Empress Zoia // Euroburo

It feels like we’re entering an era of more programmable devices, I like this evolution :slight_smile:
I guess it’s the appropriate answer to the modular paradigm in a way…

9 Likes
3 Likes

Right! I really like the notion of the Zoia- it’s seems like a step towards a hardware/twiddly version of those patching programs.

I’m hoping someone will make something like this, with a better display, and a USB port for potential computer editing to get really precise(and maybe to stream audio through)

THAT would be really cool to me- but this this is just brilliant

2 Likes

I would assume they will have a way to edit on a computer then save to an sd card…no? If not…:confused:

I mean even the person in the above video said “I have bad eyes.”

1 Like

I hope- but I would think if they intended on computer editing there’d be a USB port on there, which I haven’t seen anybody mention. It seems counter intuitive for taking in and out the sd card when patching something together…

They will apparently not be making a computer editor themselves

(from /r/synthesizers on reddit)

1 Like

Shoot- well, it’s a step in a good direction at least

Oh wow. Well, then I’m not sold yet until I can muck about with it.

1 Like

on thegearpage they said it’ll have about 100 modules.
it’s not in pure data.
users will be able to share presets/chains.

empress has a voting forum to submit firmware/modules requests

I had the superdelay vintage modified, now have the reverb and echosystem. seriously amazing sounding effects. gotta say the firmware got updated with addons.
they’re even adding a 5 track looper into each of these effects.
they take their time but they do stuff eventually…

6 Likes

I remembering them doing that. So they came through in the end?

I mean it is a lot. Not like we won’t be starved for options. Plus I imagine, whatever the work on in the future, would just offer later…

Good to hear.

I’m blown away by this pedal!

11 Likes

Very impressed. Aside from its obvious use as a slew of guitar pedals, I can see this on an effects send in a portable live setup and as an Octafood creator.

2 Likes

If they incorporate a sequencer into this thing, I’m sold. It would be an insanely portable little box on which to jam out ideas.

Zoia looks very useful, great interview Cuckoo, asking the tough questions!
Who knew David Duchovny worked for Empress :grin:

Really liked: “Make a synthesizer from scratch … can you do like, an FM synth for instance?”

1 Like

@cuckoomusic - Well done on the Zoia interview! Got some important questions answered there.
“Unprecedented potential” is absolutely correct. Thanks :thup:

One of the (many) crazy things just casually mentioned in the NAMM videos is that you can easily assign MIDI CC numbers to anything you want in the Zoia. The idea of using that in conjunction with Bitwig or Numerology is properly doing my head in. Instant complex insanity!

1 Like

it does have a sequencer module :star_struck:

Well fudge me sideways.

1 Like

Be great to see elektron moving outside the current form factor paradigm, though the 1/2 sized DT and DN are a great evolution.

A superslim battery charged Op-1 machine or a grid controller digital modular like the Zoia.

1 Like

This thing is seriously blowing my mind.

As far as ecosystem health, around the 13:30 mark he talks about how they’re building looper codes for the other two pedals which they would then use for the Zoia. Which imo means that any code later written can and/or will be used for the Zoia.

And did you pick up that he mentioned being able to send MIDI OUT? And the “mono send/return” feature??

A seriously awesome bit of kit. I can’t wait to try it. High hopes.

“So what kind of building blocks have you got here?”
“Ummm…well what do you want?”
:joy:

4 Likes