Elk-herd 3.0 beta: Project Import at last!

Finally got around to using this last night. I’m prepping for a show and it’s making things super duper easy. @mzero you are the best!

1 Like

Thanks, turns out the panic is over as I upgraded to the latest firmware (without Overbridge) and have now been able to restore the old project file on the DT. Didn’t actually realise I was out of date. Very glad I backed up (as you suggest of course!) and that this part isn’t affected by the OS. Good lesson there in taking care!

I take it this works with Overbridge on the latest firmware, but I’ll try it out maybe on a test project first.

2 Likes

Thank you @mzero I experienced a previous night of pure panic dealing with C6 issues. But tonight it’s smooth sailing with Elk-Herd. i feel confident and in control of my Digitakt.
I sound like an infomercial - but actually true! Beers on me :hugs:

2 Likes

Hi @mzero , quick question - I did a ‘backup & recall’ test tonight … sending a particular project to the DT that i had deleted along with all its samples.

I first transferred all the samples to a folder on the +Drive and then the project file. everything looked fine with the project except i got “???” on one sample.
This sample was in the folder on the +Drive - so I was wondering what other causes may be for this? thanks!

You should look at the source sample for it on your computer. If the source is not 48kHz, mono, 16bit… then the sample will be converted by the transfering program: Elektron’s Transfer, or my elk-herd. There isn’t a guarantee that different programs will do that conversion the same, or even that different revisions of the same program will do it the same¹.

Even if the source didn’t need to be converted, it has to be exactly the same, including any trailing zero samples, for it to register as the same. The DT is going to hash the converted sample - and use that “re-attach” samples to the project’s sample pool.

If you are certain that the sample is exactly the one you originally loaded, and neigher needed conversion … then I don’t know!

2 Likes

Thanks :smiley: Performed the test again… 100%. As that was a sample recorded directly into the DT. I think i may have not fetched the version with that sample. or moved the sample to a new folder on the +Drive after saving. something like that.

1 Like

Hi, I really love this app. It is very useful. However I’ve got a question/suggestion. I’m trying to do backup for a project with the samples, is it possible to download a bunch of the samples from the project along with the .syx file, or if it is not then at least to find them by name and to highlight on the Samples tab to let me download them manually. It might be already implemented and I missed something. I simply would like to clean up my Drive, but I don’t want to remove necessary samples. Thank you for your job!

Single most requested feature! I’m planning on that for 3.1… but I need to get 3.0 final out. (It’s done, I’m just being slow with the holidays and all…)

3 Likes

can you use this to import you own samples onto a model sample? sorry if this was asked before i may have missed it

Yes, I believe it should work as the +Drive for samples is the same architecture as both the Digitakt and the Analog Rytm. I don’t have a M:S, so can’t confirm.

1 Like

Hi MZ—quick question about how Elk-herd loads & saves projects.

Elk-herd seems to LOAD projects as they exists in the “temp” memory, not the saved version of the project. I like this because it means that I don’t have to save the project before editing it in elk-herd.

Should I also assume that when it SENDS data back to the DT, it’s also loading it to the “temp” RAM area, and not the saved version of the project in storage?

In other words, if you make a change you don’t like, can you still reload the pattern from the saved version of the project?

Also I’d like to second DaveMech’s request for a “copy & paste pattern” option or a way to set a default blank pattern option for favorite kits if that’s possible.

Thanks!
KD

I’ve just tried to connect my Rytm mk2 with no luck it says not compatible.
Is there any plans for a Rytm compatable version?

Yes, elk-herd only has access to the loaded version of a project, whether transferring from, or to. the instrument. If you send to the DT, and decide you don’t like what you did, you can just reload from the +Drive.

Warning: if you load project “A” from the +Drive, then later use elk-herd to transfer a totally different project “B” from you computer to the DT… the DT still thinks that the loaded project is “A”, and has no idea where on +Drive “B” may have come from. If at this point you use the Save Project shortcut, you’ll overwrite “A” on the +Drive.

A good habit to get into is to only use the Settings > Project menu when working with elk-herd, since that will make it explicit where you save to.

4 Likes

The sample transfer should work. I’ll double check later today. Project management is for Digitakt only. Support for project management on other instruments may happen in the future.

2 Likes

Hey thanks for the reply, I got it to work by running it in “?slow” mode
think because my library is nearly full.

1 Like

To spread the word and support the cause, I created this tutorial / review of Elk Herd. Thanks again @mzero for your efforts and I hope this will give a little boost to the amount of usage.

14 Likes

@mzero - project import works sooo well. Truly a game changer. Thank you!!

2 Likes

Thanks for your video, helped me understand this. Is elk herd easier for sample import than Transfer?

elk-herd 3.0 is now released: Elk-Herd 3.0

Admins: can you please close this topic?

3 Likes