Empress Zoia // Euroburo

Yup same here, tried Prymaxe for the Zoia discount, was probably an error that they corrected.

1 Like

Surely down to personal preference. But.

(and I donā€™t own any of their other pedals)

The grid is HIGHLY intuitive. Patch selection, connections, modulationā€¦ Iā€™m very impressed of how they made the UI work.

3 Likes

Good post basehead617, your experience with other Empress products is really informative. I got the impression after reading the detail of all the third party power supplies Empress recommends for the Zoia that you needed to get your own. And i like your expression ā€˜magic word divingā€™ ā€“ been there done that. And i hadnā€™t thought through the issues with the thickness of the Zoia as it relates to it playing well with other equipment on the desk.

As to TRS plugs for MIDI iā€™ve changed opinion on this. I prefer TRS MIDI connections now, now that itā€™s an official standard and you can go device to device with a regular old TRS cable. (Please donā€™t shoot me ā€“ I know there are other opinions on this, which i respect because i used to hold them.)

About the MIDI Association TRS Cable Standard

The MIDI association back in August of '18 gave specification for this. (Empress sure as hell has better have followed this standard!) So that means you can just plug a standard TRS 1/8" (3.5mm) between to MIDI ports that support the standard, no need for DIN MIDI cables then. And you can use any standard TRS to DIN MIDI converter cable interchangeably. This of course does not apply to devices that are not standard ā€“ and that can be a headache for devices from before the standard. Whatā€™s the use of six connections on a DIN connector when you only need three? Thereā€™s a lot of nitty-gritty detail about pre-standard connections here.

NOTE: The MIDI standard TRS does not apply to the Zoia Control Port, which is 1/4" and manages to squeeze both in and out together on one plug, so you will need a special, custom sort of cable if you decide to use the Zoia Control Port for an extra midi connection. ADDED: Also read the detail in the manual regarding the in ports between the TRS MIDI connections and the Control Port MIDI.

It was a bit strange. Didnā€™t work for me at first and I gave up. But later I got an email saying ā€œFinish your purchase!ā€ and the discount did apply to that, so I completed the order with the discount. It does sound like a bug, I suppose.

4 Likes

I guess I might be a little anal in this caseā€¦ according to the specs the enclosure is 1.75ā€ thick and 2.25ā€ with controls, but for me, it feels awkwardā€¦ maybe a lower table height it would be okay. I took a pic from desk level. Itā€™s obviously meant for the floor with foot switches, etc.

Zoia is even slightly taller with controls, 2.625". Iā€™d definitely want either a low low table or slanting stands.

1 Like

Empress was over on Lines forum. They said theyā€™d be happy to see someone write an editor and would provide all the necessary information. :metal:

EDIT: File player, ability to make custom samplers and granular confirmed coming on IG :metal::metal:

9 Likes

Iā€™m in.

1 Like
3 Likes

man, zoia is sick :relieved:

2 Likes

the layout makes me think itā€™d be amazin if deluge had been made by empress, or if it had this kinda modular functionalityā€¦ and decent synths n fx. would be absolutely mint

1 Like

I donā€™t know about all of you but this seems amazing. I think it would pair really well with an Elektron Machine specially since it can be controller using midi (Right?). Seems fun but they added two more knobs or something.

How To Build Effects ā€“ 12 minute instructional video

1 Like

anyone know any battery packs thatā€™ll work with zoia?
checked the compatibility list but they all seem to be wall power supplies.

Itā€™s a standard 9V guitar pedal adapter. 300 mA or whatever. Hack it to your liking.

3 Likes

gotcha :+1:t3:

After having sold all my eurorack last year due to finances, its bananas :banana: :banana: to think how powerful the zoia is for ā‚¬550. my rack cost about 3.5k n was nowhere near as flexible. not to mention the portability factor. really lookin forward to this.

2 Likes

Just out is a new one from Pedaltrain the Volto 3 itā€™s 9 V.

3 Likes

You earned Bonus Points!
:monkey::sparkles::banana:

2 Likes

:speak_no_evil:

1 Like

nice one :slight_smile:
I ended up goin for a harley benton powerplant powerbank. some reviews say its a bit noisy so we shall see. itā€™ll do nicely for starters in any case being only ā‚¬40 eurobeans.