Empress Zoia // Euroburo

HOLY SH**. That’s IT. Magic.

1 Like

I might need to mute this thread or I’ll end up ordering one.

6 Likes

I believe you can also put such non needed stuff on an additional page, can’t you ?

2 Likes

I’ve edited the printable Module Index to get rid of the 11 pages of wasted space at the end of the file. I’m really hoping nobody wasted the paper and ink on that! Apologies for the mistake. Updated file here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw-i3MZ5AmVKaF92WXBmczZMcW1DYnFDVUpPWWcyZnY4cUZr

2 Likes

How are the reverbs? Can they hold up against a Eventide Space for example?

1 Like

The pre-built ones are tasty as you’d expect from an Empress machine. For me, there are no better 'verbs than on my BigSky (the Cloud machine is my go-to) but considering how much bang for buck you’re getting with the Zoia, it’s near impossible to complain about anything with it!

5 Likes

Strymon and Eventide are best-in-the-world caliber, let’s be real. But yeah, my feeling is “world class pre-built effects, you wouldn’t blink at any of these being housed in its own exclusive boutique pedal”, I would say up there with anything short of Strymon and Eventide, which works for me. The “ghostverb” is especially nice (I believe it’s lifted directly from Empress’ Reverb pedal, so no surprise). What really sends it over the top, though, is how much modulation and routing you can set up for those pre-built effects. Which approaches (surpasses?) something like Strymon Magneto in eurorack for flexibility + sonic quality as a combo. You can get VERY WEIRD with these reverbs if you want to, or syncopated with your beats, with very complex tails weaving in and out of your mix, etc.

3 Likes

Of course, you can listen yourself. I think Benn & Gear had a video letting you hear the quality of the reverb.

1 Like

Out of curiosity: what is a pixel in Zoia’s terms?

1 Like

It puts a colored block on the grid. The brightness can be controlled by CV or audio. Pretty simple module but a great building block for grid UI/controller stuff.

3 Likes

Thanks @vaporlanes and @Waves. Background of my question is if i could settle with a reverb from the Zoia and sell my Space (as in: less gear). And in the meantime enjoying all the possibilities of the Zoia in other situations (which i can think of a lot!).

1 Like

Earlier in the thread it was reported that some Zoia reverbs consume quite a bit of CPU.

I plan to get a Zoia sometime this year but am keeping my H9 Max for various reasons - avoidance of one box taking all reverb duties being one of them.

2 Likes

Yup - the ‘big’ reverb patch is heckin’ hungry. I never leave home without a reverb pedal or two, regardless. The Zoia has so much more potential than being ‘just a reverb pedal’, though.

1 Like

Mmm yeah, i suppose i’ll miss a dedicated reverb when playing with the Zoia :wink:

Agreed. I also preordered a VFE Klein Bottle, which has 3 send busses, among other things. It will let me route audio between three devices (eg. Zoia, H9, and Octatrack) in some handy ways.

2 Likes

Ive put an ADSR After the envelope follower so that the modulation isn’t so “hectic” I then

So the ADSR goes into the delay parameters and then the delay goes into a gate and the gate goes into a VCA.

I might remove either the gate or VCA as they sorta do the same job of gating the output.

I’ve also been thinking of adding a filter after the envelope follower to filter out the CV in different frequencies to modulate different effects.

For instance have a delay rate for a high frequency delay modulated by the low frequencies of the signal and vice versa. I think it could turn out pretty cool.

2 Likes

Cant wait for the “big” review from you :slight_smile:
Almost pulled the trigger almost.

1 Like

Aaaand we have new firmware, with a granular module :aw:

8 Likes

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I was having a play last night with the looper; tryin to get some Alva Noto/Ryuichi Sakamoto ‘incremental sampling’ going on. This machine is just bananas! It was working, then not, then it was, then it did something I wasn’t expecting, then I sort of made it work but not really so I stopped because my head was hurting.

Time to update with the granular!

1 Like

Lordy lord.

Man Empress does not mess around with updating this thing. Bodes well for the future.

6 Likes