Empress Zoia // Euroburo

Zoia over Organelle for me. Could never really get on w/ Pure Data or other modular softsynths on desktop, kind of do ok on IOS devices.

Cuckoo seems fairly focused on using Zoia as a compact synth, based on his vids. But he seems to have a particular taste in synth tones.

Donā€™t hate, but I have a 27" iMac on my studio desk, so itā€™s nice and in my face when Iā€™m tinkering with Zoia.

Just my opinion. I think this product has really too many ideas, on a very limiting form factor. Is it a stombox or a tabletop unit? I donā€™t understand itā€¦ so complicated, and the lists, clicky encoder and foot switches annoy me a littleā€¦With 550 Rothschildā€™s paper you can express yourself with products that have better interfaces for fluent creations.

1 Like

Using a computer while working the Zoia?? Blasphemy! :slight_smile:

Since youā€™re using an ā€œactualā€ instrument maybe you know the answer to this: if I went to send the zoia signal out to a for example instrument level distortion pedal do I need to reamp the out and DI the in? I canā€™t imagine I would but I donā€™t want to presume anything.

The encoder doesnā€™t seem nearly as clicky to me as I thought it was going to be from the videos (esp cuckooā€™s).

Personally, I think itā€™s as complicated as you want it to be, or it can be straight forward. As the community grows the user-made patches are going to be enough for many people. I will say, this is not for everyone, nor does it have to be.

1 Like

I thought was the name of a device I hadnā€™t heard of, :smile:

Out of curiosity: which devices are you thinking of that are ā€œbetterā€?

1 Like

Not in my experience. It behaves like a regular pedal in that regard. In my videos (though they arenā€™t on for the demo), the Zoia is after my H9 and before my Avalanche Run.

What do you want to do with it? :joy:

That brings up a related question - is the process of setting the input (gain) and output level as straightforward as other patching operations on the Zoia, as depicted in videos by Cuckoo and others?

I think the default input gain is -6dB. I havenā€™t touched it, but you can adjust it in the settings (shift and bottom right pad). Output, I manage through whatever the connection is before the audio out module, or in between modules if thereā€™s any kind of overload. You can also put a VCA anywhere youā€™d like if you need more control.

1 Like

Output gain is easy. When youā€™re creating an audio out module, thereā€™s an option for gain control or not. By default itā€™s off. Iā€™ll have it on pretty much always - if anything, itā€™s the quickest way to a volume knob.

3 Likes

Ha! Right. forgot about that option.

I have an Organelle and a Zoia. Itā€™s hard / unfair to compare something thatā€™s had years to gestate with something thatā€™s still shipping out to early adopters. BUT, I already see myself using the Zoia far more than the Organelle. I came to grips that I just wonā€™t learn PureData - no time, baby, not instantly gratifying. Orac fixes some of this, but with limited control. Iā€™m not building something from scratch, Iā€™m just connecting a Braids module to a sequencer. Zoia is instant - amazing how quickly I can build something complex - and to my ears, it sounds better than anything else out there - DSP and synth engine sounds better than Nord Modular, which was my criteria before I made the bold statement that it improves on the NM :slight_smile:

My first patch was a crazy insect chattering unruly, unstable thing with 3 oscillators and wildly modulated effects. That was before I really knew what I was doing. Not bad for a ā€œhello worldā€!

4 Likes

Also, I made a keyboard page for it, with each key triggering something completely different within the patch. With that kind of flexibility, Iā€™m not concerned about Zoia not being synth enough.

Iā€™m curious about the sequencer. Need to see if I can program per-step probability, etc. If so, then the sequencer can be Elektron-ish.

Iā€™m really surprised by the synth examples iā€™m hearing. I have both Nord Modular but im gasing for the Zoia. I think the big difference between the Zoia and something like the Organel is the building block algos. I assume the modules offered by Empress are top quality.

2 Likes

Is there anything Zoia can do different or better than an effects rack in Ableton? I get the desirability of hardware, though trying to figure out if this is a waste of money for me, since all my instruments already run through my DAW (Ableton is essentially my FX box/mixer).

Anything!

Better for chiptune sounds, or better in general :grinning:

Sorry, Iā€™m thinking of our man cuckoo and his propensity for video game tones - love ya cuckoo!

1 Like

Cuckoo is the absolute best at tutorials but his music tastes arenā€™t my cup of tea all the time! Donā€™t assume you can only sound like Cuckoo. Nothing Iā€™ve made has been chiptuney yet, just unabashedly experimental. Insect chatter from Mars, turned a tame Mother-32 sequence into blown out harsh noise, etc.

1 Like