EMERGENCY: I think I just deleted all my Octatrack work

I’m losing my shit because I think I just lost all the work I’ve done in the last year.

I hadn’t backed up my Octatrack in a while, so I decided today would be a good time. I had the usual issues with getting my Macbook Pro to acknowledge that the OT was even connected via USB mode, but eventually it did.

I then tried to drag and drop the set I wanted to back up from the OT’s 4gb standard compact flash to my computer desktop. I realized immediately that it would have been better to copy it instead of dragging it over, but before I could do anything I received a message that some files were corrupted and that I should back up as soon as possible.

So, the Set folder is now on my desktop and not on the OT, but NOTHING IS IN THE FOLDER EXCEPT FOR 2 AUDIO FILES! Nothing else transferred, but the original is also no longer on the flash card. Everything ‘disappeared’ on the way to my desktop and I fear it is gone forever.

I only use the OT sporadically, but was actually backing it up today because I was excited about some work I had intermittently completed over the last few months (and particularly over the last week). Much of that work will be impossible to reproduce; the samples were captured live from jams, friends’ instruments, even the radio via my OP-1, and were heavily edited. I would literally just give up on all that stuff and have to move on.

I’m not hopeful, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Don’t load any new files to the CF card or create any new projects. If possible put the CF card in an external reader to keep the OT from making new files.

Then find a file recovery software for OSX, and pray.

Fingers crossed for you. @Rusty may have more tips…

3 Likes

I think I’m fucked. Earlier, before I ejected the compact flash from the OT, I checked the ‘STATUS’ in the SYSTEM menu and it showed that the card was completely empty. Now I’m trying to at least use my old backup (on a different card) and it’s saying some files can’t be transferred. Also, I keep losing the USB connection with the OT. Fuck.

[quote=“Anfim, post:2, topic:36509, full:true”]
Don’t load any new files to the CF card or create any new projects. If possible put the CF card in an external reader to keep the OT from making new files.[/quote]

Countersigned. So the card is empty now?

This may be a point of recourse.

According to the space left on the card via the STATUS option, that set has to be completely gone (there was only one that I ever used). There are still a few other files on there, but nothing I need.

Dont fret. It is what it is.
Nothing is done that cant undone.
Your best is yet to come. Is. yet to come.
Yesterday is yesterday. Fuck that.
Look to today.
Best times youll have and you wont even FUCKING realise. Lifes dichotomy.
Love man.

1 Like

I hope the best for you. If it doesn’t turn out, I’m super sorry…

Been in the same situation but with a low quality CF card I was using with a Sony camera and OT. 100% the same principles, though, so here’s what worked well enough for me:

1. Echoing earlier advice: Don’t save anything to that card at all or rename any files on it as either action can overwrite the data you’re trying to recover. Best put it on a shelf until you…

2. …buy and use Data Rescue. It will be the best $99 (or so) you’ve ever spent. It might appear focused on pciture file recovery but it actually does the lot. I think there is a trial version to test things with. Tip: use Data Rescue’s full-card-backup-first option (can’t remember the exact bame of the function) as this means you run less risk of stressing a failing CF card with multiple recovery attempts. https://www.prosofteng.com/data-rescue-recovery-software/

Using this, I’ve managed to get all sorts of files (audio, video, Word docs, pictures) back for myself and other friends with CF card corruption and accidental deletion issues.

Good luck!

As Anfim and Rusty said, even if it is erased, there’s a chance to recover files with a software if you don’t write again on the CF…

I had a similar incident - macOS (Sierra) and OT. CF card was empty! Found a CF adapter, connected to macOS and did a low level recovery of the file system. Recovered all :wink:

I used https://www.cleverfiles.com/

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your help. I’m just an amateur who does this for fun, but this still feels like a huge loss. I genuinely had to fight back some tears at the thought of some of the things I likely won’t get back.

I think the problem was with my USB cable. I would intermittently just lose connection between OT and Mac (even though the cable words great with my other equipment). I’m thinking I lost the connection sometime during the transfer of my Set to the Mac, so it was only partially moved. Nonetheless, it was erased from the OT as if the whole thing had made it to my computer.

Unfortunately, before I realized exactly what was going on (and that the Set was basically empty), I transferred it back to the OT. So, I think that’s why my OT card is nearly empty. I have my Set back on it but there’s nothing really in it. I’m assuming this would have copied over any hidden data that remained, but who knows. I didn’t save/write anything from the OT after that (didn’t mount a set), so maybe a miracle is possible.

I tried a new cable and new compact flash card, and everything is working well. I managed to put my last backup (over a year ago!) on the new card, so at least I have much of my old work/samples there. It’s just the absence of this last project that is most upsetting. As a novice, I’ve been working hard to improve, and I feel like I just started to hit my stride a bit. Even if no one hears my stuff, it’s incredibly satisfying to create something to be reasonably proud of.

Anyway, thanks again. I have the old card, so I guess it’s worth seeing what I can salvage. You guys are awesome.

6 Likes

I was just thinking this the other day what if my cf card went awry. I backed up my work so it’s safe in email, ext hardrive , and computer. God luck there!

1 Like

Yep. Always backup if its important to you. Doesn’t matter what it is.

Theres tools out there for it, use them and have a process.

And do disaster recovery, otherwise backups are pointless.

1 Like

The sad thing is that I lost the work while trying to back it up, but had I done so more regularly I wouldn’t have lost so much. Lesson learned.

If only there was a member of this community who would release some software to provide more file management and editing options for the OT. You could call it OctaEdit, or something catchy like that. :grinning:

2 Likes

That sounds like a very crazy, unproductive, poverty inducing, mental health detoriating idea… who’s up for it?

Or even an intelligent archiving tool, could call it OctaZip?

4 Likes

The Irony…