI program. Itā€™s surprising to me how much of my rack can be replaced with various stuff on the Zoia. LFOs, simple / complex / looping envelopes, clock source and clock mult/div, sequencing and keyboard playing, attenuation, VCAs, randomness, logic, filters, stereo mixing, panning, CV-able effects, audio processing, granular, extra oscillators, FM, wavefolding, ring mod, etc. etc. Obviously not all of this at once, but yeah, I think it handily beats out a Mother-32 or Neutron as a single suite of useful things to be the centerpiece of a Eurorack setup. The main things Iā€™m holding on to in Eurorack-land now are deep analog oscillators and filters, and crazy/unclassifiable/multi-function stuff like Teletype and Just Friends.

Considering getting a Hexinverter Mutant Brain or a CV.OCD for more extensive MIDI->CV. Also considering a 16n Faderbank, which does both MIDI and CV, so I can have some of the 16 faders controlling Zoia parameters and some of them controlling Eurorack parameters. A single controller to unite them both.

4 Likes

Not me, but hereā€™s someone using Zoia as centerpiece for a Eurorack setup. (from this Reddit thread)

1 Like

thing is a bit of a wet dream eh?

1 Like

Has any radioactive incident happened in France we should know of? :thinking: :wink:

4 Likes

Better than Analog Heat?

Well not exactly in that the Zoia is unapologetically digital. It seems to accept that better than others.

4 Likes

You clearly said best digital distortion so I donā€™t get the comparison to Analog Heat, which ainā€™t supposed to be digital.

I went through ā€œanalog is best, and tube is best of allā€ distortion snob phase myself. :wink:

Then I started to appreciate digital distortion approaches like bit crushers.

I just meant IF itā€™s betterā€¦I didnā€™t imply it is or not. Question mark :wink:

JRRShop is blowing out Analog Drive for $99. FYI

Analog Drive you mean? :content:

Oops, youā€™re right itā€™s the Analog Drive being sold for $99, not Analog Heat.

Fixed previous post

1 Like