Empress Zoia // Euroburo

Because they are a guitar pedal company, but that brings up a great point. A larger format verison would get a shit load of attention.

1 Like

What about the provided algos for delay , reverb , chorus any good ?
I think thatā€™s what differentiates the Zoia from Max or PD or the Axoloti etc.

1 Like

Hmm, wonder if there is space to swap out the stomp switches for some more suited to desktop use, arcade buttons? :rofl:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve a few of the plastic pedal button caps

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1yed1uNGYBuNjy0Fnq6x5lpXaA/Vangoa-Foot-Nail-Cap-Effect-Pedal-Cap-Switch-Topper-Aluminum-Material-Anti-slip-Guitar-with-Wrench.jpg

3 Likes

I like that its size. if it were any bigger that would up the price and then I would question selling my OT and I just donā€™t need that anxiety :slight_smile:

Never knew those existed, thanks!

https://barefootbuttons.com/

Whatā€™s Zoia: 3PDT or SPST?

3 Likes

Iā€™ve got cheapie Mooer plastic caps.

The barefoot metals looks great, but kind of pricey. Zoia might deserve metal ā€¦

Just measured and they are 3/8" in diameter, so youā€™ll want Version 1 buttons.

2 Likes

So far Iā€™m really enjoying the Zoia and can absolutely see the potential, but I think one area that impedes my own creativity a little is the ā€œexplorabilityā€ of the modules. One thing that I liked most about my very modest Eurorack modular setup was the ease with which I could just throw a patch between an input and an output and go to town without really knowing what I was doing. The Zoia interface does a good job of facilitating patches when you know what youā€™re doing, but less so (IMO) when you donā€™t and just want to explore. The included patches help here, for sure, but for exploring ā€œfrom scratchā€, it seems like you have to have at least some sort of goal in mind.

Donā€™t get me wrong, my Zoia isnā€™t going anywhere :slight_smile:, but I do find I need a little more inspiration before sitting down in front of it than I needed with a Eurorack setup.

EDIT: One thing to add is that the Zoia replaced an H9 Max as a permanent desktop effects module and I couldnā€™t be happier with the routing flexibility and the amount of great-sounding effects on tap.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve made a lil printable pdf out of the Zoiaā€™s Module Index. I was having a hard time with the giant spreadsheet thing. Itā€™s available for download here.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw-i3MZ5AmVKaF92WXBmczZMcW1DYnFDVUpPWWcyZnY4cUZr

Hoping this helps someone! Still loving the Zoia btw, Iā€™m barely scratching the surface making patches from scratch and Iā€™m already absolutely convinced itā€™s fucking magic :thup:

10 Likes

Thanks for the pdf, I was thinking of doing it but no need now :thup:

2 Likes

No problem! Honestly Iā€™m sure someone else could do a better job with formatting and all, but itā€™s working for me.

Maybe Iā€™m old fashioned but I seem to be able to focus better reading from paper than I do from a tablet or phone.

I try to read through a manual and I swear I always seem to spontaneously find myself browsing Elektronauts :drunk:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had the ZOIA since launch but my busy life has kept me from really digging in. So yesterday I finally found the time to sit down with it and I set out to recreate the glitchy delay that is known as BOSS RSD-10.

Audio routing;
Audio in->delay->gate->VCA->audio out
Modulation routing:
Audio in -> envelope follower -> ADSR -> delay parameters/ gate parameters/ VCA parameter

4 Likes

Iā€™m really liking all what Iā€™ve seen from the zoia so far. For current owners, is this use case possible:
Use an expression pedal to control the level of incoming audio. So if the pedal is up, there is no audio coming in, and if its down, audio is coming and processed.

You could run an expression control to a VCA that comes straight after the audio input, yes.

3 Likes

Hi, I thought this would be fairly simple, but I was so wrong (or Iā€™m missing something obvious).

I am trying to take a CC input & send a PC to an external midi channel.

Taking the incoming value & using that as the output value works as expected.

The problem is triggering the PC to send. Triggers seem to depend on an increase in CV, so sending a lower numbered program change is difficult.

If I use an LFO, it will trigger the PC & send it according to itā€™s cycle, so I know that the send works.

How can I trigger the PC every time that the incoming CC value changes?

I am really scratching my head here. I tried sending a delayed inverted value after the initial value, but could not seem to make this work.

Many thanks :slight_smile:

Mine arrived today, so far had about 45 minutes with it, itā€™s amazing and worthy of all the love it gets, Iā€™ll do a little write up later, but initial thoughts are that it is almost like a new hobby rather than just an fx box, sounds amazing and well built, a bit smaller than I expected but not cramped in any way, wish the encoder was below the display but no other gripes so far.

9 Likes

ha mine arrived today too.

So far just had time to play on the run ā€¦ i think i need to spend a few hours just thinking about how to apply it before diggin in :grin:

4 Likes

Whoop. Made myself a pretty decent 3-channel looper. No sync between the loopers but the start/stop/reset are independent per channel which is desirable! It sounds clean AF, too; really nice to have the headroom. Running three 16s loops with a bit of an overdub on each only tops the Zoia out at about 35% so thereā€™s still room for effects and junk!

Having only 3 footswitches on the unit is somewhat limiting for this application but itā€™s OKā€¦ Iā€™m using the grid keyboard input module to switch between channels. Need to get an extra footswitch. Is it easy enough to make a control on the Zoia that cycles through values (eg. for an input switcher) rather than having to rely on separate control buttons for each channel?

2 Likes