Empress Zoia // Euroburo

I got lost in a hole with the granular module this evening, making some drone-type patches similar to an EHX SuperEgo. It’s not super smooth at the moment but there’s some tasty grab-and-go action… Even with 8 grains, it’s a little ‘clicky’ when traversing the pos. with an LFO.

3 Likes

So that sounds like Zoia Clouds patch?? Did anyone try to emulate something like Clouds from Mutable Instruments?

1 Like

There’s an attempt on the patchstorage site. I think it’s called Fog…

4 Likes

Hello

just a short question, as I don’t have access and not an owner of the zoia: is it planned to have the possibility to load IR (for exemple for the cabinet sim)?

Thanks a lot !

1 Like

What is this? What do you mean?

Impulse response. Used via convolution algorithm for reverb and speaker cab sim

1 Like

All right. In my area of work it’s infrared, I had trouble to find another meaning for that.
I love it that I still have so much to learn after 30 years of practicing, listening and reading about music :smiley:

2 Likes

It might do… IDK. TBH, I haven’t played with any of the default stuff! I cleared down and went straight into making my own things.

2 Likes

The short technical explanation: by measuring the response of a dynamic system to an input impulse you can afterwards calculate the response of the system to any other input signal.

So theoretically you can simulate a complex dynamic system (like the reflections within cave) from a single measurement.

Another application of IR is the simulation of analog audio gear. By measuring the impulse response you can afterwards simulate that analog gear digitally.

5 Likes

OK, thanks for the clarification @tnussb.

So @yomanfree what is it that you have in mind exactly when you say the following?

As @yomanfree is also a guitarist, Cab sim I guess! :wink:
Cab sim IR can be short.

IR Reverbs are longer, usually very cpu demanding.

I used IR deferently here, you can use any sample as IR (water sound, drums modulating a river, at 34s, Samplitude Convolution reverb).

OK, I hadn’t understood that you could save and load impulse response to get e.g. cab sim.
I thought it was just the technical mean to analyze, well, the response to a simple impulse.
OK, I am useless here :smile:

More and more guitar fx uses IR. That’s be great. I already have an HX Stomp, who’d love a Zoia next to it…

Is flowers…
https://youtu.be/63d7WXflSGE

2 Likes

Oh ! And the A2 jingle ! Instant flashback :smiley:

I never really clicked with cab sim, but last time I tried it was still the XXth century so I guess it evolved a bit…

1 Like

It is. But since the response to a simple impulse is just another audio file you can “miss-use” the calculation process (convolution) by using any audio you want as impulse response. Think of a very strange cave where you send in a pulse and hear a piano sound as response … :wink:

3 Likes

There is a thread that has 9 upvotes concerning user uploaded IR’s but it doesnt appear to have enpough traction to get on the roadmap yet.

Thanks Sezare Willow ;-). Perfectly right my first thought was Cab sim (but nobody would complain for more).
Thanks

1 Like

Thanks Matthew for your checking and answer, then unhappilly low chance to have it. IR for sim cabinet could be a nice to have, yet probably not for all. But if the hardware could support any IR loading, it could be a huge thing for all musicians I believe. But probably not a small update, and the Zoia can already does so much things …Thanks again.

I wouldn’t give up hope. It looks like the criteria for feature adds are a mix of ease of implementation, user feedback and the amount of time the team has specifically allocated for new features. Things with low user support have been added because they are relatively low impact and easy to implement.

1 Like

I really really like what I’m reading here and would give up my Strymon Bluesky and a Doepfer Dark Energy (my only analog synth) for this thing. Do you think it’s worth the sacrifice?